News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ideologue

Quote from: Savonarola on December 05, 2013, 10:31:34 AM
The Stan Laurel Collection  :bowler:

These are a collection of shorts Stan Laurel :bowler: did before teaming up with Oliver Hardy  :bowler:.  Stan :bowler: was Charlie Chaplin's understudy when they were both with Fred Karno's troupe; and the early films sort of play like Chaplin shorts.  By the end of the period he had fully developed his character; and those films are essentially Laurel  :bowler: without Hardy  :bowler:.  He would be a lot funnier with his partner; but isn't bad on his own.

There's a couple shorts in the collection after he had moved to Hal Roach studios.  One of them has a cameo by the original Little Rascals, another one has Pete the Pup.

I borrowed back the Buster Keaton collection I gave to my dad as a Christmas present.  I'm kind of a monster. :)
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Darth Wagtaros

March of the Wooden Soldiers. Bitchin.

Yogi's First Christmas. NOstalgic-tastic.

Emmett Otter's Jugband Christmas. Kicks all kinds of ass.
PDH!

Ideologue

Bought The Little Mermaid.  As a present.

For myself. -_-
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Josquius

Alan Partridge, Alpha Papa- very good. Teh funny.
██████
██████
██████

Eddie Teach

Finished season 4 of Boardwalk Empire. Not a very strong one. The finale felt like a series finale, lots of threads abruptly tied up rather than developed to a natural conclusion. [spoiler]I did enjoy the fight between Eli and the FBI agent though[/spoiler]
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

11B4V

OK Canucks. Thoughts, ratings, etc on; Shake Hands With The Devil (2007)
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Queequeg

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on December 06, 2013, 01:51:33 AM
Finished season 4 of Boardwalk Empire. Not a very strong one. The finale felt like a series finale, lots of threads abruptly tied up rather than developed to a natural conclusion. [spoiler]I did enjoy the fight between Eli and the FBI agent though[/spoiler]
There is no way Jeffery Wright doesn't deserve an Emmy, though.  That was one of the best performances in TV history. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

The Larch

Orange is the New Black is the shit, you should all watch it. It contains some scenes of lesbian prison sex, if you're into that and it helps you decide.  :P

Syt

Janeway's been bulking up, i see.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Grey Fox

I like how their tranny character is played by a real tranny.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

The Larch

Quote from: Syt on December 06, 2013, 10:23:58 AM

That tends to happen when you run the prison kitchen, I guess.  :lol:

Quote from: Grey Fox on December 06, 2013, 10:24:46 AM

And in the flashbacks, when you see the character's past, the role is played by her twin brother. Freaky coincidence.

Grey Fox

Quote from: The Larch on December 06, 2013, 10:26:35 AM
Quote from: Syt on December 06, 2013, 10:23:58 AM

That tends to happen when you run the prison kitchen, I guess.  :lol:

Quote from: Grey Fox on December 06, 2013, 10:24:46 AM

and are 50+
And in the flashbacks, when you see the character's past, the role is played by her twin brother. Freaky coincidence.

Wow, nice ouverture by the producers there too.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

lustindarkness

TDW season 3 is in the books. Boy that was a good season.  :punk:
I already have the first 5 episodes of season 4 lined up, I hope a good HD copy of episode 6 is available soon, because I'm sure we will blow through them quick.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Savonarola

Quote from: Ideologue on December 05, 2013, 08:53:16 PM
I borrowed back the Buster Keaton collection I gave to my dad as a Christmas present.  I'm kind of a monster. :)

You Fiend!

I recently watched a collection of Fatty Arbuckle shorts co-starring Buster Keaton.  It was before Buster had developed his "Stone face" character so he mugs it up like the rest of the actors.  Buster's role in the early films is largely to be picked up and tossed by Fatty or any of the taller characters.

The most unfortunate gag in the series is one where Fatty chloroforms a woman in order to kiss her.  That's a gag he probably wished he hadn't used; but at least William Randolph Hearst found it inspiring.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock