And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Caliga on October 30, 2013, 07:02:53 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 30, 2013, 06:19:56 PM
He changed around a lot of footage during the Death Star battle.  Looks stupid now.
:hmm: I didn't notice any changes there.

You weren't paying attention.  He swapped out the footage from Ben talking to him before he switched off his targeting computer, and also after he fired his torpedoes.  It's all fucked up.

And Han shot first, goddamnit.

Eddie Teach

Little Mermaid was a great movie, especially considering its limitations. Go back to giving him shit about Days of Thunder.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

11B4V

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 30, 2013, 07:04:44 PM
Little Mermaid gets an A+, but the French Connection gets a B from Oliver Wendell Redaction here.

Even she's like, WTF.

Why you knockin' the Little Mermaid mother fucker.  :mad:
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

CountDeMoney

Another sucker for redheads.  Well fuck you too.

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Ideologue

Yeah, well, Gene Hackman's hips ain't fitting through a fifteen inch porthole.  Nor his dumb proto-hipster hat.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

11B4V

Quote from: Ideologue on October 30, 2013, 07:09:30 PM
Yeah, well, Gene Hackman's hips ain't fitting through a fifteen inch porthole.  Nor his dumb proto-hipster hat.

:mad:

Eddie Teach

He's not a hipster, he was just stuck in the 1890s.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ideologue

Quote from: 11B4V on October 30, 2013, 07:12:06 PM

:mad:

Shush, I'm trying to troll CdM here.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Admiral Yi

The hat was the best part of the movie.

Ideologue

Kinemalogue

Tonitrus

That looks more like a Heisenberg hat.

And as for Disney toons....the Black Cauldron.

lustindarkness

Little Mermaid smells like fish.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Savonarola

It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown

There's a Sopwith Camel at the Warbird Museum in Titusville.   :cool:

One gag I had always missed before is that Lucy is reading a TV Guide with herself on the cover in the scene before Linus goes to mail his letter to the Great Pumpkin.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Ideologue

Victory Through Air Power (1943).  Neil's least favorite Disney movie, and even I have to admit it's filled with not just simplifications nor even mere distortions of fact but straight-up lies.  Alexander de Seversky stars as one of the narrators (and who "in 1918, came to America" for reasons no one seems able to mention), and he is the source of many of them.

Ultimately, it basically boils down to "I sure wish the B-36 and the atom bomb already existed because then World War II sure would be a lot easier to fight."  It ends with a wish-fulfillment sequence where Japan is vaporized from the air, sort of like that part in Grave of the Fireflies, but without any of the self-serving insistence that those kids weren't materially supporting fascism.  And then Japan becomes an octopus and American airpower an eagle and it gets weird.

It's got a fair amount of neat animation throughout, and it's not so hardhearted all the way through.  In fact, it opens with a pleasant and rather whimsical history of the airplane.  However, they fail to mention some of the most interesting aspects of the interwar years, such as the time in the mid-1930s that bears were trained to fly seaplanes and lupine air pirates ruled Southeast Asia or maybe India or something.

C
Kinemalogue