News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Ideologue on October 31, 2013, 12:13:25 AMHowever, they fail to mention some of the most interesting aspects of the interwar years, such as the time in the mid-1930s that bears were trained to fly seaplanes and lupine air pirates ruled Southeast Asia or maybe India or something.

C
Talespin? :lol:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

Duck Tales > all those other 90s Disney cartoons
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Syt

Talespin was ok (I liked the episodes with that Satlinist country), but I liked the show better when it was called Tales of the Gold Monkey.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Viking

First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Ideologue on October 30, 2013, 06:44:02 PM
The Little Mermaid (1989).  (Probably) the best film from Disney's renaissance, notable for its almost flawless animation and entirely flawless soundtrack, also features that movement's most relatable protagonist: Ariel, a young merwoman suffering from loneliness, an inability to relate to her peers, severe body dysmorphia, unconventional sexual desires, and illiteracy.

In one of Western civilization's best metaphors, Ariel gives up her boring frolicks beneath the sea along with her nascent mental illness, trading her voice, the thing that makes her special, to Ursula the Sea Witch in exchange for some fuckable parts and all the risk and opportunity that entails, as finding love is the only way she sees to become a happy adult person, which is in fact still true no matter how many times the stupid, delusional, and sociopathic claim differently.  In the end, the lesson is that without her uniqueness, she's nobody, but just being unique was, of course, not sufficient by a long shot.

And they sure do go out of their way to make it explicit that she's 16, given that the entire movie is about Ariel doing literally anything to get laid.  This is bold storytelling, too, but children of all ages can learn a lot about how just being yourself usually isn't good enough at all.

It does help a lot, however, if you hail from a rich and powerful family, unlike Ursula's other victims, underscoring that in many cases misery remains unavoidable, and even if due to the mysterious workings of the economically powerful you may eventually be freed, most likely it will be only back into the same life of alienation you valued so little you gambled your soul on escape from it--now dogged by the trauma of your long imprisonment and monsterification.

Oh, and I also liked the part where Ursula gets impaled with a ship and explodes like it was Jaws: The Revenge.  That part was cool.

It's better than Aladdin, even though that movie also touches on much the same essential truths from a male point of view, because the songs are better and because Aladdin introduces too many fantastic, unrealistic ideas that break the willing suspension of disbelief, such as pop culture references and class mobility.

A+

^_^
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4b7o4CJDdw
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Ed Anger

Bachelor Party

None of the women had ever sen it, so they get a young Tom Hanks and the hair of Adrian Zmed.

4 insane Tawny Kiteans out of 6
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Ideologue

Quote from: jimmy olsen on October 31, 2013, 05:02:53 AM
^_^

A little clunky lyrically, but the gonorrhea line was a fun subversion of the actual song.  And it's a good impression of Jodi Benson to boot.

Of course, it seems to assume a lot about mermaid physiology.  As far as anybody knows, they fuck like sharks and mantas, which is very broadly analogous to human mechanics.  The merfolk can certainly establish paternity, which suggests internal fertilization.  Or maybe Triton sits on top them eggs for like half a year, zapping other mermen with his trident for the temerity to so much as think as popping a cloud in his general vicinity.  But that's no way to run a government.

Yes, I'll ruin this joke with gusto, because the joke ruins the metaphor.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

P.S. Talespin was a good show.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ed Anger

I went through the entire Disney cartoon TV experience with my nephew. And Darkwing Duck was the bestest of them all.

Ideologue

Launchpad doesn't like to talk about the things he had to do during the war.
Kinemalogue

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Ideologue on October 31, 2013, 06:10:59 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on October 31, 2013, 05:02:53 AM
^_^

A little clunky lyrically, but the gonorrhea line was a fun subversion of the actual song.  And it's a good impression of Jodi Benson to boot.

Of course, it seems to assume a lot about mermaid physiology.  As far as anybody knows, they fuck like sharks and mantas, which is very broadly analogous to human mechanics.  The merfolk can certainly establish paternity, which suggests internal fertilization.  Or maybe Triton sits on top them eggs for like half a year, zapping other mermen with his trident for the temerity to so much as think as popping a cloud in his general vicinity.  But that's no way to run a government.

Yes, I'll ruin this joke with gusto, because the joke ruins the metaphor.
The singer was probably influenced by that Futurama episode where Fry married a mermaid from Atlanta.

1 Karma Chameleon point

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ed Anger on October 31, 2013, 05:59:46 AM
and the hair of Adrian Zmed.

Oh, Adrian Zmed.  The light that burns twice as bright burns half as long.

Ideologue

The Hunchback of Notre Dame (1996).  The phrase "tone problem" was invented in 1996 too.

B
Kinemalogue

Queequeg

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 31, 2013, 07:09:01 AM

Only reason I know that name is because of the time they go to Branson on The Simpsons.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Ed Anger

Quote from: Queequeg on October 31, 2013, 09:19:57 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 31, 2013, 07:09:01 AM

Only reason I know that name is because of the time they go to Branson on The Simpsons.

Young people.  :rolleyes: