News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Ideologue on October 31, 2013, 09:15:15 AM
The Hunchback of Notre Dame (1996).  The phrase "tone problem" was invented in 1996 too.

B

That abomination gets a B?  :mad:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Syt

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 31, 2013, 11:58:37 AM
The Hunchback of Notre Dame (1996).  The phrase "tone problem" was invented in 1996 too.

B

Has the best Disney song - Claude Frollo singing about his boner for the gypsy, and deciding that if he can't have her she will die.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqGL9B_TPTI
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Savonarola

B

I went to the Maison de Victor Hugo in 1999.  They had an entire room dedicated to Disney's Hunchback of Notre Dame.  It was fantastically depressing.   :(
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

The Brain

Quote from: Savonarola on October 31, 2013, 03:35:13 PM

B

I went to the Maison de Victor Hugo in 1999.  They had an entire room dedicated to Disney's Hunchback of Notre Dame.  It was fantastically depressing.   :(

The Murder Room.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Ideologue

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 31, 2013, 11:58:37 AM

B

I was thinking about a C+, but Syt's right, that song's awesome.  In fact, everything but the inane comic relief is great.  But the inane comic relief is terrible.  I was trying to mentally pare them out while I was watching and was--marginally--successful.  The really unfortunate part is how unnecessary the gargoyles were even on their own terms; the movie is not, in its own right, unfunny at all (though dark), but Kevin Kline was evidently not considered toyetic enough.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

frunk

Quote from: Ideologue on October 31, 2013, 04:00:46 PM
--snip-- the movie is not, in its own right, unfunny at all (though dark), but Kevin Kline was evidently not considered toyetic enough.

Too...many...negatives....

Ideologue

The movie is funny in its own right, but most kids want to play with something other than their Kevin Kline dolls.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Admiral Yi

Can someone remind me what the chick's issue with the law and/or church was in the original?

Eddie Teach

Eddie Teach

15th century France wasn't a very tolerant place.

Really her problem with the church was that the priest wanted to bang her, and her problem with the law was that the dude she did bang let everyone think she'd killed him.

Also, she apparently married The Brain.

Viking

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 31, 2013, 04:32:23 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 31, 2013, 04:30:17 PM
She's a gypsy.

Seriously?  That's it?

Yeah, the priest can't decide if he want's to fuck her or burn her for a witch.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Tonitrus

That could be almost any male-female relationship.

Viking

Quote from: Tonitrus on October 31, 2013, 05:02:27 PM
That could be almost any male-female relationship.

That's why the Hunchback is a classic as opposed to the bland irrelevance of Pocahontas and pretty much every Disney movie since then. 
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Eddie Teach

The Hunchback is a classic; the Disney Hunchback is an abomination. Though I suppose you may be lumping it in as it did come after Pocahontas.