News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 31, 2013, 04:37:14 PM
15th century France wasn't a very tolerant place.

Really her problem with the church was that the priest wanted to bang her, and her problem with the law was that the dude she did bang let everyone think she'd killed him.

Also, she apparently married The Brain.

It was arranged by my parents.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Viking

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 31, 2013, 05:12:33 PM
The Hunchback is a classic; the Disney Hunchback is an abomination. Though I suppose you may be lumping it in as it did come after Pocahontas.

The hunchback contained the last bit of interesting content from disney. Certainly not good, it was half-way not-bland.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Savonarola

Frankenstein (1931)

When STEM Degrees Go Bad...

In a strange coincidence I've been listening to a series of lectures from UC Berkeley about the ray even higher than the ultraviolet (Soft x-rays); the part of the spectrum that Dr. Frankenstein uses to create life.  (The prof must not have gotten to the part about creating life yet; he keeps getting bogged down in Maxwell's equations.)  X-rays had been known since the end of the 19th century, but electro-magnetism was still so mysterious at this point that it could be imbued with all sorts of fantastic properties.

Even though in the end female intuition and torches triumph over the cold hand of science (:()  this is a great movie.  The camera work is far in advance of most movies of the era.  Boris Karloff's mute performance is one of the best in his career.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Ideologue

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on October 28, 2013, 08:13:31 AM
You shoudl watch the Topper movies Ide. Those and Harvey.

I'm glad I came back to this to look up some stuff; you reminded me.  Harvey: going on the queueueueue.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

The Last Stand (2013).  Either it took me a long time to understand what this movie was going for, or it took a long time to decide on its tone, but in the end it's a rather fun, rather goofy actioner that serves as a substantial blow for our 2d Amendment rights and a pretty effective ad for General Motors.

Arnold Schwarzenegger is a small town sheriff whose home on the Mexican border becomes the egress point for a drug kingpin who's mobilized a small army to extract him from the States.  When one of his deputies dies, he, his fellow cops, and the heavily armed civilian volunteers they've joined forces with prepare for a last stand to stop the crime lord before he reaches freedom, and Yuri Orlov profits.

It's not great or even very good, largely owing to the long set-up, some really goofy parts with the oblivious locals that feel like they're out of a full-on parody, and the curious omissions on the part of Peter Stormare's miniboss character subsequent to a mid-film action scene which should have spurred him to a more aggressive pursuit of our heroes, or at least a pursuit of any kind, but The Last Stand's extended set-piece finale is well worth watching.

Be on the lookout for the sequence with a conscripted schoolbus, Breaking Bad-style we-attached-the-camera-to-shit POV shots, and a Vickers (!) machine gun; and also a climactic car chase (between a namechecked Corvette ZR1 and Chekov's illegally parked Camaro SS) that is weird and inventive and could have gone even further and taken some cues from submarine cinema of all things, but doesn't and is thus slightly unsatisfying as a partly wasted opportunity.

There is fantastic use of The Last Stand's R rating for violence, however--it's like a 2 Guns that's not dribbling herpetic cum down its chin.  Not that there's anything wrong with anonymous fellatio; it's just an figure of speech.  This movie's alright.

B
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Liep

Man of Steel. First superman film I've ever seen, and I don't really get him. So the only question is should he abandon his own kind and assimilate completely with the 'Mericans or terraform the hell out of earth. Of course he chooses the humans, because he's from Kansas and shit. And Amy Adams. We're never really in doubt whether or not this man is good or bad, or if he's going to die or not.

But it's still nicely shot and somewhat entertaining. 5 okay-he's-been-thrown-into-enough-buildings-now out of 10.

Or as Ide would put it: C
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Ideologue

I dunno.  A C's pretty terrible.  You ain't getting a job on the Orient Express with a C.
Kinemalogue

Liep

A C is average, is it not? I dream of this being the average for action movies. Then it would be more shameful to produce such trash as Pacific Rim.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Admiral Yi

In educational terms a C means you pass the class but you're a fucking meathead.

In terms of movies I think C means I managed to sit all the way through without slitting my wrists.

An average, "I enjoyed some parts but this did not rock my world" grade is a B.

Gups

I'd put C as the straight down the middle average.

If B is your average, you haven't made gradations available between quite good, good, very good, excellent and film of the year.

Admiral Yi

You do that with the pluses and minuses.

Josquius

In academics as in movies an A is amazing, top 10%, a B is merely every day good whilst a C is 'good enough'.
██████
██████
██████

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

PDH

A means hot chick, not too dumb
B means tries hard, kinda plain chick
C means dude or weird emo chick
D means texts too much, even if hot chick
F means foreign kid

We're talking about university grading, right?
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

garbon

Quote from: Tyr on November 01, 2013, 07:27:39 AM
In academics as in movies an A is amazing, top 10%, a B is merely every day good whilst a C is 'good enough'.

Actually in academics, people with Cs get worried looks and talks about how they need to apply themselves more.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.