TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

Quote from: Neil on October 12, 2013, 09:47:02 PM
Quote from: The Larch on October 10, 2013, 05:54:02 PM
Quote from: viper37 on October 10, 2013, 12:42:41 PM
Quote from: The Larch on October 10, 2013, 10:43:15 AM
As long as you can brush aside the fact that the evil industrialist hellbent in evading regulation and interference by governments and agencies would set up shop in Malta of all places...
it's easier to pronounce than Liechtenstein. ;)

Being Marvel, I'm dissapointed they didn't use Genosha or Madripoor.  :lol:
Genosha involves too much mutant stuff.

Unless I'm mistaken, the rights to Genosha and Madripoor are owned by Fox anyway.  They'd presumptively fall under the X-Men deal.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Neil

Fox doesn't have the TV rights for fuck all.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Ideologue

Hmm, fair enough.  I thought TV was included in their deal.

Finished up Captain Phillips:  The handheld camera is an enemy of all mankind

I was vacillating on the ultimate grade, but the very strong script and incredibly strong performances netted it a B.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Admiral Yi

"We Bought a Zoo."

Newly widowed Matt Damon buys a rural zoo and takes his two children there with him.

Will Matt's money be enough to refurbish the zoo?  Will the hard case zoo inspector give them a permit?  Will Matt and his son work out their difficult relationship?  Will Matt and zookeeper Scarlett Johansen hook up? 

Watch and find out the answers to all these questions!

It's OK.  Somewhere between an after school special and an actual movie.

Syt

I guess I'll rather watch Fierce Creatures again.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Ideologue

Kinemalogue

jimmy olsen

I always thought if Bill Nye tried to destroy the human race that there would be more science involved. :unsure:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxOSPfUw3qw
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

I kinda liked the Frankenstein monster surviving into modern times angle, but then they go and throw angels and demons in the mix.  :hmm:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ideologue

CdM's avatar got me thinking, in WarGames, if the SAC guys have guns, doesn't that undermine the two key system?
Kinemalogue

The Brain

Quote from: Ideologue on October 13, 2013, 02:15:33 AM
CdM's avatar got me thinking, in WarGames, if the SAC guys have guns, doesn't that undermine the two key system?

No, since it's a two gun system.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Ideologue

Quote from: The Brain on October 13, 2013, 02:37:20 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on October 13, 2013, 02:15:33 AM

No, since it's a two gun system.

I get it.  Whoa.
Kinemalogue

The Larch

Quote from: Ideologue on October 12, 2013, 11:09:30 PM
Quote from: Neil on October 12, 2013, 09:47:02 PM
Quote from: The Larch on October 10, 2013, 05:54:02 PM
Quote from: viper37 on October 10, 2013, 12:42:41 PM
Quote from: The Larch on October 10, 2013, 10:43:15 AM
As long as you can brush aside the fact that the evil industrialist hellbent in evading regulation and interference by governments and agencies would set up shop in Malta of all places...
it's easier to pronounce than Liechtenstein. ;)

Being Marvel, I'm dissapointed they didn't use Genosha or Madripoor.  :lol:
Genosha involves too much mutant stuff.

Unless I'm mistaken, the rights to Genosha and Madripoor are owned by Fox anyway.  They'd presumptively fall under the X-Men deal.

That reminded me, there was an issue with Quicksilver and the Scarlet Witch and their movie rights, as they appear both in X-Men and Avengers. It must have been solved, as Quicksilver is going to appear both in X-Men: Days of Future Past and The Avengers 2, and the Scarlet Witch will be in Avengers 2.

jimmy olsen

IIRC they can be in it, but the word mutant can not be uttered on screen.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Savonarola

Dr. Renault's Secret (1942)

This is Fox's attempt to cash in on a cheap quick B Horror movie as RKO and Universal were doing.  The story has no big names, reuses sets from other films and clocks in at 58 minutes.

The story is straightforward American Doctor arrives in small French village to marry a local.  Her uncle is a renowned psychiatrist who keeps a collection of odd characters around; one is an ex-convict, the other is an odd sort with simian features and a crush on French Fiancee.  Suddenly people start dying, but who is the real culprit?

Character actor George Zucco does a good job as the mad scientist.  J. Carrol Naish gives an extraordinary performance as the monster; one worthy of Lon Chaney Sr.  Fox tried to bill him as the next Lon Chaney; but, of course, there was already another Lon Chaney at Universal.

(Lon Chaney Jr. was actually named Creighton Chaney.  He said he changed his name and immediately started getting parts.)
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.