Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Syt

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on October 10, 2013, 09:35:56 AM
How many Nazi episodes did Voyager have? Or am I thinking of Enterprise?  Seemed like there was a time travel episode every few weeks.

On holodeck, but still:

And there was the episode with the Cardassian version of Mengele.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

viper37

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on October 10, 2013, 09:06:46 AM
Agents of SHIELD isn't terribly impressive so far.
I thought this week episode was moderatly better than the 2 first ones.  There is still hope for this show, I think.

Haven't watched Revolution yet.  I'm unsure I should keep watching it, it's not terribly good.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Syt on October 10, 2013, 09:42:44 AM
Oh, wait, it was on the Holodeck, right?  Fucking Holodeck shows.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Viking

Quote from: Syt on October 10, 2013, 09:42:44 AM
Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on October 10, 2013, 09:35:56 AM
How many Nazi episodes did Voyager have? Or am I thinking of Enterprise?  Seemed like there was a time travel episode every few weeks.

On holodeck, but still:

It's an eternal sci fi trope. Even Bab5 had the Dilgar, proper space nazis, not pathetic time travel nazis.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Larch

Quote from: viper37 on October 10, 2013, 09:43:17 AM
I thought this week episode was moderatly better than the 2 first ones.  There is still hope for this show, I think.

As long as you can brush aside the fact that the evil industrialist hellbent in evading regulation and interference by governments and agencies would set up shop in Malta of all places...

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: The Larch on October 10, 2013, 10:43:15 AM

As long as you can brush aside the fact that the evil industrialist hellbent in evading regulation and interference by governments and agencys would set up shop in Malta of all places...
I don't know. Maltese security was pretty hard core.
PDH!

Scipio

Latest episode of Arrow was great.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

viper37

As long as you can brush aside the fact that the evil industrialist hellbent in evading regulation and interference by governments and agencies would set up shop in Malta of all places...
it's easier to pronounce than Liechtenstein. ;)

Savonarola

Reap The Wild Wind (1942)

A Cecil B. Demille epic extravaganza of the sea set in the 1840s in the Florida Keys.  At the time sail is America's lifeline, but some salvagers on the keys were deliberately leading ships onto the reefs.  John Wayne plays a sea captain who runs afoul of salvagers.  Paulette Goddard plays a boisterous girl who runs an honest salvage company; and seems to be trying to show how *she* would have played Scarlet O'Hara throughout the film.  Ray Milland is the naval lawyer who tries to bring law, order and civilization to Florida (quit snickering, all of you.)

The story is a rollicking good yarn; only bogged down by a long court room scene in the middle of the adventure.  John Wayne plays an ultimately heroic man, but not a good man (he would later say that his purpose in the film was to make Ray Milland look like a real man.)  When the film was released he was third billing behind Milland and Goddard.  When it was rereleased a decade later he was top followed by Susan Hayward (who only has a small role) and then Milland and Goddard.

There's also a fight with a giant squid in this film.  The studio donated the squid prop (which was made of rubber) to the war effort; thus starting Japan's longstanding problems with giant tentacle monsters.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Tonitrus

Haven't watched Revolution yet.  I'm unsure I should keep watching it, it's not terribly good.

Season 2 isn't getting any better.

Josephus

Star Trek Voyager was my second favourite after STNG. Not saying it was that great, but found it better than DS9 and that catastrophe that followed.

STNG, though, was miles ahead of what came before and what followed.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

The Larch

Quote from: viper37 on October 10, 2013, 12:42:41 PM
it's easier to pronounce than Liechtenstein. ;)

Being Marvel, I'm dissapointed they didn't use Genosha or Madripoor.  :lol: