News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Liep

Pacific Rim. CGI trash, should've skipped it after that terrible character intro with the umbrella. Besides, Rinko Kikuchi isn't a very good actor, or just suffers from bad-director syndrome. Norwegian Wood sucked monkeyballs. But Hellboy was pretty good. :hmm: Yeah, it's her.

2 why would the fighter jets fly directly into the stationary monster? out of 10

Also, Charlie Day is the new hope.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Ideologue

I thought Kikuchi had, like, the only good dramatic performance in the movie.  Not a lot to work with, though.  My memory keeps getting kinder to Pac Rim, because monsters!!!11, but then I force myself to remember the shitty parts.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

MadImmortalMan

Some episode of Voyager where Chakotay crashes his shuttle on a planet where people talk from a thesaurus. How many damn shuttles were on that ship, anyway? Can they replicate new ones?
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Ideologue

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on October 09, 2013, 08:52:52 PM
Some episode of Voyager where Chakotay crashes his shuttle on a planet where people talk from a thesaurus. How many damn shuttles were on that ship, anyway? Can they replicate new ones?

I think something like 30 crashed.  It was a terrible program.

Finally found the time to finish Grand Prix (1966).  Really concretely set out what Rush was missing: namely, someone you cared about fucking dying.  Probably my favorite character, too. :(

If that's a little too dark (James Hunt and Niki Lauda being real dudes, who did not die till later, though God knows they took enough liberties with their stories that they could have put Hunt into a tree), it's also because the main three racers, Paul Aron (James Garner), Scott Stoddard (Brian Bedford), and Jean-Pierre Sarti (Yves Montano) are given the opportunity to breathe as characters, and it doesn't hurt that they all are constantly in doubt about whether courting death is worth it.  And for what it's worth, Scott Stoddard's struggle to get back into the driver's seat after his crippling accident seems to last more than a night in the hospital.  (I also liked all their respective love interests, who are actually characters in their own right in this movie.)

Thus, while it's never as densely funny as Rush, and the best racing/effects bits are inferior to the best in Rush (the dummy standing in for ____ when _____ goes through the guardrail is, um, a little noticeable), it's sure a lot more emotionally resonant.

(And Grand Prix is on occasion very funny. Toshiro Mifune, reading his lines phoenetically, says the darnedest things.  I was also amused by someone named J.P. Sart(i) musing on the "absurdity" of his life.  :shutup: )

B+
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ed Anger

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on October 09, 2013, 08:52:52 PM

Space 1999 had that same problem. They just kept bringing Eagles out, even though in every episode, it seemed like one crashed/blasted.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Sophie Scholl

Arrow returned tonight.  Great show, and it looks like the cast of superheroes is increasing.  Hopefully they keep it to the same standard as season 1.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Ideologue on October 05, 2013, 09:37:27 AM
Why?  How many grim Godzilla movies about genocide-by-airpower have there been?  Two, or three, if you count Raids Again and Return of?  (Godzilla 1985, at least, is really not so grim; it has the X-1 and cool lasers.)

And how many demonstrably fun, colorful ones about mind control and aliens and aquamen have there been?  About twenty.

Leaving aside the fact that Gojira '54 started it all, when you get down to it, which set of Godzilla films has fired the imaginations of three generations?  The answer is "the one that has Ghidorah in it."

On the other hand, when you try to be fun and colorful, it's entirely possible to get missteps like Pacific Rim, whereas grim is probably easier and more salable.  So I certainly don't begrudge them.  And I totally saw another monster in there, so that's cool.  I still have some hope it won't be totally joyless.

P.S. I also am glad you posted it though. :)
Is this more what you had in mind?

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Viking

First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Ideologue

Man, I love Godzilla vs. The Thing, but I can understand if some young Americans were disappointed when it turned out he was fighting a giant moth, then her two caterpillar kids.
Kinemalogue

Darth Wagtaros

Agents of SHIELD isn't terribly impressive so far.

Looking forward to watching Arrow though. 

Star Trek Voyager should never have been made.  It was without any redeeming value. 
PDH!

garbon

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on October 10, 2013, 09:06:46 AM
Star Trek Voyager should never have been made.  It was without any redeeming value. 

:angry:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on October 10, 2013, 09:06:46 AM

You are so wrong. You are Nazi Germany.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Darth Wagtaros

How many Nazi episodes did Voyager have? Or am I thinking of Enterprise?  Seemed like there was a time travel episode every few weeks.
PDH!

garbon

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on October 10, 2013, 09:35:56 AM
How many Nazi episodes did Voyager have? Or am I thinking of Enterprise?  Seemed like there was a time travel episode every few weeks.

I believe you might be thinking about Voyager's holodeck.

Also apparently nazis or neo-nazis featured in Original, NextGen, Voyager and Enterprise.

http://memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/Nazi
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.