News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

Go see the fuck out of Gravity.

It is like 97% perfect (3% unbelievably terrible, and you'll know it, not if, but when you see it, but nobody's perfect, probably especially father-son writing teams).

First 3D movie I've seen since Avatar; that aspect was great, much, much cooler than the why-did-we-give-a-shit-again? 3D in Cameron's effort.

So A+

Probably fuller review later.

P.S. IMAX is really fucking loud.  I mean, the preview for Captain Phillips was louder than being in front of the speakers at the Rancid concert I went to a few weeks ago.  I am guessing, and I'm not being hyperbolic, 105db.  That's probably too loud.  The feature was better, but still averaging along the lines of 75-80db, just below safe levels, and no doubt peaking higher occasionally.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Admiral Yi

I'm pumped about Gravity.  If it sticks around long enough I might even take a dip at the big screen.

Syt

What' the feeling on Rush? Since it's partially about Niki Lauda there's naturally a lot of noise about the movie in Austria. Is it any good? I'm not a big racing fan, though. On the other hand I have a bit of a mancrush on Chris Hemsworth.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

katmai

Was really good film, one of my favorites of 2013.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ideologue on October 05, 2013, 01:42:12 AM
Go see the fuck out of Gravity.

It is like 97% perfect

So A+

I'll wait for more reviews.  You'd give a the dog across the street a B+ for this morning's steamer.

katmai

katmai

First casualty of new TV season, show called Lucky 7 about group of convenience store workers who win the lottery. Only lasted two airings :lol:

Ideologue

Quote from: Syt on October 05, 2013, 02:34:42 AM
What' the feeling on Rush? Since it's partially about Niki Lauda there's naturally a lot of noise about the movie in Austria. Is it any good? I'm not a big racing fan, though. On the other hand I have a bit of a mancrush on Chris Hemsworth.

The movie suffers badly from being written like a Wikipedia article for a good forty minutes in the middle (though it benefits from having more cursing), and from tension draining at a crucial moment (though it is unexpected).  That said, it's fun, the cinematography is breathtaking, and Hunt and especially Lauda are a pretty fantastic characters, played well by their present-day clones.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 05, 2013, 02:13:39 AM
I'm pumped about Gravity.  If it sticks around long enough I might even take a dip at the big screen.

Yeah, it's a real big screen film.
Kinemalogue

Ideologue

Quote from: jimmy olsen on October 05, 2013, 05:37:24 AM
Godzilla 2014! It's Oppenheimeriffic! :w00t:

http://vimeo.com/76176358

Hooray.  It's grim.

I'm sure it'll still be fine.
Kinemalogue

Kleves

Quote from: jimmy olsen on October 05, 2013, 05:37:24 AM
Godzilla 2014! It's Oppenheimeriffic! :w00t:

http://vimeo.com/76176358
Wow, that's pretty dark for a series that last looked like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqHeu-eB24k. I like it. Thanks for the trailer, Tim.
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Ideologue on October 05, 2013, 08:44:59 AM

Hooray.  It's grim.

I'm sure it'll still be fine.
You're saying that like being grim is a problem!? :blink:

It's Godzilla. It should be grim as hell.

^^^ You're welcome Kleves.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Ideologue

Why?  How many grim Godzilla movies about genocide-by-airpower have there been?  Two, or three, if you count Raids Again and Return of?  (Godzilla 1985, at least, is really not so grim; it has the X-1 and cool lasers.)

And how many demonstrably fun, colorful ones about mind control and aliens and aquamen have there been?  About twenty.

Leaving aside the fact that Gojira '54 started it all, when you get down to it, which set of Godzilla films has fired the imaginations of three generations?  The answer is "the one that has Ghidorah in it."

On the other hand, when you try to be fun and colorful, it's entirely possible to get missteps like Pacific Rim, whereas grim is probably easier and more salable.  So I certainly don't begrudge them.  And I totally saw another monster in there, so that's cool.  I still have some hope it won't be totally joyless.

P.S. I also am glad you posted it though. :)
Kinemalogue

The Brain

Is Gravity pure slapstick? I saw some trailer that had people fumbling around and falling hysterically.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.