News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

:huh:

You wouldn't happen to be mixing Grallon and Habsburg up by any chance?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

CountDeMoney

I probably am.  My bad, G.

Where the hell is Habsburg anyway?

katmai

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 10, 2013, 08:09:02 PM
I probably am.  My bad, G.

Where the hell is Habsburg anyway?

He comes by around Oscars time if at all anymore.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Josephus

Quote from: The Larch on October 10, 2013, 07:26:47 PM
Hey Joe, here's something for you to read if you're interested about the last SHIELD episode.  ;)

http://www.maltatoday.com.mt/en/magazinedetails/magazine/entertainment/Malta-houses-evil-scientist-in-Agents-of-S-H-I-E-L-D-episode-20131010

Interesting. I didn't know any of this

The translation is accurate too. "Periklu" means danger...and the rest is right. Wow...cool.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Josephus

Quote from: Grallon on October 10, 2013, 07:46:14 PM
Any fans of Breaking Bad here?  My co-workers are all fanatics.  I was given the 1st & 2nd season but haven't watched them yet.

G.

No. Like no one's been talking about it at all for the past three months.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Ideologue

I hated it, that's why I spent $40 on the fifth season four weeks before it got loaded onto Netflix.

Actually, I am still pretty pissed about that... especially since I didn't find the time/will to sit down for the eight hour spell till after it was already on Instant Watch. :grr: :lol:
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Watched Captain Phillips, directed by Paul Greengrass, and with gorgeous photography by his longtime DP, Michael J. Fox.  Really good movie, really great Tom Hanks performance, and I'm fucking seasick.  Full review whenever I get around to it.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Hey, katmai, you work with cameras and shit.  Have you seen Captain Phillips?  I'm trying to figure out the exact reason for that shitty green fuzz that seems to permeate the scenes shot (or at least set) at night.  Digital camera with the ISO set to a zillion?  I don't think 35mm produces that kind of effect (graininess yes, green blinky lights, no), but I lack the technical background.  Several different cameras were used on the film, including a Canon EOS C300 and Arri Alexa (digital), but also 35mm shoulder-mounted jobs, including a Aaton Penelope, but also an Arricam LT, which is like a real camera.  I assume that the Canon or Arri Alexa were used in these scenes for space and "aesthetic" reasons.
Kinemalogue

katmai

I haven't seen it yet, just came out yesterday yes?

I've used the Arri's and Canon, never used the Aaton's

Ideologue

Yep.

I was hoping you could tell me about what would cause that kind of effect.  I can reasonably guess, but that would be a very high ISO, right?
Kinemalogue

katmai

I'm sure that would be part of it, can't say for sure if that is all till seen the film.

Ideologue

Kinemalogue

katmai

Quote from: Ideologue on October 12, 2013, 09:14:30 PM
Cool.  Thanks. :)

Planning a Gravity/ CP double feature next week if get the chance :P

Ideologue

Quote from: katmai on October 12, 2013, 09:18:23 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on October 12, 2013, 09:14:30 PM
Cool.  Thanks. :)

Planning a Gravity/ CP double feature next week if get the chance :P

If going for 3D, do IMAX for Gravity.  I watched in a regular theater and it was much dimmer and seemed like it had less depth.

I base this solely on the trailer for Phillips that played before Gravity when I saw the latter in IMAX, but it convinced me to avoid an IMAX showing for Phillips like the fucking plague.  Like I mentioned last week, it was, no joke, set at airliner decibel levels.  That may just be the trailer, but I was no chancing that (also, Phillips in IMAX would have made me lose my lunch).
Kinemalogue

Neil

Quote from: The Larch on October 10, 2013, 05:54:02 PM
Quote from: viper37 on October 10, 2013, 12:42:41 PM
Quote from: The Larch on October 10, 2013, 10:43:15 AM
As long as you can brush aside the fact that the evil industrialist hellbent in evading regulation and interference by governments and agencies would set up shop in Malta of all places...
it's easier to pronounce than Liechtenstein. ;)

Being Marvel, I'm dissapointed they didn't use Genosha or Madripoor.  :lol:
Genosha involves too much mutant stuff.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.