News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Finished re-watching Battlestar Galactica. Ending was still dreadful. I think one of the biggest issues was that the 2nd half of the final episode (I guess Daybreak Pt III) was entirely superfluous.  When your series finale wraps up with multiple jumps to events taking place before the start of the series (the characters lives when Zak Adama was alive and when Roslin slept with one of her former students), you know you are in for trouble.

Perhaps similar to how Lost ended without satisfactorily explaining most of the mysteries in the series, though I don't know as I gave up on Lost early on. :D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Habbaku

Quote from: garbon on September 10, 2013, 12:46:28 AM
Perhaps similar to how Lost ended without satisfactorily explaining most of the mysteries in the series, though I don't know as I gave up on Lost early on. :D

Lucky SOB.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Eddie Teach

The 100,000 year time table was pretty ridiculous. Even assuming Adama managed to snuff out all high tech knowledge among the survivors, at the very least people would start planting crops.

Lost was ok. The mysteries were a bust but the character dramas were still more compelling than most shows.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 10, 2013, 12:58:20 AM
The 100,000 year time table was pretty ridiculous. Even assuming Adama managed to snuff out all high tech knowledge among the survivors, at the very least people would start planting crops.

Presumably they mostly just starved to death, what with most of them not being equipped for pastoral life.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josquius

That does seem logical given the fire the ships into the sun crap.
I'd like to pretend though that something bad happened hundreds of years later that destroyed their civilization.
██████
██████
██████

The Brain

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 09, 2013, 05:06:51 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on September 09, 2013, 04:51:08 PM
Quote from: The Brain on September 09, 2013, 04:31:31 PM
Started watching Band of Brothers. Schwimmer, nooooo!!! :(

:lol:

That was my first reaction when I first saw the show.  But keeping watching it gets much better.
Maybe the Brain actually feels bad for Schwimmer's character?  :hmm:

:yes: :(
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

Quote from: Tyr on September 10, 2013, 01:12:11 AM
That does seem logical given the fire the ships into the sun crap.
I'd like to pretend though that something bad happened hundreds of years later that destroyed their civilization.

Maybe the remaining humanoid cylons (unless we are to believe all of Cavil's forces were on the colony - which clearly they were not as there weren't the remaining base ships about) attacked later. Or the centurion ones attacked. :D

Viking

Lost was ok. The mysteries were a bust but the character dramas were still more compelling than most shows.

meh, immediately after adama gets rid of tech, Toba happens.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: garbon on September 10, 2013, 01:05:09 AM

Presumably they mostly just starved to death, what with most of them not being equipped for pastoral life.
It's about the characters!
PDH!

dps

Finished re-watching Battlestar Galactica. Ending was still dreadful. I think one of the biggest issues was that the 2nd half of the final episode (I guess Daybreak Pt III) was entirely superfluous.  When your series finale wraps up with multiple jumps to events taking place before the start of the series (the characters lives when Zak Adama was alive and when Roslin slept with one of her former students), you know you are in for trouble.

That's a problem with shows that have overall story arcs--they almost never wrap things up in a reasonably satisfactory manner.  Only exceptions I can think of offhand are Babylon 5 and The Fugitive.  Well, maybe The Prisoner--you can't really say the finale explained everything, but given the surreal nature of the show, that was appropriate IMO.

Syt

Quote from: dps on September 10, 2013, 07:23:59 AM

That's a problem with shows that have overall story arcs--they almost never wrap things up in a reasonably satisfactory manner.  Only exceptions I can think of offhand are Babylon 5 and The Fugitive.  Well, maybe The Prisoner--you can't really say the finale explained everything, but given the surreal nature of the show, that was appropriate IMO.

DS9, too. Well, if you can buy into Sisko's "Ascension".
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Viking

Quote from: dps on September 10, 2013, 07:23:59 AM

Even B5 went through the omg we're cancelled rush during season 4 so they finished off the story arc and then they got a season 5 and they stretched the entire good-by episode into a full season. They also compressed the remainder of the final season into a single episode at the end of season 4. All in all it made for a fast paced action packed season 4 and then a drawn out rather boring season 5 with a touching final episode in which all the groundwork had been properly laid.

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

frunk

I thought the second half of season 5 picked up a bit particularly with the G'Kar/Mollari storyline, but the first half was dreadful.

Syt

Quote from: frunk on September 10, 2013, 10:52:45 AM
I thought the second half of season 5 picked up a bit particularly with the G'Kar/Mollari storyline, but the first half was dreadful.

REMEMBER BYRON! :bleeding:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Viking

Quote from: frunk on September 10, 2013, 10:52:45 AM

JMS was probably thinking, hey with no plot to advance, why not make use of these two fantastic actors and the fantastic characters he created for them.