Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Savonarola

I watched the first season of "Adventure Time."  It's weird and wonderful.   :)

I read that in the third season there was an implied relationship between Princess Bubblegum and Marceline the Vampire Queen.  That sounded like fan-fiction run amok.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

frunk

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 09, 2013, 06:31:25 PM

I was speaking to the specific Friends paradigm, and the works that spawned directly from it.  Let's not bring previous generations of male-dominated television writing into this, as that is a different dynamic.

It seems like a continuation of the previous dynamic.  Less than attractive guys can get attractive women.  How did the dynamic change?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: frunk on August 09, 2013, 08:48:04 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 09, 2013, 06:31:25 PM

I was speaking to the specific Friends paradigm, and the works that spawned directly from it.  Let's not bring previous generations of male-dominated television writing into this, as that is a different dynamic.

It seems like a continuation of the previous dynamic.  Less than attractive guys can get attractive women.  How did the dynamic change?

Female empowerment in the post Roe v Wade world versus male-dominated Don Draper expectations. 

dps

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 09, 2013, 03:41:36 PM
Quote from: Barrister on August 09, 2013, 03:39:43 PM
The more I think about it, I can't think of any lead actress on a sitcom who wasn't attractive.

Well, besides Roseanne.

Lucille Ball.

Lucy certainly wasn't hot, but I wouldn't call her unattractive.  Roseanne Barr, though, definately was unattractive.

Quote from: Admiral YiDrawing a complete blank on Newhart's hos.

Susan Pleshette from the 70s series, Mary Frann from the 80s series. 

CountDeMoney

Quote from: dps on August 09, 2013, 09:18:21 PM
Lucille Ball.

Lucy certainly wasn't hot, but I wouldn't call her unattractive. 

Actually, she was quite the starlet in her younger years.  I Love Lucy arrived when she didn't have too much tread on the tires left, but back in her earlier career, she was considered a sexpot.

dps

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 09, 2013, 09:22:42 PM
Quote from: dps on August 09, 2013, 09:18:21 PM
Lucille Ball.

Lucy certainly wasn't hot, but I wouldn't call her unattractive. 

Actually, she was quite the starlet in her younger years.  I Love Lucy arrived when she didn't have too much tread on the tires left, but back in her earlier career, she was considered a sexpot.

Yeah, I was aware of that (though I've not actually seen pics that demonstrate it) but I was talking about her TV days.

Eddie Teach

Modern Family - hot chick with expensive tastes marrying rich old dude? That never happens.
I Dream of Jeannie- Dude's an astronaut ffs. Also, she is contractually obligated.
Many of these other suggestions involve housewives who are very well provided for...

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

dps

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 09, 2013, 09:44:43 PM

Many of these other suggestions involve housewives who are very well provided for...

Yeah, I think that was what CdM was getting at when he talked about "male-dominated" TV writing.  Those older shows were set in a time when women were expected to get married and become full-time homemakers, plus almost all of them featured families that were at least comfortably well-off financially.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: dps on August 09, 2013, 09:52:59 PM
Yeah, I think that was what CdM was getting at when he talked about "male-dominated" TV writing.  Those older shows were set in a time when women were expected to get married and become full-time homemakers, plus almost all of them featured families that were at least comfortably well-off financially.

Exactly.  Hot chicks got married to average men with well-paying jobs because Mother and society told them to.

dps

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 09, 2013, 10:02:28 PM
Quote from: dps on August 09, 2013, 09:52:59 PM

Exactly.  Hot chicks got married to average men with well-paying jobs because Mother and society told them to.

I'm not sure that's really changed.  Women are still judged largely on their looks, and men are still judged largely on their financial status.  That's why you don't see many TV wives that look like Roseanne, or many TV husbands who flip burgers for a living.  I'm not saying that it's right, just that that's how it is.  The difference is that now, the wife IRL gets to flip burgers for a living, too.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 09, 2013, 10:02:28 PM

Biology does too, at least at the conscious level. (And even at the subconscious level, while not exactly pretty, these men are much larger and stronger than their mates).
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

frunk

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 09, 2013, 08:52:04 PM

Female empowerment in the post Roe v Wade world versus male-dominated Don Draper expectations.

So you were expecting things to change, and they didn't?

lustindarkness

Quote from: lustindarkness on July 23, 2013, 02:03:31 PM
There seems to be a good modern day western I have missed or it was not as good as it seems and I don't remember it. :unsure: I'll have to watch it.

Unforgiven (1992), Clint Eastwood, Gene Hackman, Morgan Freeman. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0105695/

Deficiency corrected, finally made the time to watch it. Excellent movie, just excellent.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom