News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 09, 2013, 02:54:54 PM
Unfortunately, it did happen on television, thus paving the way for other IRL Impossibilities such as King of Queens, According to Jim, Everybody Loves Raymond, and The George Lopez Show in the You-Gotta-Be-Kidding-Me-Really sitcom matchups that would never, ever occur in reality.

Are you being sarcastic?  I dont know the Lopez show but I dont see the mismatches in the other shows.  Actually pretty accurate of real life.

King of Queens  - short girl with decent looks marries short guy who once might have been on the football team - both are in pretty much dead end jobs but hey the sex in high school was great so it seemed like a good idea at the time.

According to Jim - dont really know this one but from the little I do know, dumb blonde marries dumb husband - sex in high school was great so it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Everybody loves Raymond - Really dont see the mismatch at all.

Now Modern Family is one.  Every once in a while I muse to my wife that starting another family with a hott Columbian might not be half bad. :D

Admiral Yi

The chick in King of Queens is pretty tasty.  The chick in According to Jim is an ultrapussy.

Malthus

They play the hell out of that trope on the Simpsons.  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

crazy canuck

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 09, 2013, 04:13:47 PM
The chick in King of Queens is pretty tasty.  The chick in According to Jim is an ultrapussy.

The first was fairly plain and very short.  Dime a dozen by Vancouver standards.  The second one meh, matter of taste.  Again pretty standard fair for most major urban areas I would think.

Viking

BTW, Leah Rimini is right now involved in some sort of coup de etat within scientology. Soo.. batshit.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Viking

Just watched G.I. Joe Retaliation; it was actually quite good. The script was free of plot holes, the action was decent, most characters had a set up and pay off over the plot, I didn't see it coming when they [spoiler]killed off Duke[/spoiler], the special effects were decent, the cobra vehicles looked like the toys of my youth... only real. The Rock and Jason Statham are the only true action heros we have today and The Rock delivered. It had humor, it had heart and it gave those who wished to consider it a real dilemma (do nukes make the world peaceful?). It's not a great movie, but rather a solid well made one that is worth watching in the theater and will be worth watching again in a few years when I want to watch a movie. Better than the first Joe movie and on par with Sheen's Navy Seals or Arnie's Commando.

Edit 1: I can't belive I'm using spoiler tags about a G.I. Joe movie.
Edit 2: Just to remind you people how fully immersed hollywood is in Superheroes this movie had a Superman, a Wonder Woman and a Punisher in the cast.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ideologue

Quote from: Ideologue on August 09, 2013, 02:44:15 PM
Quote from: CdMFriends was a good show and had some pop in its writing until Ross and Rachel finally hooked up.  Like, really.  As if that would ever fucking happen IRL.

Reasonably decent-looking college professor living high off the student loan gravy train bagging a waitress with no real job skills?  Probably has been done.

There is no way in holy hell or on God's green earth that a Jennifer Aniston would voluntarily, willfully and knowingly ever hook up with a David Schwimmer.  Just would not happen.

Unfortunately, it did happen on television, thus paving the way for other IRL Impossibilities such as King of Queens, According to Jim, Everybody Loves Raymond, and The George Lopez Show in the You-Gotta-Be-Kidding-Me-Really sitcom matchups that would never, ever occur in reality.

If you really think that David Schwimmer and Kevin fucking James are equivalently attractive, you really need to get your eyes checked.

Anyway, "paved the way"?  Jackie Gleason, a fatass who drove a bus and constantly threatens abuse, with Audrey Meadows?  What's not to believe?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Quote from: Ed Anger on August 09, 2013, 02:56:55 PM
I felt sorry for Ray Romano's character. An eternity spent with a red headed nag

:(

She was a bit of a drag, but to be fair he was a shitty husband.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

CountDeMoney

Quote from: frunk on August 09, 2013, 03:19:55 PM
What, did you completely blank on the Honeymooners, Flintstones, Jetsons, and many other shows before Friends where the schlub gets the beautiful dame?

It's a well-known fact that Ralph/Fred and Norton/Barney were hung like blue ribbon cattle.
And post-Flintstones Hanna-Barbera cartoons don't count.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Tonitrus on August 09, 2013, 04:02:56 PM
Would the dude from Silver Spoons have a shot with Erin Gray if you took away his millions? :hmm:

Nope.  And neither would've Buck Rogers if he wasn't a novelty from the 20th century.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Viking on August 09, 2013, 03:26:54 PM
There is no way in holy hell or on God's green earth that a Jennifer Aniston would voluntarily, willfully and knowingly ever hook up with a David Schwimmer.  Just would not happen.

Well, he did, in real life, date Natali Imbruglia :contract:

Fame gets you laid.  Imagine that.

Ideologue

I think it's inaccurate to consider George Jetson a schlub.  That show takes place in the future of America, and he still has a job.
Kinemalogue

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ideologue on August 09, 2013, 06:14:14 PM
If you really think that David Schwimmer and Kevin fucking James are equivalently attractive, you really need to get your eyes checked.

I'm not making a Schwimmer/James equivalency here.

QuoteAnyway, "paved the way"?  Jackie Gleason, a fatass who drove a bus and constantly threatens abuse, with Audrey Meadows?  What's not to believe?

Women were often trapped in loveless relationships back in the 1950s, when domestic violence was never spoken of.  And besides, she got off on it anyway.

frunk

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 09, 2013, 06:21:24 PM
It's a well-known fact that Ralph/Fred and Norton/Barney were hung like blue ribbon cattle.
And post-Flintstones Hanna-Barbera cartoons don't count.

Fine, how about Green Acres and both Newhart shows.