Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaCroix

manga isn't a proper noun  :(

Eddie Teach

Manga is just as tainted as anime.  :yuk:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Savonarola

Cat People (1942)

A great B-Horror movie; this one had a budget so constricted that the director had to reuse the set from "The Magnificent Ambersons" and could only put the "Monster" in the shadows.  The director (Jacques Tourner) puts this to good use, though and makes an atmospheric, psychological horror film. 

The story concerns a young Serbian woman who is convinced she'll turn into a monstrous cat if she becomes angry, jealous or if she is ever intimate with a man (rawr!).  She gets married anyway and her husband puts up with this for awhile, but falls in love with his office assistance.

The term "Lewton bus," describing a build up of tension only to be broken by something harmless, comes from this film.  Val Lewton was the producer, and the technique is used a couple times in the film; the first time uses a bus.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Tonitrus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 10, 2013, 01:56:39 AM
Quote from: dps on August 09, 2013, 09:18:21 PM
Lucy certainly wasn't hot, but I wouldn't call her unattractive.

I wouldn't call her unattractive either.  I called her not attractive.  There's a slight difference between the two and I think I'm on the right side of it.  You never thought to yourself, "Lucille Ball, there's a real looker."

QuoteSusan Pleshette

Totally agree.  There's no way Bob Newhart is getting within 100 mile radius of that cooter in real life.

Wait...isn't most of the continuity of the Slavic world based on extremely HOTT ladies hooking up with mostly mediocre to ugly schlobs?

garbon

Quote from: Tonitrus on August 10, 2013, 10:01:41 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 10, 2013, 01:56:39 AM
Quote from: dps on August 09, 2013, 09:18:21 PM
Lucy certainly wasn't hot, but I wouldn't call her unattractive.

I wouldn't call her unattractive either.  I called her not attractive.  There's a slight difference between the two and I think I'm on the right side of it.  You never thought to yourself, "Lucille Ball, there's a real looker."

QuoteSusan Pleshette

Totally agree.  There's no way Bob Newhart is getting within 100 mile radius of that cooter in real life.

Wait...isn't most of the continuity of the Slavic world based on extremely HOTT ladies hooking up with mostly mediocre to ugly schlobs?

Price of tea in China?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

lustindarkness

Quote from: Ideologue on August 10, 2013, 01:17:48 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 09, 2013, 11:08:09 PM
Quote from: lustindarkness on August 09, 2013, 11:00:46 PM
Quote from: lustindarkness on July 23, 2013, 02:03:31 PM
There seems to be a good modern day western I have missed or it was not as good as it seems and I don't remember it. :unsure: I'll have to watch it.

Unforgiven (1992), Clint Eastwood, Gene Hackman, Morgan Freeman. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0105695/

Deficiency corrected, finally made the time to watch it. Excellent movie, just excellent.

But you didn't take the time to deconstruct Eastwood over the course of his career first.  Pfft.

It's what the fucking movie is about, for Christ's sake.  It's not exactly subtle.

You asked why I hadn't seen it yet, and that was why.  So I'd have the context in the genre.  Fuck.

I expect to see at least 2000 words when you review it. I won't read it, but I will count the words.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Neil

I like Ide's reviews.  Sure, I don't always agree with him, but I enjoy the thought processes that go into them.  I think that's because we have similar interests, even if he's a bomber weirdo instead of a noble, dignified naval warfare adherent.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Ideologue

Quote from: Syt on August 10, 2013, 07:28:55 AM
I just don't like you very much, though I normally don't try to let that bleed into my posting here.

Um, okay.  Fine, I guess. :huh:
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

CountDeMoney

But you didn't take the time to deconstruct Eastwood over the course of his career first.  Pfft.

It's what the fucking movie is about, for Christ's sake.  It's not exactly subtle.

You asked why I hadn't seen it yet, and that was why.  So I'd have the context in the genre.  Fuck.

And how'd that turn out?  Did you discover the true meaning of the "Western as film", as opposed to the "Western as film" definition?

Ideologue

Quote from: lustindarkness on August 10, 2013, 11:58:24 AM
Quote from: lustindarkness on August 09, 2013, 11:00:46 PM
Quote from: lustindarkness on July 23, 2013, 02:03:31 PM
There seems to be a good modern day western I have missed or it was not as good as it seems and I don't remember it. :unsure: I'll have to watch it.

Unforgiven (1992), Clint Eastwood, Gene Hackman, Morgan Freeman. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0105695/

Deficiency corrected, finally made the time to watch it. Excellent movie, just excellent.

I expect to see at least 2000 words when you review it. I won't read it, but I will count the words.

That's all I ever asked. :)
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Quote from: Neil on August 10, 2013, 12:52:53 PM
I like Ide's reviews.  Sure, I don't always agree with him, but I enjoy the thought processes that go into them.  I think that's because we have similar interests, even if he's a bomber weirdo instead of a noble, dignified naval warfare adherent.

Thank you.

I wonder what I did to the Austrian. :face:
Kinemalogue

The Brain

Elysium. Meh. I'm all for movies that don't have a clear good/bad conflict, but you have to make the audience care at least a little bit about whether people on screen succeed or fail. This poster did not care.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Ed Anger

Quote from: The Brain on August 10, 2013, 06:37:44 PM
Elysium. Meh. I'm all for movies that don't have a clear good/bad conflict, but you have to make the audience care at least a little bit about whether people on screen succeed or fail. This poster did not care.

:)

Matt Damon eats Ben Affleck's poop.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Admiral Yi

Hysteria.  Young, handsome doctor gives society women the monkey finger to cure their "hysteria"  in Victorian England.  Invents vibrator.

Maggie Gyllgenhall looked like a bucket of hell in that Batman movie, but pretty good here.

katmai

2 Guns-
Reminded me of something Tony Scott would have made.
Enjoyable time killer with Eddie James Olmos and Bill Paxton as the heavies to Denzel and Marky Mark's heroes.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son