News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Watched the HBO documentary, "Lombardi", last night.

Made in 2010, it's back in circulation this week on HBO.  I recommend all football fans catch it.  What a fascinating, bigger-than-life personality.

Syt

Quote from: Syt on July 06, 2012, 03:11:41 AM
I've started watching "Vietnam - The 10,000 Day War" (1980). Watched first episode, liked it.

About half way through. The interviews are kinda amusing.

Westmoreland: "Politicans are pussies and the media are backstabbers."
Politicians: "Westmoreland is an incompetent dumbass."
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

CountDeMoney

Syt

I think I wanna watch that. Critics over here say it turns an at best mediocre book into a pretty good film (despite Pattinson).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Kleves

Amazing Spider-Man. A shitty, unnecessary movie. Had I been making the film, I would have tried to avoid making Peter Parker an utterly unlikeable cunt; the filmmakers here went a different direction.
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

Malthus

Comming late to the party: I'm getting into watching Breaking Bad. Which is quite excellent.

Seems to me that recently stuff written for TV is often better than stuff written for movies.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Drakken

Rewatched Young Catherine on youtube. A little bit dated nowadays, and quite ahistorical in some places now that I've actually read on Catherine II, but the magic's still there.

Vanessa Redgrave is hot as hell as Yelisaveta Petrovna, and Christopher Plummer is very good as Charles Hanbury Williams. Oh, and there's Julia Ormond's in it, too.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Malthus on July 13, 2012, 08:59:12 AM
Comming late to the party: I'm getting into watching Breaking Bad. Which is quite excellent.

Seems to me that recently stuff written for TV is often better than stuff written for movies.

That's because a lot of writing for TV series are original content;  Hollywood, not so much anymore.

The Larch

There will be new Arrested Development episodes!  :w00t:

Malthus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 13, 2012, 09:01:59 AM
Quote from: Malthus on July 13, 2012, 08:59:12 AM

That's because a lot of writing for TV series are original content;  Hollywood, not so much anymore.

Heh, true enough. These days Hollywood is set on reproducing the same few moneymaking films ad nauseum. I doubt they would take a risk like having the main character's story arc go from sympathetic to totally evil.  :lol:

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

viper37

The curse of the axe

It's Huron site, Mantle, the biggest village to be found so far, in Ontario, dating to the pre-contact period, between 1450-1500.  About 2000 people lived there and since 60% of their diet was composed of corn/maze, it means there was roughly 80km2 of farmlands around the village.   Of significant notice is the presence of an iron axe, wich has been traced back to the Basque country in Spain.  It was probably a left over by Basque sailors in Newfoundland, and picked up by indians who divided it in pieces and traded it.

Fascinating :)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: viper37 on July 13, 2012, 10:36:52 AM
The curse of the axe

It's Huron site, Mantle, the biggest village to be found so far, in Ontario, dating to the pre-contact period, between 1450-1500.  About 2000 people lived there and since 60% of their diet was composed of corn/maze, it means there was roughly 80km2 of farmlands around the village.   Of significant notice is the presence of an iron axe, wich has been traced back to the Basque country in Spain.  It was probably a left over by Basque sailors in Newfoundland, and picked up by indians who divided it in pieces and traded it.

Fascinating :)
I saw a documentary was going to be out soon, but I forgot to note where/when.  What did you watch it on?
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

CountDeMoney

QuoteMichael Clarke Duncan has had a bit of a medical scare.
The "Green Mile" actor was rushed to a hospital in Los Angeles on Friday after going into cardiac arrest.
"According to doctors, Michael Clarke Duncan suffered a myocardial infarction early this morning," the 54-year-old star's publicist tells E! News. "He is now stable and we look forward to his full recovery."
His girlfriend, "Apprentice" vet Omarosa Stallworth, performed CPR and managed to resuscitate him upon discovering Duncan in a state of cardiac arrest just before 2 a.m., TMZ reports.

I guess she's not as evil as we remember.

katmai

Quote from: The Larch on July 13, 2012, 09:49:16 AM

Um welcome to 2012 Larchie, they announced that like Oct last year :P
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

The Larch

Quote from: katmai on July 13, 2012, 06:09:32 PM
Quote from: The Larch on July 13, 2012, 09:49:16 AM

Um welcome to 2012 Larchie, they announced that like Oct last year :P

Yeah, but they finally started shooting now.  :P