Previous topic - Next topic

Scipio

Quote from: FunkMonk on July 09, 2012, 10:34:28 AM
The One True List of Great Christopher Nolan Movies:
(ranked in order of greatness)

• The Prestige
  • Memento
  • Everything else
I would put Inception at the top of that list.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Ideologue

The Reformed Christopher Nolan List, Except for Following 'Cause I Ain't Seen It:

1)The Prestige.
2)Inception.
3)Memento.
4)Dark Knight.
5)Insomnia.
Technically, a film)Batman Begins.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

FunkMonk

Inception was a fine movie but I simply wouldn't rank it with The Prestige or even Memento. The Prestige is quite possibly a perfect movie. I haven't seen Memento in a long time so it's due another watch, but I have watched Inception again recently and I don't get the same rush I remember having after watching Memento.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

frunk

Who knew there was so much Prestige love on this board.  Don't get me wrong, I like the movie, but I'd rate it only just above Batman Begins of the Nolan films I've seen.  It didn't bug anyone that:

** Spoilers **

Borden had this assistant with a big, bushy, concealing beard but Angier never had him followed or caught them when they were supposedly doing their frequent identity switches.  Not to mention that whoever had the beard would have also had to keep their very obvious hand injury hidden at all times.
Why the hell did Angier keep all of his dead selves in water in a huge warehouse when it would have been better to dispose of them in a less stupid fashion?
If Borden really loved Sarah more than his career why did he perpetuate the identity switching and alienate both her and Olivia?
Tesla abandoning a working duplicating machine?  Yeah right.

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 08, 2012, 07:42:40 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on July 08, 2012, 07:20:11 PM
Applauding a movie is about as effective as cumming on your hard drive.

Your generation is broken.  I expect nothing less from your over-saturated, tech-addled brains.

Hear in New York, people applaud all the time.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on July 09, 2012, 12:27:53 PM

Your generation is broken.  I expect nothing less from your over-saturated, tech-addled brains.

Magic Mike cat calls don't count.

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 09, 2012, 12:34:00 PM
Quote from: garbon on July 09, 2012, 12:27:53 PM

Magic Mike cat calls don't count.

Actually, I don't think that happened. Only recall the initial gasps at the reveal of Tatum's nude walk into bathroom.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Neil

Quote from: Ideologue on July 08, 2012, 11:26:51 PM
I had no idea this forum was a festering pit of hatred for one of the better films of the 2000s.  Very sad. :(
It was alright, but not great.  It wasn't even the best magician-related movie of that year, since The Illusionist was by far a better film.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Scipio

Quote from: Neil on July 09, 2012, 12:41:55 PM
I had no idea this forum was a festering pit of hatred for one of the better films of the 2000s.  Very sad. :(
It was alright, but not great.  It wasn't even the best magician-related movie of that year, since The Illusionist was by far a better film.
In the sense that monarchy was disgraced as an institution through it, yes.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Neil

Quote from: Scipio on July 09, 2012, 12:48:36 PM
Quote from: Neil on July 09, 2012, 12:41:55 PM
In the sense that monarchy was disgraced as an institution through it, yes.
Trololololololol.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

garbon

Eddie Gizzard - Dress to Kill

Still so fabulous.

Admiral Yi

Saw the last quarter of "Tomorrow, The War Began."  Britain gets invaded and occupied (looks like by the Chinese).  8 spunky teens start an underground resistance.  Yeah, it's a Wolverines ripoff, but even stupider.  The girls spend their time talking about which guys they have a crush on and squealing when they get shot at.

Also saw "Holy Roller," about Hasids smuggling extasy from Amsterdam.  Made me wonder what it would be like if a group of Hasids ever met up with a group of Amish.

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 09, 2012, 11:36:04 PM
Made me wonder what it would be like if a group of Hasids ever met up with a group of Amish.

Either a bloodbath or some sort of infernal fellowship which will rock the foundations of the world.
PDH!

Josephus

Saw Pedro Almodovar's The Skin I Live In. Fuck that guy is fucked up. Excellent film.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

viper37

Sinbad, the new series on Space.

So far, it looks ok.  Will see in the coming weeks.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.