News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephus

Quote from: Martinus on January 18, 2012, 06:40:28 PM
Btw, anyone watching Hell on Wheels? I watched the pilot and it seems promising.

Yeah. It's not bad at all. I think s.1 just finished.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Darth Wagtaros

He should have let someone else direct.  That might have reigned in some of the suck.
PDH!

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Martinus on January 18, 2012, 06:41:31 PM
Also, Glee jumped the shark.

Ah, you've seen the second episode then.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Octavian

Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 19, 2012, 04:32:34 AM
Amazing! :o

http://vintage-everyday.blogspot.com/2012/01/present-day-movie-posters-with-vintage.html#more

The Hangover one could be fun to watch. I also like the Matrix poster. That movie would have been great because of Bruce Lee and the fact that the fight scenes would be a hell of a lot less wire fu than the real Matrix movie's fight scenes.
If you let someone handcuff you, and put a rope around your neck, don't act all surprised if they hang you!

- Eyal Yanilov.

Forget about winning and losing; forget about pride and pain. Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh; let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones; let him fracture your bones and you take his life. Do not be concerned with escaping safely - lay your life before him.

- Bruce Lee

HVC

Enjoying Downton Abbey even though i didn't think i would. i hear season 2 kind of sucks though.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

The Larch

Quote from: HVC on January 19, 2012, 10:20:37 AM
Enjoying Downton Abbey even though i didn't think i would. i hear season 2 kind of sucks though.

Season 2, while still wonderfully done, has a more contrived and soapy story, with several plots running simultaneously. You end up with the feeling of having been told a 12 episode season in just 6 episodes.

Eddie Teach

Excellent show, more engaging than Gosford Park or Remains of the Day IMO.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josquius

I tried watching the first episode of Pan Am.
I fell asleep.
Seems thoroughly meh and not at all the Mad Men lite I was expecting.

Some of those old movie posters are great.
Others...they do go a little far with their dream casting name every famous actor of the era and use stock photos of themness.
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

Just finished watching The King's Speech.  Maybe I was expecting too much.  A nice little film.

Zoupa

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 19, 2012, 08:32:15 PM
Just finished watching The King's Speech.  Maybe I was expecting too much.  A nice little film.

Yeah, I didn't get all the hoopla. I just couldn't get myself to care.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Zoupa on January 20, 2012, 02:31:39 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 19, 2012, 08:32:15 PM

Yeah, I didn't get all the hoopla. I just couldn't get myself to care.
Middle-brow pap.  Award fodder.

I liked it, but I like any film which gives Geoffrey Rush a chance to chew the scenery.
Let's bomb Russia!

Razgovory

Watching Skyline on Netflix.  Douchebags v aliens.  Is there any way they could make any of the characters relatable?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Gups

Agree with the consensus on Kings Speech whcih I watched a couple of days ago. It was OK, not much more.

Hated the way they lied about Churchill. Suddenly he's anti-Ted rather than vociferously a King's man. Poetic licence is one thing. Outright deceit another.

Admiral Yi

They did a great job casting Wallace though.  A goofy looking mug, but at the same time you could see why Ed had an unquenchable boner for her.