News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Tyr on January 15, 2012, 10:47:34 PM
I really don't get the massive hate 300 draws. I thought it was greatfun.

Edited for accuracy.  :P

It's over the top, but in a fun way.

Habbaku

I really don't get the massive hate 300 draws. I thought it was great.

Ditto.  300 was a great film and exactly what I like out of silly action films.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Habbaku

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 15, 2012, 10:45:20 PM
At the very least you owe it to yourself to watch the young Uma Thurmond as Venus rising from the depths.

:hmm:  Sold.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Razgovory

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 15, 2012, 10:38:27 PM

Come on, that early scene with Sting and the Revolutionary Committee was sublime.

All the scenes with Jonathan Price are good.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ideologue

Languish's snobbiness permeates all aspects of life.

This is why they needed an arbiter.  And so I came.  It's almost Christlike, when you think about it.

(The tacked on story back in Sparta is pretty awful, though.  I have no idea why Snyder chose to run with that, unless the studio demanded the movie be only 95% homoerotic, instead of 99%.)
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

The Larch

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 15, 2012, 10:38:27 PM
Quote from: Habbaku on January 15, 2012, 10:36:20 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on January 15, 2012, 10:05:27 PMGilliam is alright, but if you want the definition of a turgid film, go watch The Adventures of Baron von Munchausen.

:hug:

Come on, that early scene with Sting and the Revolutionary Committee was sublime.
I liked Baron Munchausen. 
PDH!

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Ideologue on January 16, 2012, 02:21:04 AM

This is why they needed an arbiter.  And so I came.  It's almost Christlike, when you think about it.

(The tacked on story back in Sparta is pretty awful, though.  I have no idea why Snyder chose to run with that, unless the studio demanded the movie be only 95% homoerotic, instead of 99%.)
Needed to have a strong chick to get teh womenz interested.
PDH!

frunk

The problem with Snyder is that he's a terrible writer and director, but a great cinematographer.  I don't think anybody else is as good at making beautifully crafted scenes with virtually zero content.

Scipio

This is what happens when you meet a stranger in the Alps!
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Razgovory

I went to the new Sherlock Holmes Film.  Liked it.  Unfortunately I had just picked up a new pair of glasses before hand and my head really hurts.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Josquius

Its not just languish I've seen it elsewhere on the internet too.

The story back in Sparta...yeah, it did suck, though they did need a secondary story to create some gaps in the battle. They should have done much better.
██████
██████
██████

Berkut

Quote from: The Larch on January 16, 2012, 06:58:35 AM
Quote from: Habbaku on January 15, 2012, 11:07:17 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 15, 2012, 10:45:20 PM
At the very least you owe it to yourself to watch the young Uma Thurmond as Venus rising from the depths.

:hmm:  Sold.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDfPRu8rC2c

Uma Thurman was so insanely hot when she was young.

Dangerous Liaisons....drool.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Darth Wagtaros

It's a suck movie.  The only snobbishness is you insisting that you somehow see it as more than everyone else because you alone are not snobbish. 
PDH!