News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berkut

Quote from: celedhring on November 09, 2021, 08:45:08 AM
2001 the novel is an adaptation of the film and not the opposite, you know...

I did not know that! Interesting....

QuoteI read the novel ages ago, so my memory is hazy, but I recall that it made explicit and concrete a lot of stuff that the film left unexplained (like the visions at the end, or what made HAL malfunction). I remember liking the film more, in that regard.

And I like 2010, too. I think the film is unfairly maligned because it's a sequel to one of cinema's masterpieces.

I did not even know it was all that maligned....it is a very different kind of movie from 2001, for sure.

It's kind of like how Aliens is a very different movie from Alien, but they are both great.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Syt

Apparently there's a Rocky IV Director's Cut that restores 40 minutes worth of scenes? :lol:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Malthus

Quote from: Berkut on November 09, 2021, 08:29:13 AM

One of my favorite Sci-Fi movies. It holds up reasonably well.

Both 2001 and 2010 would be great to be re-done, IMO. Update the story a bit, and re-imagine it re-based on Clarks novels....

2001 holds up amazingly well, considering it was made in 1968!

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Barrister

Quote from: Berkut on November 09, 2021, 08:29:13 AM

One of my favorite Sci-Fi movies. It holds up reasonably well.

Both 2001 and 2010 would be great to be re-done, IMO. Update the story a bit, and re-imagine it re-based on Clarks novels....

Suggesting you re-make 2001 should be grounds to have you burned at the stake.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Brain

Quote from: Syt on November 09, 2021, 12:47:17 PM
Apparently there's a Rocky IV Director's Cut that restores 40 minutes worth of scenes? :lol:

I thought Drago's Rap had been lost?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Admiral Yi

I read the novel ages ago, so my memory is hazy, but I recall that it made explicit and concrete a lot of stuff that the film left unexplained (like the visions at the end, or what made HAL malfunction). I remember liking the film more, in that regard.

Please elaborate.  :)

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 09, 2021, 01:19:54 PM
I read the novel ages ago, so my memory is hazy, but I recall that it made explicit and concrete a lot of stuff that the film left unexplained (like the visions at the end, or what made HAL malfunction). I remember liking the film more, in that regard.

The book states plainly that Dave Bowman becomes the Starchild, the next step in human evolution.

It also says the Starchild kills off the human race in like the last paragraph.

Admiral Yi

OK.  And I suppose that is achieved through some magical intervention by whatever master race has been manipulating our evolution from afar?

Malthus

Quote from: Barrister on November 09, 2021, 01:21:51 PM

The book states plainly that Dave Bowman becomes the Starchild, the next step in human evolution.

I think the Starchild blows up an orbiting nuke, rather than destroying the human race, but I haven't read it in years. My memory is that what the Starchikd would do next was left ambiguous.

Overall, the Cold War stuff was more prominent in the book - in the movie, for example, the famous scene where the apeman throws the bone into the air and it cuts to a satellite, the satellite was the orbiting nuke (thematically: the first true "weapon", and the latest - bone club into nuke), but that isn't made clear in the movie.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Josquius

Isn't there 2 sequels?
Destroy the human race?
I have the novel around somewhere but don't think I ever read it. It's on the list.
██████
██████
██████

Malthus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 09, 2021, 01:32:25 PM
OK.  And I suppose that is achieved through some magical intervention by whatever master race has been manipulating our evolution from afar?

In book and movie, aliens were directly interfering in human evolution over millions of years, and changing Bowman was the next step in their plan. Their ultimate purpose for doing this isn't stated.

Barrister

Curiously book 2001 also has them voyage to Saturn.  I think they had to go to Iapetus, which was chosen because of the extreme brightness disparity between it's light and dark haves - which must be where the aliens are. :area52:

Maladict

Quote from: Malthus on November 09, 2021, 01:50:52 PM

I think the Starchild blows up an orbiting nuke, rather than destroying the human race, but I haven't read it in years. My memory is that what the Starchikd would do next was left ambiguous.

Kubrick didn't want the nuke scene in the movie because it got too close to Dr Strangelove thematically.

And I believe Saturn proved too difficult for special effects, so Jupiter was substituted.
Interestingly Clarke switched it over to Jupiter as well in the sequels, probably because the data from Voyager gave him the idea for life on Europa.

celedhring

Quote from: Malthus on November 09, 2021, 01:50:52 PM

Overall, the Cold War stuff was more prominent in the book - in the movie, for example, the famous scene where the apeman throws the bone into the air and it cuts to a satellite, the satellite was the orbiting nuke (thematically: the first true "weapon", and the latest - bone club into nuke), but that isn't made clear in the movie.

Also IIRC in the book the visions before he becomes Starchild are of other civilizations travelling space, instead of the abstract shapes in the movie. 

Moreover, in the book HAL malfunctions because he's been programmed to lie to the crew (keeping the purpose of the mission a secret), which conflicts with his directive to serve the crew.

Barrister

Quote from: celedhring on November 09, 2021, 02:06:23 PM
Moreover, in the book HAL malfunctions because he's been programmed to lie to the crew (keeping the purpose of the mission a secret), which conflicts with his directive to serve the crew.

It's kind of implied that's the reason in the movie.  And explicitly stated in 2010 the movie.