News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

More importantly Narcos: Mexico Season 3 has dropped. Life is bueno.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Josquius

I finished watching an anime named Odd Taxi.
It's very good. Lots of layers and mysteries upon mysteries.
Basically about a taxi driver in pretty much real world Tokyo (but everyone looks like animals ala Aguretsuko) who gets wrapped up in a weird case involving a missing girl that connects the yakuza and the entertainment industry.
Some herald this as being on the fringe of best anime ever lists. It's not typical mindless trash that's for sure.
██████
██████
██████

Syt

This Netflix show kinda reminds me of Transmetropolitan ...

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Sheilbh

The Guardian zero star review of that was fun :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

viper37

Quote from: Tyr on November 05, 2021, 04:43:34 PM
Quote from: viper37 on November 04, 2021, 10:05:30 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 04, 2021, 08:35:05 PM
So far the dessert west seems to have been populated by one Mexican and no whites.
:P

anyway, that was on purpose, no whites, because many western movies of the past had no blacks, modern cinematographers feel compel to go in the total opposite direction.  Plus, it appeals to critics just by doing that, there isn't even a need to have a compelling soundtrack. :P

Next on your screen: women outlaws meet in the old west, in a world where men stay at home to raise kids.
:unsure:

I've not seen the film but the trailer has lots of white guys.
I read a review saying there were no white people in the movie.  Haven't seen it either.  I wanted to, but now that Yi has talked about the soundtrack, I'm disinclined to.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Eddie Teach

There was a company of white soldiers on a train. And white customers at a bank that got robbed. No important parts though.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Minsky Moment

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Sheilbh

Last Night In Soho.

I get the feeling the critics have been a bit mixed/sniffy about this - but I enjoyed it a lot. Great soundtrack and visuals as you'd expect from Edgar Wright. But I think it also holds up as it veers from a nostalgic retro-fest to almost giallo levels garish and psychological horror - which are all things I enjoy. I'm also very pleased that Diana Rigg had a good last role and one it looks like she enjoyed.
Let's bomb Russia!

celedhring

I was a bit upset by the reviews being so mixed, the trailers made me furiously want to like this. Will check it out when it opens down here.

Berkut

One of my favorite Sci-Fi movies. It holds up reasonably well.

Both 2001 and 2010 would be great to be re-done, IMO. Update the story a bit, and re-imagine it re-based on Clarks novels....
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

celedhring

2001 the novel is an adaptation of the film and not the opposite, you know...

I read the novel ages ago, so my memory is hazy, but I recall that it made explicit and concrete a lot of stuff that the film left unexplained (like the visions at the end, or what made HAL malfunction). I remember liking the film more, in that regard.

And I like 2010, too. I think the film is unfairly maligned because it's a sequel to one of cinema's masterpieces.

Maladict

Quote from: celedhring on November 09, 2021, 08:45:08 AM

I read the novel ages ago, so my memory is hazy, but I recall that it made explicit and concrete a lot of stuff that the film left unexplained (like the visions at the end, or what made HAL malfunction). I remember liking the film more, in that regard.

And I like 2010, too. I think the film is unfairly maligned because it's a sequel to one of cinema's masterpieces.

Clarke and Kubrick wrote the novel and movie script at the same time iirc. Some later changes in the screenplay didn't make it into the book, but the basic story was a collaboration.

celedhring

Oh, and if we're talking Arthur C. Clarke I'd much rather have somebody adapt Childhood's End (I refuse to acknowledge the SyFy version).

celedhring

Quote from: Maladict on November 09, 2021, 08:51:59 AM

Clarke and Kubrick wrote the novel and movie script at the same time iirc. Some later changes in the screenplay didn't make it into the book, but the basic story was a collaboration.

The book, afaik, is largely based on the early drafts of the script, which they developed together. Clarke didn't agree with some of the later revisions to the story (plus some of the stuff was cut due to length/budget concerns).

grumbler

Yeah, 2010 was a decent straightforward SF film, with none of the mysticism from the first movie.  Somewhat ironically, the movie competed in the theaters with Starman, which did have those mystic overtones (and, I thought, was a better movie).
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!