News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Watching The Harder They Fall.  Netflix production, black western.  Heard a piece on NPR about it.  The characters are all historical black outlaws, though they didn't all meet up like in this movie.

Strong hip hop vibe.  Sometimes I'm annoyed and sometimes it's OK.

So far the dessert west seems to have been populated by one Mexican and no whites.

See how it goes.  Expectations low.

Admiral Yi

The music is killing me.  :yucky:

viper37

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 04, 2021, 08:35:05 PM
So far the dessert west seems to have been populated by one Mexican and no whites.
:P

anyway, that was on purpose, no whites, because many western movies of the past had no blacks, modern cinematographers feel compel to go in the total opposite direction.  Plus, it appeals to critics just by doing that, there isn't even a need to have a compelling soundtrack. :P

Next on your screen: women outlaws meet in the old west, in a world where men stay at home to raise kids.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Eddie Teach

Fairly entertaining movie, strong blaxploitation vibe.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Syt

I've been, uhm, watching :pirate Star Trek Prodigy. Clearly made for kids, but damn those visuals are impressive. Watched the pilot double episode and this week's. It feels a bit like early Farscape? You know, diverse folks stealing an advanced ship and getting chased by an evil dude.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Grey Fox

Urg, I hate how I have to subscribe to 1 other service to watch the Star Trek shows. :bleeding: and it's the worse one.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Josquius

It is strange how star trek isn't all held by one provider. No idea where that will appear.
██████
██████
██████

crazy canuck

Quote from: Grey Fox on November 05, 2021, 07:56:07 AM
Urg, I hate how I have to subscribe to 1 other service to watch the Star Trek shows. :bleeding: and it's the worse one.

Its on the same one as all others were - the space channel - or whatever it is CTV is calling it now.

And you are right.  It is terrible.  With the quality of Below Decks I was hopeful, but this really is just a cartoon for kids.

Savonarola

The Last of the Mohicans (1920)

There's an excellent restoration of this film from the 1990s that I had previously seen; the version I got from Netflix was not that one.  There was about 30 minutes of film missing (in a 73 minute film), the print was faced and the middle of the frame was shifted from the top and bottom so it looked it had been warped in the shape of a C.

Naturally the DVD started with the anti-piracy warning "Piracy is not a victimless crime."  Well DVDs like this aren't a victimless crime either.

(Even under the best of circumstances is there really a problem with bootleg silent movies?  "I got something that will really blow your mind; the complete print of "Metropolis."  This is the real deal, taken straight from the Argentinian print.")
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

crazy canuck

I saw that on release in the theatre. I would very much appreciate it if you stopped referring to it in a way that makes it obvious that it and I are old enough to require restoration.

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 05, 2021, 11:25:14 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on November 05, 2021, 07:56:07 AM

Its on the same one as all others were - the space channel - or whatever it is CTV is calling it now.

And you are right.  It is terrible.  With the quality of Below Decks I was hopeful, but this really is just a cartoon for kids.

I think GF was calling out Crave TV (as it is indeed the worst of the online streaming services).  I haven't been able to watch Prodigy yet, but they were very explicit that this was going to be a kids show.  It airs on Nickelodeon in the US.

I'm wanting to watch it with my kids so thats not a big deal to me.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Brain

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 05, 2021, 02:49:33 PM
I saw that on release in the theatre. I would very much appreciate it if you stopped referring to it in a way that makes it obvious that it and I are old enough to require restoration.

Man, it would have been so cool to bang flappers.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Brain

Dune, Where Is Thy Sting? On the planet Arrakis a woman waits passively to be rescued by a man. OK for what it is, but nothing special. And through the wonders of inefficient storytelling it ended abruptly in the middle of the story. Personally I don't see the need for a reboot, but I suppose the kids want to see their favorite actors. The Apocalypse Now references was a new touch though.

Addendum: The Lynch movie is a lot better.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien