And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Battle Angel Alita-
As expected, this was.... A thing.
A movie that seems aimed at teens* based on a pretty obscure early 90s anime. How on earth did it get the go ahead It's all over the place.
It's decent, but not amazing. Despite having flop written all over it, it seems to have done OK.

Also between this and guardians of the galaxy 2 anyone else getting a weird insect fetish? :unsure:

*there's lots of people dying in horrible ways but it's OK they are cyborgs so no blood to be seen (there should be?) except when a dog very stupidly gets sacrificed.
██████
██████
██████

Savonarola

Young Frankenstein (1974)

(While there wasn't actually tap dancing in them), this does an excellent job of recreating the look of the Universal Horror movies of the 1930s and 40s.  Brooks and Wilder picked up on a lot of details in the films; right down to Igor's goat horn solo.  The jokes are all over the place, as usual in Brooks fare; but more are funny than not.  (The silly "Walk this way" gag would inspire Aerosmith.)
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Barrister

Quote from: Savonarola on November 01, 2021, 10:00:35 AM
Young Frankenstein (1974)

(While there wasn't actually tap dancing in them), this does an excellent job of recreating the look of the Universal Horror movies of the 1930s and 40s.  Brooks and Wilder picked up on a lot of details in the films; right down to Igor's goat horn solo.  The jokes are all over the place, as usual in Brooks fare; but more are funny than not.  (The silly "Walk this way" gag would inspire Aerosmith.)

We are actually further removed from the making of this movie (47 years) than Young Frankenstein was from the original Frankenstein (43 years).
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Syt

Trailer for Book of Boba Fett. First episode in ca. 60 days.

https://youtu.be/rOJ1cw6mohw
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Barrister

Quote from: Syt on November 01, 2021, 10:28:19 AM
Trailer for Book of Boba Fett. First episode in ca. 60 days.

https://youtu.be/rOJ1cw6mohw

Man Temuera Morrison looks old.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

Also, Obi-Wan, Beru and Owen aged badly in 20 years:

It seems people age really, really badle on Tatooine? :hmm:
—Stephen Jay Gould

Barrister

Quote from: Syt on November 01, 2021, 10:56:14 AM
It seems people age really, really badle on Tatooine? :hmm:

Double the suns, double the sun exposure? :unsure:

Syt

Also, Morrison is only 3 years older than Ming-Na Wen (Fennec Shand). :P

I guess getting swallowed by a Sarlacc doesn't help in the looks department, either.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Barrister

Put on Ghostbusters (1984) last night while handing out candy.

I really do think that movie holds up really well, but it really seems like they captured lightning in a bottle with it.  The overall set-up is pretty goofy, and it shows that in both a sequel and a re-boot they haven't managed to recapture that magic.  I have few hopes for Ghostbusters: Afterlife.

Habbaku

Quote from: Barrister on November 01, 2021, 11:29:33 AM

I really do think that movie holds up really well, but it really seems like they captured lightning in a bottle with it.  The overall set-up is pretty goofy, and it shows that in both a sequel and a re-boot they haven't managed to recapture that magic.  I have few hopes for Ghostbusters: Afterlife.

I am convinced it will be trash and will be happily surprised if it's even watchable. There is very little that can improve or revitalize a brand like replacing adult protagonists with children.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Barrister

Quote from: Habbaku on November 01, 2021, 11:55:12 AM
Quote from: Barrister on November 01, 2021, 11:29:33 AM

I am convinced it will be trash and will be happily surprised if it's even watchable. There is very little that can improve or revitalize a brand like replacing adult protagonists with children.

I'm sure it will be watchable.  There are some very capable people attached to the movie.  I mean Ghostbusters 2016 is watchable.  I don't think Paul Rudd has ever been in a truly bad movie.

I just very much doubt it will hold a candle to the original.  I feel like it is going to be too reverential to the original movie, whereas the original played it straight but didn't take itself too seriously.

Habbaku

Paul Rudd was in Wet Hot American Summer, among others.  :P
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Barrister

Quote from: Habbaku on November 01, 2021, 12:45:02 PM
Paul Rudd was in Wet Hot American Summer, among others.  :P

I've never seen it, but it was popular enough to have a sequel and a prequel...

Savonarola

Quote from: Barrister on November 01, 2021, 10:26:25 AM
We are actually further removed from the making of this movie (47 years) than Young Frankenstein was from the original Frankenstein (43 years).

That is funny.  There were Universal Frankenstein movies up up until 1945 (1948 if you count Abbot and Costello meet Frankenstein), but the film takes most of its plot points from the first three movies (Frankenstein (1931), Bride of Frankenstein (1935) and Son of Frankenstein (1939.))  So Young Frankenstein would be roughly the equivalent of spoofing the Jaws movies today.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock