And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: Savonarola on November 01, 2021, 12:53:32 PM
Quote from: Barrister on November 01, 2021, 10:26:25 AM
We are actually further removed from the making of this movie (47 years) than Young Frankenstein was from the original Frankenstein (43 years).

That is funny.  There were Universal Frankenstein movies up up until 1945 (1948 if you count Abbot and Costello meet Frankenstein), but the film takes most of its plot points from the first three movies (Frankenstein (1931), Bride of Frankenstein (1935) and Son of Frankenstein (1939.))  So Young Frankenstein would be roughly the equivalent of spoofing the Jaws movies today.

Maybe the culture was just slower back then, but Frankenstein I feel like had a much bigger cultural impact than Jaws did.  I mean I remember dressing up as the Monster for Halloween back in the 1980s.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Barrister on November 01, 2021, 01:03:37 PM
Quote from: Savonarola on November 01, 2021, 12:53:32 PM
Quote from: Barrister on November 01, 2021, 10:26:25 AM
We are actually further removed from the making of this movie (47 years) than Young Frankenstein was from the original Frankenstein (43 years).

That is funny.  There were Universal Frankenstein movies up up until 1945 (1948 if you count Abbot and Costello meet Frankenstein), but the film takes most of its plot points from the first three movies (Frankenstein (1931), Bride of Frankenstein (1935) and Son of Frankenstein (1939.))  So Young Frankenstein would be roughly the equivalent of spoofing the Jaws movies today.

Maybe the culture was just slower back then, but Frankenstein I feel like had a much bigger cultural impact than Jaws did.  I mean I remember dressing up as the Monster for Halloween back in the 1980s.

That, or dressing up as a shark was more difficult.  :D

Habbaku

Quote from: Barrister on November 01, 2021, 12:51:02 PM
Quote from: Habbaku on November 01, 2021, 12:45:02 PM
Paul Rudd was in Wet Hot American Summer, among others.  :P

I've never seen it, but it was popular enough to have a sequel and a prequel...

If popular is how we judge quality, then boy do I have some news for you.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Savonarola

Quote from: Barrister on November 01, 2021, 01:03:37 PM

Well, yes, there was only one good "Jaws" movie, but three good Universal Frankenstein movies (four if you count Abbot and Costello).  Also there were other Frankenstein movies as well (the Hammer series lasted into the 1970s.)  I was looking for a film series that was roughly the same time period as Universal's Frankenstein to Young Frankenstein relative to today and that didn't live on forever (the original Star Wars trilogy, for instance, covered roughly the same time period as well.)
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Threviel

New(ish) trailer for WoT. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11ZozKfRqvA

This time it looks far far better.

Barrister

Abbott and Costello meet Frankenstein totally counts!

Maladict

Quick run to the cinema this weekend in light of new restrictions being announced tomorrow.

French Dispatch: Lots of very beautiful and detailed sets that you could pore over if they lasted longer than a second on screen. Most of the actors are completely wasted and Anderson's jokes are getting pretty lame. 5/10

Dune: Stunning visual experience, the story may or my not deliver in part 2. I'm hopeful it will. Slightly put off by the unexpected pronunciation of names. 8/10

Trailer for the new Matrix movie: 1/10 :bleeding:

crazy canuck

Quote from: Maladict on November 01, 2021, 02:20:10 PM
Dune: Stunning visual experience, the story may or my not deliver in part 2. I'm hopeful it will. Slightly put off by the unexpected pronunciation of names. 8/10

Which ones?

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 01, 2021, 02:24:26 PM

Which ones?

I haven't seen the movie, but one I've heard discussed is Harkonnen (pronounced HARKenen, not HarKONEn)

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Barrister on November 01, 2021, 02:44:46 PM
I haven't seen the movie, but one I've heard discussed is Harkonnen (pronounced HARKenen, not HarKONEn)

:o  :mad:

Syt

Here's again the Dune pronunciations, as read by Frank Herbert himself: http://usul.net/books/sounds.htm
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Maladict

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 01, 2021, 02:24:26 PM

Which ones?

HARkonnen, Bene ( "Benny")  Gesserit, SARdaukar, Chani ("Chayni")

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Josephus

Quote from: Savonarola on November 01, 2021, 10:00:35 AM
Young Frankenstein (1974)

(While there wasn't actually tap dancing in them), this does an excellent job of recreating the look of the Universal Horror movies of the 1930s and 40s.  Brooks and Wilder picked up on a lot of details in the films; right down to Igor's goat horn solo.  The jokes are all over the place, as usual in Brooks fare; but more are funny than not.  (The silly "Walk this way" gag would inspire Aerosmith.)

For me, this is the best Mel Brooks movie.
There are so many gags. Small things...like the Frau Buchler horse neigh sound, but all of them combine well. Highly recommended
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Syt

It was also filmed with the same lab props as the original movie (the originals were in storage, apparently).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.