News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maladict

Quote from: celedhring on November 09, 2021, 02:06:23 PM

Moreover, in the book HAL malfunctions because he's been programmed to lie to the crew (keeping the purpose of the mission a secret), which conflicts with his directive to serve the crew.

Yeah, I kind of wish that had made it into the movie. I get that Kubrick wanted no exposition whatsoever, but the book version of HAL is so much more interesting than an evil machine.

Admiral Yi

Moreover, in the book HAL malfunctions because he's been programmed to lie to the crew (keeping the purpose of the mission a secret), which conflicts with his directive to serve the crew.

Programmed by whom, and for what purpose?

Maladict

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 09, 2021, 02:14:02 PM

Programmed by whom, and for what purpose?

Only the hibernating crew members knew about the monolith near Saturn/Jupiter. HAL also knew, but was not allowed to share the information with the flight crew.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Maladict on November 09, 2021, 02:11:31 PM

Yeah, I kind of wish that had made it into the movie. I get that Kubrick wanted no exposition whatsoever, but the book version of HAL is so much more interesting than an evil machine.

We find it out 2010, fairly dramatically.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Maladict on November 09, 2021, 02:24:29 PM
Only the hibernating crew members knew about the monolith near Saturn/Jupiter. HAL also knew, but was not allowed to share the information with the flight crew.

Why?  I get that the flight crew were on the short end of a conspiracy, but I don't understand the purpose of the conspiracy.

The Brain

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 09, 2021, 03:45:40 PM

Why?  I get that the flight crew were on the short end of a conspiracy, but I don't understand the purpose of the conspiracy.

Would be a pretty crappy conspiracy if you did.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

grumbler

To keep the Soviets from finding out about the monoliths and sending their own ship.  Presumably they conspirators didn't trust Dave and Frank to avoid spilling the beans.  No, it doesn't make a lot of sense, but it's just a device to allow Dave (and the audience) to be surprised by what he found.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

crazy canuck

It was not a conspiracy, the flight crew just did not have the security clearance to know.  Seemed innocuous enough to the people planning the mission.

Sheilbh

Quote from: celedhring on November 09, 2021, 06:07:05 AM
I was a bit upset by the reviews being so mixed, the trailers made me furiously want to like this. Will check it out when it opens down here.
Yeah. Thinking back to some of the negative reviews I feel like there was a bit of them reviewing it for not being the film they wanted it to be on some points.

In other mixed review/style over substance films - went to see French Dispatch. Again I enjoyed it a lot. I think it's up there with Grand Budapest Hotel for me. It's very funny and I don't get the complaints that it doesn't have emotional heart because I feel like it does it's just about loneliness (not the first time Andersons ploughed that furrow).

Edit: Also going to see Spencer soon, because who hasn't been waiting a lifetime to see Timothy Spall as Major Alistar Gregory :mmm: :w00t:
Let's bomb Russia!

Barrister

Reviews for Ghostbusters: Afterlife are coming in, and they're not good.  After a decent first half it becomes nothing but fanservice.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Maladict

Need to know, according to the book.

QuoteSince consciousness had first dawned, in that laboratory so many millions of miles Sunward, all Hal's powers and skills had been directed toward one end. The fulfillment of his assigned program was more than an obsession; it was the only reason for his existence. Undistracted by the lusts and passions of organic life, he had pursued that goal with absolute single-mindedness of purpose.

Deliberate error was unthinkable. Even the concealment of truth filled him with a sense of imperfection, of wrongness - of what, in a human being, would have been called guilt. For like his makers, Hal had been created innocent; but, all too soon, a snake had entered his electronic Eden.

For the last hundred million miles, he had been brooding over the secret he could not share with Poole and Bowman. He had been living a lie; and the time was last approaching when his colleagues must learn that he had helped to deceive them.

The three hibernators already knew the truth - for they were Discovery's real payload, trained for the most important mission in the history of mankind. But they would not talk in their long sleep, or reveal their secret during the many hours of discussion with friends and relatives and news agencies over the open circuits with Earth.

It was a secret that, with the greatest determination, was very hard to conceal - for it affected one's attitude, one's voice, one's total outlook on the universe. Therefore it was best that Poole and Bowman, who would be on all the TV screens in the world during the first weeks of the flight, should not learn the mission's full purpose, until there was need to know.

So ran the logic of the planners; but their twin gods of Security and National Interest meant nothing to Hal. He was only aware of the conflict that was slowly destroying his integrity - the conflict between truth, and concealment of truth.

He had begun to make mistakes, although, like a neurotic who could not observe his own symptoms, he would have denied it. The link with Earth, over which his performance was continually monitored, had become the voice of a conscience he could no longer fully obey. But that he would deliberately attempt to break that link was something that he would never admit, even to himself.

Yet this was still a relatively minor problem; he might have handled it - as most men handle their own neuroses - if he had not been faced with a crisis that challenged his very existence. He had been threatened with disconnection; he would be deprived of all his inputs, and thrown into an unimaginable state of unconsciousness.

To Hal, this was the equivalent of Death. For he had never slept, and therefore he did not know that one could wake again.

So he would protect himself, with all the weapons at his command. Without rancor - but without pity - he would remove the source of his frustrations.

And then, following the orders that had been given to him in case of the ultimate emergency, he would continue the mission - unhindered, and alone.

Admiral Yi

Sheilbh

Incidentally saw the House of Gucci trailer in the cinema and I cannot wait.

It looks absolutely awful - but I have a weird conviction it might be great. And either way I'm very excited to watch it :lol: :blush:
Let's bomb Russia!

celedhring

Quote from: Barrister on November 09, 2021, 05:03:07 PM
Reviews for Ghostbusters: Afterlife are coming in, and they're not good.  After a decent first half it becomes nothing but fanservice.

Eh, I can take that. One of my favorite films of my childhood.

Josephus

Quote from: Berkut on November 09, 2021, 08:29:13 AM

One of my favorite Sci-Fi movies. It holds up reasonably well.

Both 2001 and 2010 would be great to be re-done, IMO. Update the story a bit, and re-imagine it re-based on Clarks novels....

You'd be a fool to take on 2001.
2010 fine.

I'd like to see the sequel to that, 2061, filmed.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011