And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: garbon on November 13, 2021, 06:47:42 PM
Quote from: Tyr on November 13, 2021, 05:41:08 PM
Shang Chi-starts off excellent. Like Jackie Chan at his peak with just enough special effects to still be within believability. Absolutely great stuff. Such a change from the typical marvel non interactive video game action scenes .
By the ending its just stupid. Takes things much further than marvel and is a nonsensical mess.

:rolleyes:

Quote from: Tyr on November 14, 2021, 04:35:22 AM
Eh? :unsure:
I've seen some professional reviews broadly agree with this.

I'll go out on a limb and guess the ending involve some gay romance or something and that's why Garb is pissed :P
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Zoupa

Shang Chi is the 1st Marvel movie I gave up on. Fell asleep 30 minutes in.

The Brain

Metropolis (restored Argentinian copy). Ray Liotta's life of easy decadence is interrupted by some kids. It's fucking Metropolis, so not much to add about the movie. I've only seen it once before, many years ago on TV. The hussies in the garden are hot. Machine Maria is hot, including her Sasha Grey impression.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

Quote from: viper37 on November 15, 2021, 12:19:05 AM
Quote from: garbon on November 13, 2021, 06:47:42 PM
Quote from: Tyr on November 13, 2021, 05:41:08 PM
Shang Chi-starts off excellent. Like Jackie Chan at his peak with just enough special effects to still be within believability. Absolutely great stuff. Such a change from the typical marvel non interactive video game action scenes .
By the ending its just stupid. Takes things much further than marvel and is a nonsensical mess.

:rolleyes:

I'll go out on a limb and guess the ending involve some gay romance or something and that's why Garb is pissed :P

Don't be that asshole.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

celedhring

So, I visited my mom this weekend and we randomly watched some GOT episodes. We stumbled upon the Mountain-Viper fight, and I didn't remember Martell refusing to wear a helmet in the fight (the Mountain then famously smashes his skull). My mom blurted "Ah, that's why he never takes it off in The Mandalorian"  :lol:

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Eddie Teach

"Within believability"  :lol:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josquius

Quote from: Eddie Teach on November 15, 2021, 11:20:18 AM

"Within believability"  :lol:
Yes?
The bus fight using the environment and broadly realistic kung fu looks like something from a Jackie Chan film broadly. The extra air time being done isn't that out of the ordinary.
The sword in the arm is dumb of course and where the fantastical Marvel elements come in. But even with that its a lot more down to earth than most marvel fights.

Then at the end you have wacky flying dragons and dragonballZ fighting.
██████
██████
██████

garbon

The movie started with a man who had lived 1000 years and had superpowers.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

HVC

Superhero movie is too superhero-y. i don't like it. And while I'm at it, have you seen superman? since when can men fly and shoot laser-beams from their eyes?
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Barrister

I haven't seen Shang Chi, so it's no comment on that movie, but the MCU did start out kind of grounded.  Iron Man (guy who started it all) was just a guy with a fancy metal suit.  Hulk the effect of gamma radiation.  Thor wasn't a God, he was an alien.

But it's gotten pretty out there by now, with magic powers, time travel, and alternate realities.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Larch

Quote from: Barrister on November 15, 2021, 01:15:43 PM
I haven't seen Shang Chi, so it's no comment on that movie, but the MCU did start out kind of grounded.  Iron Man (guy who started it all) was just a guy with a fancy metal suit.  Hulk the effect of gamma radiation.  Thor wasn't a God, he was an alien.

But it's gotten pretty out there by now, with magic powers, time travel, and alternate realities.

So? Same as the comics they're based on.

garbon

Quote from: HVC on November 15, 2021, 01:04:36 PM
Superhero movie is too superhero-y. i don't like it. And while I'm at it, have you seen superman? since when can men fly and shoot laser-beams from their eyes?

:D

Barrister

Quote from: The Larch on November 15, 2021, 01:59:48 PM
Quote from: Barrister on November 15, 2021, 01:15:43 PM

So? Same as the comics they're based on.

Yeah, but the large majority of MCU fans aren't really fans of the comic books.

And besides, they're now getting into more and more obscure characters from the comics.  I'm not a comic book guy, but I had heard of Iron Man, The Hulk, Spider Man, and the like.  I'd never heard of Shang Chi or The Eternals.

Now Marvel has proven it can take obscure comic book characters and make a hit movie from them (Guardians of the Galaxy).  But will they be able to keep doing so?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Barrister on November 15, 2021, 02:39:10 PM
Now Marvel has proven it can take obscure comic book characters and make a hit movie from them (Guardians of the Galaxy).  But will they be able to keep doing so?

No. And they've already failed once. That won't them stop trying it out again & again.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.