News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Quote from: The Larch on November 16, 2021, 06:47:32 AMIt is also a problem for DC films, IMO, as only Batman has a properly developed rogues gallery full of iconic villains. Superman has Lex Luthor and then there are villains like Darkseid or Brainiac, but outside of comic book nerds nobody really knows who they are.
Yeah I know no Superman villains apart from Lex Luthor. But even then I have zero interest/knowledge because the Superman films have been less interesting for an outsider than the Batman films.

QuoteThe MCU has dramatically underexploited the main source of iconic villains in cinema history, scenary chewing classically trained British actors. :P They only hit it right with Tom Hiddlestone and Loki, which I don't think is a coincidence.
I hadn't thought of that but finally! Someone's got to the bottom of it :o :lol:

I blame the relatively recent emergence of "conventionally attractive Brits" who can actually play the hero whether that Spideerman or Dr Strange. Or they're at least attractive enough to play side-heroes like Idris Elba - or Chiwetel Ejiofor and Benedict Wong in the weirdly British Dr Strange films :hmm:

What MCU need to do is scour the stage and get Simon Russell Beale, Rufus Sewell or Mark Rylance in a leotard.
Let's bomb Russia!

The Larch

Quote from: celedhring on November 16, 2021, 06:58:46 AM
Aussies with posh accents are a decent impression of Brits, too. Cate Blanchett was a riot in Thor Ragnarok.

Thor Ragnarok is a riot (Jeff Goldblum basically playing himself!). I also loved Karl Urban's Skurge the Executioner ("Behold... my stuff"), he's a Kiwi but he might qualify for your caveat.  :lol:

Josquius

Just when I think I understand what makes an attractive man Tom Holland goes into the A list whilst Idris Elba is in the B list alongside.... Benedict Wong.
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

Quote from: The Larch on November 16, 2021, 07:06:10 AM
Thor Ragnarok is a riot (Jeff Goldblum basically playing himself!). I also loved Karl Urban's Skurge the Executioner ("Behold... my stuff"), he's a Kiwi but he might qualify for your caveat.  :lol:
That is the other alternative that I would be fully behind: hand over the entire MCU to Taika Waititi :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tyr on November 16, 2021, 07:07:27 AM
Just when I think I understand what makes an attractive man Tom Holland goes into the A list whilst Idris Elba is in the B list alongside.... Benedict Wong.
I'm not rating their attractiveness - just whether they're a main hero or not.

On attractiveness alone it'll be a cold day in hell before I acknowledge Benedict Cumberbatch <_<
Let's bomb Russia!

The Larch

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 16, 2021, 07:01:58 AM
QuoteThe MCU has dramatically underexploited the main source of iconic villains in cinema history, scenary chewing classically trained British actors. :P They only hit it right with Tom Hiddlestone and Loki, which I don't think is a coincidence.
I hadn't thought of that but finally! Someone's got to the bottom of it :o :lol:

Think about the Charles Xavier/Magneto pairing in the X-Men films, both Patrick Stewart - Ian McKellen and James McAvoy - Michael Fassbender are iconic pairings.

QuoteI blame the relatively recent emergence of "conventionally attractive Brits" who can actually play the hero whether that Spideerman or Dr Strange. Or they're at least attractive enough to play side-heroes like Idris Elba - or Chiwetel Ejiofor and Benedict Wong in the weirdly British Dr Strange films :hmm:

Add voice acting to the list, which took Paul Bettany out of a physical role.

QuoteWhat MCU need to do is scour the stage and get Simon Russell Beale, Rufus Sewell or Mark Rylance in a leotard.

Is it too late to get something for Jeremy Irons in the MCU? (DC using him as Alfred was a travesty) Would Kenneth Branagh be up for it? (He already directed an MCU film) Also, Mark Strong would make for a great menacing villain. That jawline belongs under a half mask. A grand role for Timothy Dalton would also be amazing, he showed in Hot Fuzz he can be a brilliant villain. And there's always Charles Dance, now that he's world famous.

Or they can just get a directory of Royal Shakespeare Company alumni and then pick and choose.  :lol:

celedhring

Kenneth Brannagh, I need this in my life :lol: He's probably still dieting from all the scenery he chewed in Tenet.

The Larch

Quote from: celedhring on November 16, 2021, 07:40:27 AM
Kenneth Brannagh, I need this in my life :lol: He's probably still dieting from all the scenery he chewed in Tenet.

And he's doing the new Poirot movies as well.  :P

celedhring

Personal goal finally achieved: I got to say "Writers who use subtext are all cowards" in a professional setting  :)

The Brain

Quote from: celedhring on November 16, 2021, 09:33:18 AM
Personal goal finally achieved: I got to say "Writers who use subtext are all cowards" in a professional setting  :)

Good. Good.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Eddie Teach

But what do you mean by that?  :hmm:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Sheilbh

Bravo :lol:

QuoteKenneth Brannagh, I need this in my life :lol: He's probably still dieting from all the scenery he chewed in Tenet.
Yes. I loved him in Tenet - no idea why he's Russian though.

I'd also throw in Jason Isaacs for a villain turn, but I think he's a bit more Hiddlestoney villain you also really like.
Let's bomb Russia!

The Larch

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 16, 2021, 11:16:36 AMI'd also throw in Jason Isaacs for a villain turn, but I think he's a bit more Hiddlestoney villain you also really like.

We'll always have his Zhukov.

celedhring

My favorite HoI4 mod would be one where I can play the Soviets with all the portraits replaced by the actors in "The Death of Stalin".  :P

(There's already one but just for Zhukov)

The Larch

Quote from: celedhring on November 16, 2021, 01:44:33 PM
My favorite HoI4 mod would be one where I can play the Soviets with all the portraits replaced by the actors in "The Death of Stalin".  :P

(There's already one but just for Zhukov)

It'd need to be this gif.