News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

A River Runs Through It. A pretty, uneventful movie.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Syt

Star Trek: First Contact was released today 25 years ago. Yes, it's already a quarter of a century old.

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Darth Wagtaros

PDH!

HVC

Watched The wheel of time. It's inoffensive, but not exactly good. Only three episodes in so can get better. The multi-ethnics remote medieval village was an odd casting choice, but mainly from a distracting "how the hell does that work" sort of way, but its not a big deal.

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

garbon

Quote from: HVC on November 22, 2021, 02:00:31 PM
Watched The wheel of time. It's inoffensive, but not exactly good. Only three episodes in so can get better. The multi-ethnics remote medieval village was an odd casting choice, but mainly from a distracting "how the hell does that work" sort of way, but its not a big deal.

I'd say the opposite and found it fairly enjoyable, well just the first two eps. I don't really have hang ups about race though. :)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Grey Fox

The Wheel of time is not medieval, a common misconception, it is post-apocalyptic.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Zoupa

I doubt I'll continue. Seeing it on screen, it's even more obvious how LOTR-derivative the Wheel of Time is.

crazy canuck

Quote from: garbon on November 22, 2021, 02:06:41 PM

I'd say the opposite and found it fairly enjoyable, well just the first two eps. I don't really have hang ups about race though. :)

I thought it was a bit odd seeing someone so white in that village - the whole notion is that the lineage of those villagers goes back into the mists of time - through all those generations of intermarriage within an isolated community, how the hell did he pop into the genetic mix?

Grey Fox

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 22, 2021, 02:32:11 PM

I thought it was a bit odd seeing someone so white in that village - the whole notion is that the lineage of those villagers goes back into the mists of time - through all those generations of intermarriage within an isolated community, how the hell did he pop into the genetic mix?

A great question, eh!
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

celedhring

I agree with HVC's appraisal of the show. Not good, but harmlessly watchable.

HVC

That's my point, there were too many different races (including too many white people Garb :P ), i questioned it for a bit, because it seemed off then kind of ignored it after.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

The Brain

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 22, 2021, 02:32:11 PM

Sometimes, when a milkman and a housewife love each other very much...
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

HVC

Quote from: Grey Fox on November 22, 2021, 02:23:20 PM
The Wheel of time is not medieval, a common misconception, it is post-apocalyptic.

medieval like, then :P

Zoupa

I had the same reaction when watching the 1st episode of Foundation. How does Jared Harris exist 10 000 years in the future? Everyone should be more or less the same shade of brown by then.

garbon

So as I said I don't have racial hangups like apparently multiple white people do on this forum. ;)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.