And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Quote from: viper37 on November 04, 2021, 10:05:30 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 04, 2021, 08:35:05 PM
So far the dessert west seems to have been populated by one Mexican and no whites.
:P

anyway, that was on purpose, no whites, because many western movies of the past had no blacks, modern cinematographers feel compel to go in the total opposite direction.  Plus, it appeals to critics just by doing that, there isn't even a need to have a compelling soundtrack. :P

Next on your screen: women outlaws meet in the old west, in a world where men stay at home to raise kids.
:unsure:

I've not seen the film but the trailer has lots of white guys.
██████
██████
██████

crazy canuck

Quote from: The Brain on November 05, 2021, 03:05:36 PM
Addendum: The Lynch movie is a lot better.

Brain, someone with no taste hacked your account.

crazy canuck

Quote from: The Brain on November 05, 2021, 04:04:30 PM
The more I think about it, the more I dislike that the new Dune just ends in the middle of the story. The movie isn't called Dune: The Beginning, or Dune: Part Un, or anything like that. It's called Dune. The movie doesn't do what it says on the tin. That's a bad movie.

It does in fact say Part 1

The Brain

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 05, 2021, 05:21:04 PM
The more I think about it, the more I dislike that the new Dune just ends in the middle of the story. The movie isn't called Dune: The Beginning, or Dune: Part Un, or anything like that. It's called Dune. The movie doesn't do what it says on the tin. That's a bad movie.

Which is great. Really. The version I saw was called Dune.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

crazy canuck

Quote from: The Brain on November 05, 2021, 05:22:38 PM

Pirated?

The Brain

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 05, 2021, 05:23:10 PM
Quote from: The Brain on November 05, 2021, 05:22:38 PM

Pirated?

Don't think so.

crazy canuck

Strange then that you did not see the big Part 1 plastered across the screen.

Josquius

To be fair it is quite small.
And I've heard of some people just mentally assuming this meant part 1 of the film (ala wes Anderson) and then they forgot about it and didn't question why part 2 never happened.
██████
██████
██████

Tamas

Quote from: Tyr on November 05, 2021, 06:23:13 PM
And I've heard of some people just mentally assuming this meant part 1 of the film (ala wes Anderson) and then they forgot about it and didn't question why part 2 never happened.

Yeah but real issue is that Brain thinks Lynch's movie which is also titled Dune but has only as much to do with the original story as it could after somebody gave Lynch a half-minute summary on it, is better.

Admiral Yi

Maybe the Swedish version has a different title.

The Brain

This actually made me curious what the name of the movie is, so I spent several seconds doing research.

I don't know anything about these things, but I wouldn't be surprised if a movie has to be registered somewhere and therefore have a legally registered name, kind of like a company. But I don't know where that is found, if this is in fact the case.

I watched the movie on HBO Max, where it was presented under the name "Dune". Now I get the Swedish version of HBO, so maybe that's just the Swedish title, and HBO calls the movie something else in other languages? Swedish titles that don't include Swedish words can be confusing, like "Encino Man" was called "California Man" in Sweden, which isn't obviously a Swedish title.

IMDB puts the Swedish name as "Dune" but original title as "Dune: Part One". But the English text about the movie provided by "Warner Bros." seems to mention only "Dune".

Wiki calls the movie "Dune" with the comment "titled onscreen as Dune: Part One".

All official trailers and movie posters I've seen just call it "Dune".

If I were to make a guess, it would be that the named the movie "Dune" since they didn't yet have final decisions on sequels (from what I hear). So if it had been a failure at least it wouldn't be a failure with a laughable name. Simultaneously putting a "Part One" in the titles in the movie itself makes you cover all the bases, which makes sense.

TLDR: my impression is that it's not necessarily absolutely clear what the name of the movie is. A situation that I don't think is unique among movies. I'm very happy that it's titled with a Part One in the movie itself at least.

Josephus

FWIW---I did not know that it was only going to be half the book. When I saw Part One on the screen, I just assumed it was a Star Wars kind of thing; and if they make Dune Messiah, that would be Part Two.
When it was over my first thought was: Intermission?
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Josquius

Quote from: Tamas on November 05, 2021, 06:35:17 PM
Quote from: Tyr on November 05, 2021, 06:23:13 PM

Yeah but real issue is that Brain thinks Lynch's movie which is also titled Dune but has only as much to do with the original story as it could after somebody gave Lynch a half-minute summary on it, is better.
Oh yes. Obviously on that he's worse than Hitler.
██████
██████
██████

Eddie Teach

I'm surprised so many have such vivid memories of the book Dune.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Brain

Quote from: Eddie Teach on November 06, 2021, 07:05:38 AM
I'm surprised so many have such vivid memories of the book Dune.

Yeah. I may even have read it twice, don't remember, but my memories are basically just shapes, faces, vague plot stuff.