And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Josquius

Enter the spider verse is quite good.
On the negative very much one for the fans with little explanation for those who don't have a more than passing knowledge of spiderman.
On the positive.... Awesome animation style. Seems very French to me. And loser Peter Parker with New Girl Nicks voice works so well.
Another slight negative perhaps it's sad there was only 5 universes. And they chose some pretty extreme ones. Had thought there'd be more shown. Also thought 42 cropping up a lot might be explained - is this universe 42? Nah.

Nice soundtrack. Its weird, I head a lot of this sort of cool hip hop in sound tracks but can never come across it in the wild.
██████
██████
██████

celedhring

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 25, 2020, 12:24:19 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xv9aaTJVIxA

Sub commander rates realism of submarine scenes.

Hey, nice little video, the guy's pretty engaging. Love his excitement when he talks about the Soviet subs  :D

Admiral Yi

He's the best kind of nerd.  :)

Syt

I finished Schitt's Creek last weekend. I really enjoyed this show. I grew really fond of the characters, even the ones that I thought I'd hate, like Alexis and Moira. Catherine O'Hara deserves mad props for bringing such an outlandish character to live.

The show is positive, inclusive, the characters well written, and all around it's a feel good experience about a few jerks becoming the best versions of themselves.

I'm now watching Community. Closing in on the end onf season 1, but already liking it a lot. :)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Maladict

Borat 2, it's not very good.

frunk

Quote from: Syt on October 25, 2020, 01:23:18 PM

I'm now watching Community. Closing in on the end onf season 1, but already liking it a lot. :)

The last third of S1 through the first 2/3rds of S3 might be the best 2 season run of any show.  I don't think there are any bad episodes, and even the sub-par ones are excellent.

I hope where you are watching it hasn't removed the D&D episode.

Syt

Thanks for the heads up - I'm watching on Netflix, and unfortunately that episode is removed. Fortunately there's always options  :pirate
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: frunk on October 25, 2020, 02:42:57 PM
Quote from: Syt on October 25, 2020, 01:23:18 PM

The last third of S1 through the first 2/3rds of S3 might be the best 2 season run of any show. 

No sitcom can possibly claim that.

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

grumbler

Quote from: celedhring on October 25, 2020, 01:08:25 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 25, 2020, 12:24:19 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xv9aaTJVIxA

Sub commander rates realism of submarine scenes.

Hey, nice little video, the guy's pretty engaging. Love his excitement when he talks about the Soviet subs  :D

Fun, but his ratings were pretty much totally random.  U-571 scene  he says is totally wrong: 6/10.  Crimson Tide scene whose only real inaccuracy is that the CO is kinda going insane as part of the plot:  4/10.  I have no idea why he downrated the Act of Valor scene that was actually filmed on a sub and which he even said "that's how you'd do it."  I think he was just throwing out numbers without thinking about it, which is okay so long as one isn't betting on these things. 
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

celedhring

I get the feeling he was rating the entire movie rather than the scene, at times.

Admiral Yi

I paid more attention to his explanations than to his ratings.

grumbler

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 25, 2020, 04:52:42 PM
I paid more attention to his explanations than to his ratings.

You are wise.  His commentary is fun.

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Maladict

Watching Man Down. I miss Rik May all :(

grumbler

Watching these "(x) expert rates (x) movies" thing can be addictive.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RkhZgRNC1k on space movies is fun, and gives a nice insight on how astronauts feel about their job.

Bayraktar!