News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Berkut

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHU4XuXLQpE

Nothing really new, but it puts together a lot of what is known well.

Doesn't matter of course, but there it is...
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Josephus

Quote from: viper37 on May 05, 2020, 11:44:08 AM
Quote from: Josephus on May 05, 2020, 07:57:02 AM
Hey did the hottie in this series play Ren's mother in the last Star Wars?
Ren's mother was Carrie Fisher :P

(Rey, you meant, I guess ;) )

Right...get them mixed up.  :Embarrass:
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

The Larch

Trailer for "Lovecraft Country", a new HBO horror show with Jordan Peele and JJ Abrams, amongst others, behind it. It's based on a novel and set in 1950s US, following a black protagonist looking for his missing father during the Jim Crow era.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuMF1-2aQv8

Malthus

I haven't read the book it is based on, but a Lovecraftian story based on race relations in the late 50s early 60s could be good - as everyone knows, Lovecraft himself had very bizarre and messed up opinions on race and anti-semitism (I mean, the fellow appeared to regard Jews with loathing ... then went and married a Jewish woman). reversing the usual Lovecraftian "White protagonists threatened by racial degenerates" trope could be fun.

As an aside, my favorite Lovecraftian pastiche is *Resume with Monsters*, which i thought hilarious and weird - in that case, the cosmic horrors were not provided by race relations, but by adapting to corporate life. 😄

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Razgovory

Quote from: The Larch on May 07, 2020, 07:44:56 AM
Trailer for "Lovecraft Country", a new HBO horror show with Jordan Peele and JJ Abrams, amongst others, behind it. It's based on a novel and set in 1950s US, following a black protagonist looking for his missing father during the Jim Crow era.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuMF1-2aQv8

Well, I'll be damned.  I was putting together notes to do something very similar.  There was a famous disappearance back in the 1930's that had a local connection and I thought I would incorporate it into story based on local legends and history.  Jefferson City hosts a Black university, and back in the 1930's one of the students attempted to enter law school at the University of Missouri.  Since he was black he was denied, and the NAACP picked up the case.  They successfully argued that since there was no law school in the state for African Americans the doctrine of "separate but equal" had been violated.  Then the student, Lloyd Gaines, vanished.

I thought moving all the action to the Ozarks (Gaines disappeared around Chicago) and having a professor and mentor searching for his student would make an interesting story.  It would also allow me to incorporate some local legends such as the lost cities under the Lake of the Ozarks.

Oh, well.  I'm a shit writer anyway.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

mongers

'Tiger King' Interesting train wreck, but the best argument against private 'zoos'.
What a bunch of sociopaths, only the ordinary zoo staff get a pass as most of those seemed to be trying their best in trying circumstance.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Josephus

Dispatches from Elsewhere. Enjoyed the first two-three episodes and then it descended into outright rubbish. Couldn't watch the last episode.

Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Malthus

If you get the chance, check out the limited time free streaming of the play Frankenstein. It's a great production.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dI88grIRAnY
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

The Brain

Quote from: Malthus on May 08, 2020, 08:27:53 AM
If you get the chance, check out the limited time free streaming of the play Frankenstein. It's a great production.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dI88grIRAnY

Does he build the creature from body parts?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Sheilbh

Venom. So half of this is a kind of mediocre Marvel film, with the typical Marvel problem of just not being able to do a compelling villain. Which is a realy shame because I love Riz Ahmed and think he's a bit wasted.

But. The other half. It would also be a bit mediocre if not for Tom Hardy who delivers one of the most committed and compelling performances this side of Nick Cage that left me kind of wondering, "is this good?" :blink:

Worth it just for Hardy.
Let's bomb Russia!

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Josquius

I never made it to the end of venom. It was just... Bleh.
██████
██████
██████

The Larch

Was Venom made by Sony or Marvel? I thought it was a Sony one.  :hmm: