News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Hunt for the wilder people - Jojo Rabbit... Only with Kiwis.
Plot manages to avoid the predictable beats, which is nice. Some funny moments though generally not a comedy. Curious
██████
██████
██████

The Larch

Quote from: Tyr on May 04, 2020, 12:21:06 AMHunt for the wilder people - Jojo Rabbit... Only with Kiwis.

Both directed by Taika Waititi, after all.

celedhring

Finished the 'Nam doc, it was pretty great. It didn't say or reveal anything I didn't know, but I loved the tapestry of viewpoints and all the footage they had. Plus it's just really well crafted.

What did surprise me though, is all the recordings of presidential phone calls (Johnson, Nixon) putting them in a very bad light. Are all calls made by/to the US president recorded?

Netflix Spain also has the WWII doc. I guess I'll watch that one too.

The Brain

Quote from: celedhring on May 04, 2020, 11:48:13 AM
What did surprise me though, is all the recordings of presidential phone calls (Johnson, Nixon) putting them in a very bad light. Are all calls made by/to the US president recorded?

DG?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Grey Fox

Finished the 'Nam doc, it was pretty great. It didn't say or reveal anything I didn't know, but I loved the tapestry of viewpoints and all the footage they had. Plus it's just really well crafted.

I think so.

This law, maybe ; https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Presidential_Records_Act_of_1978
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Sheilbh

There is a Presidential recording system, it started with FDR but was mainly used (and I think still exists) to record statements and interactions with the media to have a record. I don't think it was really used by Truman, Ike or Kennedy. Then America got her two most paranoid presidents and I think it was expanded by LBJ who used it more often. Nixon went crazy and had the whole Oval Office bugged (including his desk) and, I think, it was sound activated. So I think LBJ chose what he want recorded, while Nixon was recording everything.
Let's bomb Russia!

celedhring

Several of LBJ's clips (besides the ones of him discussing the war with McNamara and Westmoreland) are indeed him trying to strongarm the media. Why he would want that recorded I don't know. Made me think of Trump but with actual grammar.

Nixon is mostly Nixon stuff. As in, being shady and backstabby to absurd levels.

viper37

Quote from: Maladict on May 03, 2020, 05:13:20 PM
Tried to watch Midway with low expectations, lasted all of 15 minutes. Dreadful, just dreadful.
I was hoping to have been prejudiced against it... oh well.  I'll pass. :)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

celedhring

Loving that the season 3 of Killing Eve is shot in Barcelona  :wub:

Made me realize it's been two months since I've been in town  :(

garbon

Quote from: celedhring on May 05, 2020, 02:23:13 AM
Loving that the season 3 of Killing Eve is shot in Barcelona  :wub:

Made me realize it's been two months since I've been in town  :(

I'm not sure I'm wild about how much it has been whipping around though. [spoiler]Barcelona, London, Moscow, Polish village and Russian village in one ep?[/spoiler]
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

celedhring

Yeah, the episode itself was a bit too whimsy even by the show's standards. But now they have spread the cast over half of Europe so all the hopping is gonna happen. [spoiler]No more Poland at least.[/spoiler]

I used to live near Villanelle's Barcelona house, btw (it's been in a lot of films)  :lol:

Josephus

Quote from: celedhring on May 05, 2020, 02:38:52 AM
Yeah, the episode itself was a bit too whimsy even by the show's standards. But now they have spread the cast over half of Europe so all the hopping is gonna happen. [spoiler]No more Poland at least.[/spoiler]

I used to live near Villanelle's Barcelona house, btw (it's been in a lot of films)  :lol:

I'm pretty sure the cast and crew are singly responsible for spreading COVID around Europe.

Hey did the hottie in this series play Ren's mother in the last Star Wars?
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

celedhring

Quote from: Josephus on May 05, 2020, 07:57:02 AM
Quote from: celedhring on May 05, 2020, 02:38:52 AM

I'm pretty sure the cast and crew are singly responsible for spreading COVID around Europe.

Yep. Hopefully she'll do more movies, the one she has with Ryan Reynolds looks like juvenile crap though.

Josquius

So, there's a corona special of Parks and Rec.
But not viewable in the UK <_<
I can just use a vpn but...pff
██████
██████
██████

viper37

Quote from: Josephus on May 05, 2020, 07:57:02 AM
Ren's mother was Carrie Fisher :P

(Rey, you meant, I guess ;) )
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.