News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Quote from: garbon on May 18, 2018, 08:16:26 AM
"White people call the police when we're not polite," said Ruffin, who is black. "But politeness is not the rent we pay to live in this country. Slavery was, and we paid that in full ...

Weird, most people get evicted if they go 150 years without paying their rent.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Grey Fox

Now that I've subscribed to a unlimited internet plan, I've also subscribed to Netflix.

So many, many shows.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Valmy

http://thehill.com/blogs/in-the-know/388278-late-night-criticizes-roseanne-episode-about-muslim-neighbors-this-episode

I think that was a bit of an over-reaction to an episode that obviously intended to be about dealing with your own prejudice. What is it you think I should take away from this? I certainly don't give a shit about rude people, I hang out here.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on May 18, 2018, 01:46:38 PM
http://thehill.com/blogs/in-the-know/388278-late-night-criticizes-roseanne-episode-about-muslim-neighbors-this-episode

I think that was a bit of an over-reaction to an episode that obviously intended to be about dealing with your own prejudice. What is it you think I should take away from this? I certainly don't give a shit about rude people, I hang out here.

I say fuck Roseanne.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Berkut

Quote from: Valmy on May 18, 2018, 01:46:38 PM

Its the shallow, weak ass way bigots tell themselves they aren't really bigoted.

It's the idea that black people are ok, as long as they don't act "too black" or gay people are fine, as long as they act like straight people.

It isn't a way of confronting your prejudice, its a way of pretending to do so in order to pat yourself on the back and say "See, I am not a bigot! Some of my best friends are black!"
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Admiral Yi

Well yeah, I prefer Muslims who don't commit terrorism too.  Guess that makes me the worst kind of bigot.

I also prefer Chinese tourists who don't beat up wait staff at shrimp buffets and shit in museums.  The list goes on.

Valmy

Quote from: Berkut on May 18, 2018, 01:51:39 PM

Its the shallow, weak ass way bigots tell themselves they aren't really bigoted.

It's the idea that black people are ok, as long as they don't act "too black" or gay people are fine, as long as they act like straight people.

It isn't a way of confronting your prejudice, its a way of pretending to do so in order to pat yourself on the back and say "See, I am not a bigot! Some of my best friends are black!"

Well I didn't see it so I will take your word for it that that was the idea behind the episode.

Eddie Teach

:lol:

I doubt anyone who has opined in this thread actually saw it.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Quote from: Eddie Teach on May 18, 2018, 03:00:20 PM
:lol:

I doubt anyone who has opined in this thread actually saw it.

Huh. I had something in there about not having seen the episode in my original post but I seem to have deleted it without realizing it. That made more sense back when it was in there.

Admiral Yi

Laurel Canyon (2002).  If you're a Kate Beckinsale fan you have to check this flick out.  Her super powers have never been as well displayed as in this movie.  Only movie I've ever seen about two beautiful people (& Christian Bale) falling out of love.  Pretty leisurely paced, so don't watch it high on meth.  Kind of like a David Lynch movie without the psycho parts.

Admiral Yi

And you get to see Frances McDormand's nubs.

Duque de Bragança

The Silent Revolution - Das schweigende Klassenzimmer (2018)

Best movie I have seen in a while. If you liked the Lives of Others, watch it. Yes, more DDR fun, before the Berlin Wall, i.e in 1956! East German dialect included as well.
I don't want to spoil it, but there might some benefit about knowing a bit about the Hungarian football team of the '50s.

KRonn

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 19, 2018, 01:40:08 AM
Laurel Canyon (2002).  If you're a Kate Beckinsale fan you have to check this flick out.  Her super powers have never been as well displayed as in this movie.  Only movie I've ever seen about two beautiful people (& Christian Bale) falling out of love.  Pretty leisurely paced, so don't watch it high on meth.  Kind of like a David Lynch movie without the psycho parts.

Yeah, I'm a Kate Beckinsale fan, love her in the Underworld movies especially. But I don't remember seeing this movie. I'll have to keep it in mind to see.

The Brain

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on May 19, 2018, 03:06:01 AM
The Silent Revolution - Das schweigende Klassenzimmer (2018)

Best movie I have seen in a while. If you liked the Lives of Others, watch it. Yes, more DDR fun, before the Berlin Wall, i.e in 1956! East German dialect included as well.
I don't want to spoil it, but there might some benefit about knowing a bit about the Hungarian football team of the '50s.

They were the Beethovens of football.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.