News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

Quote from: The Brain on May 07, 2018, 04:05:17 PM
Blade of the Immortal. Samurai kills a crowd of enemies and lies dying when a witch decides to keep him on a Diet of Worms. He becomes immortal, and eventually ends up guarding a girl bent on revenge. Slow af (could have been an hour shorter), and it's fucking dark all the time like in Annihilation so you can't see people's faces (is this a trend in modern movies?). Took some effort to finish.

Yeah, I usually dig martial arts flicks but this one I quit halfway. As you say is really slow.

frunk

I enjoyed the manga from many years ago, but it sounds like I'll give the movie a miss.

Admiral Yi

Is everyone still jacked about West World?  I feel like I'm watching the same episode over and over.

Pretty retarded battle scene at the fort.

celedhring

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 09, 2018, 02:52:29 AM
Is everyone still jacked about West World?  I feel like I'm watching the same episode over and over.

Yeah, that scene was pretty bad.

The show has resorted to throwing a bunch of "look this doesn't make sense know, but hey maybe it will later on, stay tuned!" Lost-y shenanigans.

Josephus

Quote from: Barrister on May 08, 2018, 12:45:46 PM
Apparently, Bill & Ted 3 is officially happening.

PUt them in the Iron Maiden

Excellent.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Josephus

Quote from: celedhring on May 09, 2018, 03:37:29 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 09, 2018, 02:52:29 AM

Yeah, that scene was pretty bad.

The show has resorted to throwing a bunch of "look this doesn't make sense know, but hey maybe it will later on, stay tuned!" Lost-y shenanigans.

And not a single boob so far
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

celedhring

Infinity War. Actually better than I expected. Helps that Marvel finally has managed to come up with a decent villain for once.

Savonarola

Tully (2018)

Charlize Theron plays a mother who has her third child.  Her affluent brother tries to hire her a "Night Nanny" (someone who watches the children at night so the parents can sleep.)  At first she's resistant, but then she buckles.  The night nanny is a free spirited young woman named Tully (Mackenzie Davis).  Charlize's life improves remarkably and the two women form a bond, but maybe all is not as it seems...

The film is billed as comedy; but the laughs are few, far between and disappear entirely around the end of the first third of the film.  Then the film starts to resemble a "Lifetime" movie and you keep waiting for Tully to turn psychotic and steal the kid, or stab Charlize or both.  [spoiler]Instead, the film turns into Chick Fight Club, but instead of beating the crap out of people and starting a revolutionary movement Charlize sweeps up and makes cupcakes.[/spoiler]  A lot of critics say that the film gives an honest portrayal of motherhood; since that the film deals with [spoiler]psychosis[/spoiler] I'm not so sure.  I saw the film as more of a coming of age story; [spoiler]where Charlize learns to accept her own life as it is and move past her young adulthood.[/spoiler]  Charlize does a great job in a less than glamorous role, and Davis is good as well.  I didn't care much for the story; it might be better if you're a parent.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Liep

https://youtu.be/gXg2_yExgVY

:w00t:

Also, I heard they remixed season 4, anyone watched that?
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

The Brain

American Horror Story S2. I really liked it, I thought it was very good.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Sophie Scholl

Well, after a very mediocre season Lucifer has been cancelled.  I guess for those who mentioned just starting to watch the show it gives a definite ending to aim for.  On some level, I'm surprised it actually lasted 3 whole seasons considering it was on Fox and I watched it. :glare:
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

celedhring

I'm still halfway through Lucifer's season 2, watching an episode here and there. Pity they cancelled it, as I said before I found it enjoyable. Did the show finish with some closure?

Also, I watched the two free episodes of Cobra Kai. It's surprisingly non-sucky. As far as 1980s nostalgia obsession goes, this one at least is smart about it, deconstructing the first film and turning its themes around. I'll probably pick up a free-month trial and watch it in full. Ralph Macchio is a terrible actor though.

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: celedhring on May 12, 2018, 04:41:39 AM
I'm still halfway through Lucifer's season 2, watching an episode here and there. Pity they cancelled it, as I said before I found it enjoyable. Did the show finish with some closure?
Better than expected.  It at least provides some level of closure or reset after a pretty terrible Season 3.  They really mauled a lot of the characters and made them terrible all season and then redeemed the show somewhat with where they seemed to be headed in the final episode only to have it now be cancelled.  In all honesty, I'd just stop at the end of Season 2.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Habbaku

The Expanse, despite being in its best season to date, got canceled. Here's hoping that it gets picked up by Netflix or something.

If not, at least I have the books.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".