News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: derspiess on May 02, 2018, 04:38:46 PM
Finished binge-watch the AMC series TURN: Washington's Spies and very much liked it.  I expected them to have to take some liberties with the facts to make it TV-worthy, and the father-son conflict arc was a bit overdone and predictable.  But overall I was impressed*-- 4 Spiesspoints out of 5.

*the attractiveness of the three main female characters may have helped a bit
A few liberties?  About the only things that were historical were the names and the fact they used the Revolutionary War.  I tried to like that show.  I tired to stomach the silliness and ahistorical nature of it.  I just couldn't do it though. :yuk:
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Eddie Teach

The Phantom Thread. One of the great love stories of the middle part of the 20th century. Well, not really. I loled several times during the film, but not sure that's what they were going for. Pretty draggy overall.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Malthus

Quote from: derspiess on May 02, 2018, 04:38:46 PM
Finished binge-watch the AMC series TURN: Washington's Spies and very much liked it.  I expected them to have to take some liberties with the facts to make it TV-worthy, and the father-son conflict arc was a bit overdone and predictable.  But overall I was impressed*-- 4 Spiesspoints out of 5.

*the attractiveness of the three main female characters may have helped a bit

Heh, they made Simcoe into a psychopath.  :lol:

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

I liked how in the 'John Adams' miniseries many of the actors spoke in the 18th century American accent with it's weird brogue that gives it a bit of a Scotch-Irish feel. Many of the actors in 'Turn' did the same thing, which I appreciated.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Brain

The Secrets of Emily Blair. Homeless man Larry Drake gets highly inappropriate with young woman, which results in her demonic possession. Not very inspiring but it's not like it's horrible. The movie that is, demonic possession has to suck. [spoiler]It made me think about what it would be like if the demon in this kind of movie was more subtle. There's a movie in there, even if it's a very different one.[/spoiler] Note: they moved through the "fucks like a demon" phase awfully quick I thought.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Brain

Virus. Russian science ship has unprotected cybersex with MIR. Some time later Oddball and crew stumble upon it and must confront the... Virus. Forgettable, but some of the [spoiler]robots[/spoiler] are kind of cute.

Eddie Teach

The Brain

Admiral Yi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cN8sJz50Ng&t=230s

20 grand gets you in the game.

Cracks me up that they blurred out the rubber nipples.  :lol:

edit: totally safe for work.  Too safe.

11B4V

Half watching The 100: C. It's what I call a pretty show with smoking hot females, perfect teeth and in vogue apocalyptic hair styles and outfits.

Boring.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Eddie Teach

Would you rather they be modestly attractive females with crooked teeth and wrangled hair?

11B4V

Quote from: Eddie Teach on May 03, 2018, 07:22:42 PM
Would you rather they be modestly attractive females with crooked teeth and wrangled hair?

More realistic. It like most mainstream primetime American cop shows. The female detectives are most always smoking hot, when in real life their overweight chubs.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

frunk

The Brain

Chernobyl Diaries. A group of young tourists take a tour of abandoned city Pripyat. Things take a turn for the worse when they encounter the local creatures. Not too bad, I liked that the movie is fairly "low key" if you will. Some movies go all OTT, this one did not. Note: the chicks are hot.

The Brain

Survivor ([spoiler]AKA Planet of the Morlocks[/spoiler]). After a series of completely ridiculous events Earth is no longer habitable, and starships set off into the unknown to settle new planets. One of the ships, under captain Hercules, picks up a signal from a promising planet and sends an away team. The different groups of inhabitants turn out to be less than welcoming... Not essential viewing, but the main chick is hot. She looks good doing a lot of running and climbing, and I would love to lick her sweat off of her body. [spoiler]It was Earth all along![/spoiler]