News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Are seasons of American Horror Story completely independent?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

Quote from: The Brain on April 25, 2018, 02:31:19 PM

Mostly. I think there was one of the characters of Coven who showed up on Hotel. One day they are supposed to do a crossover of Murder House and Coven.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

Quote from: garbon on April 25, 2018, 04:10:34 PM

Mostly. I think there was one of the characters of Coven who showed up on Hotel. One day they are supposed to do a crossover of Murder House and Coven.

Thanks.

The Brain

GANTZ:O. Filthy demon scum is trying to set up shop in Tokyo and Osaka, and humanity can't have that. Somewhat silly, but nice parade of Japanese style demons. Note: there is no lesbian sex, but there is [spoiler]a giant naked woman made up of naked women[/spoiler].

The Brain

The Vault. Assistant manager James Franco is having a bad feeling at the bank. Then bank robbers show up, but they get more than they bargain for when they enter... The Vault. OK but a bit meh, it could have made better use of the concept I think. Notes: there is no lesbian sex. One of the bank robbers is fucking hot.

Edit: [spoiler]One thing I really liked was that we learn just enough about the back story of the bank robbers to understand them, but don't get the details (which would be unnecessary and risk moving focus from what's important in the movie). Many movies don't have the guts to just tell enough.[/spoiler]

Josephus

Quote from: Maladict on April 25, 2018, 12:37:14 PM
Quote from: Josephus on April 25, 2018, 11:31:29 AM
Anyone watching The Terror on AMC? Supernatural account of the Franklin Expedition. Absolutely no lesbians...but a bit of gay stuff  (it does take place on two ships full of men stranded in the Arctic after all)

I stumbled upon the first episode while in the US, I thought it was a historical period drama.

Or is the supernatural premise Caesar and Brutus hanging out in the arctic?

No, it's based on a book by Dan Simmons who's been writing a lot of historical fiction of late. Basically he takes all we know about the real expedition and then adds a twist to it. So in this case the crews of Terror and Erebus are being stalked by a giant polar bear.

No, really.

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Savonarola

Chappaquiddick (2018)

An intriguing remake of "The Godfather."  In this version both Michael and Sonny are gunned down, and Fredo is left to run the family.  The results are predictably tragic.  They change the names and switch some things up.  Instead of being about a crime family with close ties to politicians it's about a political family with close ties to organized crime; like no one is going to catch on.

;)

This isn't a bad character study; Jason Clarke does a credible job as portraying Ted as a complex character: both a cunning political animal and a buffoon; a man trying to do what's right and one who is trying to live up to his family's expectations no matter what the cost; and most of all a man plagued by feelings of inadequacy.  The weakness in his performance Clarke bears an unfortunate resemblance to Chandler from "Friends."  Ed Helms does a good job as Ted's cousin Joe Gargan, (the Tom Hagen in this film.)  The film is, of course, speculation; no living person knows what really happened and why Ted did what he did.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

KRonn

I watched one season of that show. Pretty good show, I really liked that season's story. But the next season's story I didn't really care for and stopped watching. Haven't gotten back into it yet.

Maladict

Quote from: Josephus on April 26, 2018, 02:05:31 PM
Quote from: Maladict on April 25, 2018, 12:37:14 PM
Quote from: Josephus on April 25, 2018, 11:31:29 AM
Anyone watching The Terror on AMC? Supernatural account of the Franklin Expedition. Absolutely no lesbians...but a bit of gay stuff  (it does take place on two ships full of men stranded in the Arctic after all)

I stumbled upon the first episode while in the US, I thought it was a historical period drama.

Or is the supernatural premise Caesar and Brutus hanging out in the arctic?

No, it's based on a book by Dan Simmons who's been writing a lot of historical fiction of late. Basically he takes all we know about the real expedition and then adds a twist to it. So in this case the crews of Terror and Erebus are being stalked by a giant polar bear.

No, really.

Now I don't mind not being able to follow up on the first ep.  :)

The Brain

Dude. High School is coming to an end and a young woman and her three friends must deal with life, changes, and loss. Pretty good, I thought it was insightful and it didn't drag. Notes: [spoiler]There is no lesbian sex.[/spoiler] The half-black friend is hot.

The Brain

Side Effects. Depressed young wife gets worse when her husband is released from jail. She's put on new medication but there are... Side Effects. Totally decent ([spoiler]if somewhat contrived[/spoiler]), but then I'm a big Jude Law fan. [spoiler]Note: there's some Catherine Zeta-Jones - Rooney Mara lesbian action.[/spoiler]

celedhring

Started watching Lucifer, aka the Devil solves murder cases in LA. As a procedural it's pretty rote, but the delightfully scenery-chewing lead more than makes up for it. Good guilty pleasure.

garbon

Quote from: celedhring on April 28, 2018, 06:09:25 AM
Started watching Lucifer, aka the Devil solves murder cases in LA. As a procedural it's pretty rote, but the delightfully scenery-chewing lead more than makes up for it. Good guilty pleasure.

Yeah, definitely. Off the back of your earlier comment, I'd say it probably gets more fun once Tricia Helfer shows up but entertaining pretty much throughout.

I love Mazikeen and the therapist, Linda. Also, a show that features a not annoying child.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

celedhring

Quote from: garbon on April 28, 2018, 08:58:42 AM
Quote from: celedhring on April 28, 2018, 06:09:25 AM

Yeah, definitely. Off the back of your earlier comment, I'd say it probably gets more fun once Tricia Helfer shows up but entertaining pretty much throughout.

I love Mazikeen and the therapist, Linda. Also, a show that features a not annoying child.

Deleted that comment after another friend told me the opposite, I'm just on ep. 5 so I don't have an opinion yet.  :lol:

But yeah, I'm having lots of fun. Mazikeen hasn't done much so far besides serving drinks and being annoyed because Lucifer is going soft, but I'll take your word that she eventually becomes a more interesting character.

garbon

I had forgot how boring she was with that plot in season 1 (the Luci is too soft one). :D