News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Beethoven was the Tom Brady of music. A cheater.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

celedhring

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 19, 2018, 01:40:08 AM
Laurel Canyon (2002).  If you're a Kate Beckinsale fan you have to check this flick out.  Her super powers have never been as well displayed as in this movie.  Only movie I've ever seen about two beautiful people (& Christian Bale) falling out of love.  Pretty leisurely paced, so don't watch it high on meth.  Kind of like a David Lynch movie without the psycho parts.

That would be La Tabla de Flandes, Spanish movie she did in the 1990s. Although you have to dig her short hair look.

The Brain

Quote from: celedhring on May 20, 2018, 08:54:08 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 19, 2018, 01:40:08 AM
Laurel Canyon (2002).  If you're a Kate Beckinsale fan you have to check this flick out.  Her super powers have never been as well displayed as in this movie.  Only movie I've ever seen about two beautiful people (& Christian Bale) falling out of love.  Pretty leisurely paced, so don't watch it high on meth.  Kind of like a David Lynch movie without the psycho parts.

That would be La Tabla de Flandes, Spanish movie she did in the 1990s. Although you have to dig her short hair look.

Short hair? :w00t:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: celedhring on May 20, 2018, 08:54:08 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3BVWCBUKAU

I'll stick with my original call, though I see your point.

Some Spanish language movies have an unfortunate tendency to come across as telenovelas.

The Brain

American Horror Story, S3. Not as good as S2, but still quite enjoyable. Movie star witch is hot.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Josephus

Quote from: The Brain on May 20, 2018, 03:57:27 PM
American Horror Story, S3. Not as good as S2, but still quite enjoyable. Movie star witch is hot.

I find with AHS. any season past the first one, is that it begins well, with good premise, but has a hard time holding it all together midway.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Berkut

Quote from: Josephus on May 21, 2018, 08:11:51 AM
Quote from: The Brain on May 20, 2018, 03:57:27 PM

I find with AHS. any season past the first one, is that it begins well, with good premise, but has a hard time holding it all together midway.

I was thinking about trying to write a novel.

I think I have a pretty damn good idea for an overall plot. I really do. (Ignoring for the moment whether or not I can actually *write* for a damn).

But I was thinking the other day about this, and I thought of what I consider good science fiction (my idea is SF).

Here is the thing:

WHen I look at stories like The Expanse series, or Robinson, or something like that. Good fiction with interesting stories.

What is amazing about them isn't just the overall story. Its the little stories withing the overall story. All those secondary plots that should be interesting and compelling in and of themselves, but still tie back into the overall plot.

That is what makes me think writing good fiction is so much harder than just coming up with a good plot. Multiple story arcs, multiple character arcs, and it all has to hang together coherently.

That is what I think also makes something like AHS difficult. You can't just have a singular neat idea - you have to flesh it out with a bunch of other stuff that is interesting.

Even a simple show like The Office - a single 30 minutes episode will generally have at least two different stories going in the same episode, sometimes three. I find that kind of fascinating, how they do that, and how rarely shows do it well.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: Berkut on May 21, 2018, 08:21:17 AM
Even a simple show like The Office - a single 30 minutes episode will generally have at least two different stories going in the same episode, sometimes three. I find that kind of fascinating, how they do that, and how rarely shows do it well.
Speaking of... after seeing random episodes when it originally aired, I decided to watch the entire series.  I'm mid-way through Season 3 and thoroughly enjoying it.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

11B4V

The Expanse S4 picked up by Amazon :D
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

KRonn

Quote from: 11B4V on May 21, 2018, 08:17:42 PM
That's good. I don't have Amazon but maybe in the future I'll get it. Or later when available, get the series on DvD.

garbon

Ah apparently Bezos loves it.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

celedhring

Just started watching The Tick over at Amazon. It's a really funny, surprisingly good show.

(never got to watch the old animated show)

HVC

Quote from: garbon on May 22, 2018, 01:39:46 AM

It's good to be insanely rich.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

garbon

Quote from: HVC on May 22, 2018, 07:35:46 AM
Quote from: garbon on May 22, 2018, 01:39:46 AM

It's good to be insanely rich.

Indeed.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/expanse-revived-season-4-at-amazon-1113803

Quote'The Expanse' Revived for Season 4 at Amazon

Amazon Studios is in talks to revive one of CEO Jeff Bezos' favorite properties.

The retailer and streaming outlet is near a deal to revive the space drama The Expanse for a fourth season just 10 days after Syfy canceled the series. Amazon Studios declined comment as sources note the deal is not closed.

Syfy had only first-run linear rights in the U.S. to The Expanse, which was based on James S. A. Corey's best-selling book series of the same name and starred Steven Strait. Amazon Studios had streaming rights to the first three seasons of the show. Sources say Bezos is a big fan of the book and was livid that the TV series went to NBCUniversal-owned Syfy. The move is said to have ignited Bezos' demand that Amazon Studios brass find the company's version of Game of Thrones.

The Expanse was a pricey swing for Syfy and the nature of the deal put additional pressure for the show to perform on its linear network as the cabler did not have either SVOD or international rights to profit from. (Netflix had international rights to the series.) The drama was Syfy's first major push back into the traditional science fiction genre.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Grey Fox

I still find it so weird to see James S.A. Corey referred as a person in all these TV articles.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.