News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Quote from: SavonarolaSo I Googled her and, yes, she is the grand-daughter of the great Elia Kazan.

That reminds me of a film I recently saw: America, America! Kazan was less than great in that case.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: mongers on July 19, 2017, 07:18:33 PM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on July 19, 2017, 01:25:37 PM
Quote from: Valmy on July 19, 2017, 01:23:53 PM
Oh are the French not in Dunkirk? That sucks.

Not very much according to the movie. There is one scene though, plus the end recap.

That's rather disappointing, so instead of re-examining some of the mythology around the evacuation, he's chosen the easy path of building upon it?

What's the big 'undiscovered' truth in the movie, that the RAF actually did a lot of fighting in the skies above beaches?

The movie has not such ambitions sorry.  :P An immersive and visceral look into the battle.

Well, to be fair make it two brief scenes with then French. [spoiler]There is something more but it is a major spoiler[/spoiler].
The Belgians are perhaps mentioned in a line at the end but that's all.

The RAF is indeed mentioned, [spoiler]no Hurricanes shown in the movie just alluded once[/spoiler]. This is not on the Battle of Britain movie scale though. Same kind of Bf 109s too. ;)
Well, without spoiling too much, the focus chosen by Nolan does not lend itself for an analysis on the geopolitical or geostrategical scale though characters allude to it a couple of times. Not much dialog, btw. This is not one of the best war movies EVAH but it is more than watchable on the big screen.

The British Dunkirk movie (1958) is broadcast tonight on TV, worth watching?

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

viper37

Interesting.  But if the Confederates did secede, I don't see how it can be called a "Third civil war".
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Grey Fox

Quote from: viper37 on July 20, 2017, 07:46:38 AM
Interesting.  But if the Confederates did secede, I don't see how it can be called a "Third civil war".

You assume that it is a USA vs CSA conflict.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Savonarola

Quote from: Eddie Teach on July 19, 2017, 10:39:43 PM
Quote from: SavonarolaSo I Googled her and, yes, she is the grand-daughter of the great Elia Kazan.

That reminds me of a film I recently saw: America, America! Kazan was less than great in that case.

Even John Ford :alberta: had some duds.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

viper37

Quote from: Grey Fox on July 20, 2017, 07:51:56 AM
Quote from: viper37 on July 20, 2017, 07:46:38 AM

You assume that it is a USA vs CSA conflict.
Ah, yes.  I figured it'd be another war between the Federates and Confederates, not Federates vs Federates.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Ed Anger

I let the twins watch Deadpool. Got fucking sick of hearing "our friends have seen it". A little naughty but dammit, they aren't nuns. The did giggle at Ryan Renyolds butt. My wife giggled too. HOW MATURE.

Fuck it, I was seeing worse shit at their age.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

And so the cycle continues.

DADDY SAID ITS OK TO HIT WHORES

Ed Anger

You don't get a vote, non-breeder.

CountDeMoney

You're tracking your carbon footprint all over my carpet.

Ed Anger

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 20, 2017, 08:12:53 PM
You're tracking your carbon footprint all over my carpet.

It's YUGE

Gups

The new planet of the apes film. OK but too long and not up to the standards of the first two.

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

celedhring

I'm up to Handmaid's Tale ep. 4 - fantastic so far. Elizabeth Moss of Mad Men fame is amazing in this, plus the visuals and directing are unnerving yet at the same time intimate - you become really close to the main character and her ordeal.

Only "but" is that the flashbacks where they attempt to explain how the US becomes the Christian version of Iran are pretty unconvincing - these kind of premises are sometimes best left unexplained.