News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

katmai

Learn how to quote filthy atheist quacker.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Valmy

Quote from: viper37 on July 23, 2017, 10:56:47 PM
Religion is a sensitive subject.  I think I got it.  A long time ago. ;) 

Not really. Nobody is jumping all over Yi for pointing out obvious things. I disagreed with you because you were wrong full stop. You can say correct things about all sorts of subjects, sensitive or otherwise, without me disagreeing.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

frunk

Finally caught Rogue One.  Quite enjoyed it, although i can't help but think that the writer wanted to prove a point about the Star Wars argument in Clerks.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: frunk on July 24, 2017, 11:54:31 AM
Finally caught Rogue One.  Quite enjoyed it, although i can't help but think that the writer wanted to prove a point about the Star Wars argument in Clerks.

I caught it for the first time on Netflix this weekend, too :lol:
Struck me as trying to dial the Campbell-Hero-Mythos-Meets-The-Battle-Of-Midway of the original Star Wars to 11 by tossing in D-Day.

Eddie Teach

You may be overthinking it just a tad.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

CountDeMoney

I'm going to cut across the Akagi's axis and try to draw their fire.

frunk

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 24, 2017, 12:08:00 PM
Struck me as trying to dial the Campbell-Hero-Mythos-Meets-The-Battle-Of-Midway of the original Star Wars to 11 by tossing in D-Day.

That was my biggest complaint, that they dialed it up too much with the [spoiler]big fleet action (and destruction)[/spoiler] at the end.  I would have preferred if it stayed smaller scale and focused which is where the best parts of the movie were.

Savonarola

I finished watching the James Burke Documentary "The Day the Universe Changed" from 1986.  The premise is that as science developed mankind's view of the universe and our role in it changed.  At the end of the final chapter he gives a little speech about how the people who went against the grain had a rough time of it (argue with the church and you were a heretic, argue with the state and you were a revolutionary, argue with the educational establishment and you were a fool), but with the computer (and the internet, though he didn't mention that) he expressed hope that many disparate views would be able to arise.  These, in turn, would allow for a broader perspective.  So I thought, "Huh, I guess that didn't work out.  Better luck next time."

;)

I had also attended a lecture a few weeks ago at the Funk Museum; which, despite its name, is a fabric museum.  The curator there compared our modern world to the time when Japan was opened to the west.  So much more information is now available than ever before that radical changes to fashion (from her perspective, but it could be culture or society as well) are occurring.  So maybe the Brexit and the Trump presidency will one day be looked upon as the Satsuma Rebellion is by the Japanese (and maybe one day the Japanese will make an awful film about a Japanese man who goes to England and teaches Theresa May what it means to be British  :bowler:.  The Last Soccer Hooligan.)
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Barrister

Quote from: frunk on July 24, 2017, 12:15:08 PM

That was my biggest complaint, that they dialed it up too much with the [spoiler]big fleet action (and destruction)[/spoiler] at the end.  I would have preferred if it stayed smaller scale and focused which is where the best parts of the movie were.

But remember the opening crawl from Ep 4?

QuoteIt is a period of civil war. Rebel spaceships, striking from a hidden base, have won their first victory against the evil Galactic Empire.
During the battle, Rebel spies managed to steal secret plans to the Empire's ultimate weapon, the DEATH STAR, an armored space station with enough power to destroy an entire planet.

There kind of had to be a space battle of some sort.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Savonarola on July 24, 2017, 01:17:19 PM
I had also attended a lecture a few weeks ago at the Funk Museum

I went to the Funkmonk Museum once.  A shitload of spreadsheets on papyrus.

QuoteSo maybe the Brexit and the Trump presidency will one day be looked upon as the Satsuma Rebellion is by the Japanese

"The perfect tweet is a bigly thing. You could spend your life tweetstorming for one, and it would not be a wasted news cycle."

garbon

I'm going to be so sad to see Orphan Black end. :cry:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

11B4V

Oasis

Not bad hope it gets picked up.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Barrister on July 24, 2017, 01:29:12 PM
Quote from: frunk on July 24, 2017, 12:15:08 PM

QuoteIt is a period of civil war. Rebel spaceships, striking from a hidden base, have won their first victory against the evil Galactic Empire.
During the battle, Rebel spies managed to steal secret plans to the Empire's ultimate weapon, the DEATH STAR, an armored space station with enough power to destroy an entire planet.

Dudley has a point.

frunk

Quote from: Barrister on July 24, 2017, 01:29:12 PM

Meh, I'm talking about the narrative in this particular movie.  The big fleet battle was a distraction from the action on the ground.  You can have a battle, but it doesn't have to be a big one (I mean it does nowadays because every movie has HUUUGE action scenes).  It could be [spoiler]a few X/Y Wings acting as a distraction to allow Rogue One to escape with the plans before getting tracked down by Vader.[/spoiler]  That makes more sense than the goofy planetary shield thing, which once again plays back into the old and very repetitive tropes of Star Wars.

CountDeMoney

The shoehorned ending [spoiler]kinda destroys the whole "If this is a consular ship, where is the Ambassador?" premise of Episode IV.[/spoiler]