News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Of course, that's the problem with retconning sci-fi to fit a backstory, regardless of the universe.

Hell, the Catholic Church did a better job than either Star Wars or Star Trek.  Granted, it took 500 years or so, but the Church didn't have to work around George Lucas' or Gene Roddenberry's fuck ups, either.  They would've just been tried and burned.  :pope: :yeah:

mongers

Quote from: Savonarola on July 24, 2017, 01:17:19 PM
I finished watching the James Burke Documentary "The Day the Universe Changed" from 1986.  The premise is that as science developed mankind's view of the universe and our role in it changed.  At the end of the final chapter he gives a little speech about how the people who went against the grain had a rough time of it (argue with the church and you were a heretic, argue with the state and you were a revolutionary, argue with the educational establishment and you were a fool), but with the computer (and the internet, though he didn't mention that) he expressed hope that many disparate views would be able to arise.  These, in turn, would allow for a broader perspective.  So I thought, "Huh, I guess that didn't work out.  Better luck next time."

;)

Still a genius or at the very least a great communicator and enthusiast*.   

* Gave up spending an extra few seconds trying to think of the word for someone who encourages enthusiasm in others.

Incidentally if you have the time check out the beginning 15 minutes of the first episode of 'Connections', it's somewhat spooky.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

frunk

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 24, 2017, 07:24:29 PM
The shoehorned ending [spoiler]kinda destroys the whole "If this is a consular ship, where is the Ambassador?" premise of Episode IV.[/spoiler]

True.  I'm curious to know what the re-shoots changed.

Ed Anger

I liked the Vader boarding scene. Assrape ahoy!

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ed Anger on July 24, 2017, 07:43:15 PM
I liked the Vader boarding scene. Assrape ahoy!

Just lost his shit, too. 

A Christian don't go around a village cutting off heads and shit.

katmai

Quote from: frunk on July 24, 2017, 07:42:21 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 24, 2017, 07:24:29 PM
The shoehorned ending [spoiler]kinda destroys the whole "If this is a consular ship, where is the Ambassador?" premise of Episode IV.[/spoiler]

True.  I'm curious to know what the re-shoots changed.

Part of it was lead characters surviving the planet or so i've read.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

CountDeMoney

Quote from: katmai on July 24, 2017, 08:09:42 PM
Part of it was lead characters surviving the planet or so i've read.

Seriously?  The whole thing about these "Star Wars Stories" is they were supposed to be one-off products. Fucking Disney.

I would say I hope the Millennials get their childhoods raped as fucking hard and wide as our GenX kiddie puckernuts have by the Hollywood Industrial Complex, but they'll never notice because their faces will be buried in their little autism machines, not answering the fucking phone.

Ed Anger

Eddie Teach

Quote from: mongers on July 24, 2017, 07:34:51 PM
* Gave up spending an extra few seconds trying to think of the word for someone who encourages enthusiasm

Motivator.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Savonarola

Quote from: mongers on July 24, 2017, 07:34:51 PM
Still a genius or at the very least a great communicator and enthusiast*.

Yes, it's a great series.  The ending was amusing because it seems so wrong from our current perspective; but that will change in time too.

QuoteIncidentally if you have the time check out the beginning 15 minutes of the first episode of 'Connections', it's somewhat spooky.

The technological trap, right?  It's what every doomsday prepper hopes for.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Zanza

Did anybody watch The Ozarks on Netflix? It's billed as the new Breaking Bad.

11B4V

Quote from: Zanza on July 25, 2017, 01:43:18 PM
Did anybody watch The Ozarks on Netflix? It's billed as the new Breaking Bad.

It's pretty good. Similar but different.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Ed Anger

American Greed - Art Schlichter.

Seedy's favorite Colts QB.