News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

That was Andrew Garfield right? He's no longer New Spiderman.  :lol:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Admiral Yi

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

Quote from: Eddie Teach on July 23, 2017, 01:29:58 AM
That was Andrew Garfield right? He's no longer New Spiderman.  :lol:

:yes:

Now he's a gay on stage.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Syt

Watched Season 3 of Better Call Saul. Excellent.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Drakken on July 23, 2017, 09:11:33 AM
Uh, no.

Of course, you're European and all halfbreeds get tossed in the autoclave.

CountDeMoney

John Heard passed away.  71.

viper37

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 23, 2017, 12:53:15 AM
It's stylized Christian pacifist propaganda.
shhh.  Don't say such things out loud.  ;)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Drakken on July 23, 2017, 12:10:46 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on July 22, 2017, 07:18:54 PM
I highly recommend seeing Dunkirk on the big screen.  Its more about the experience than the story.

I concur, it was a great IMAX experience, easily the best of 2017 so far.

However, I am not sure I am comfortable with Nolan's artistic choices. [spoiler]I felt like in a war "horror movie", with the unseen Germans acting like an invisible slasher villain. We never see the enemy, except in the air with the (few) Luftwaffe piecemeal attempts to attack the ships and the beachhead. Even at the end, the Germans are blurry and faceless. They also go out of the way to mention they are Germans the least possible. Water was more of a threat to the British than the Germans ever were, even on the beach, which feels very odd.[/spoiler]

I agree, that was a bit off putting, but imo a fairly minor flaw.

Just watched about 2/3 of Hacksaw Ridge.  This is one of the weirdest movies I have seen in a long time.  It's stylized Christian pacifist propaganda.

New Spiderman plays a Seventh Day Adventist conscientious objector who enlists during WWII in the hopes of serving as a medic, over the objections of his father Agent Smith, who served in WWI and is haunted by his experience (which is the reason he beats his wife).

New Spiderman shows up at basic training and is greated by Vince Vaughn doing Trent from Swingers doing Gunnery Sargent Hartman.  He gets yelled at.  He gets punished with KP duty.  He gets beat up.  He gets court martialed.

Eventually he ends up on Okinawa, where he and the boys climb a rope net up a cliff.  Then John Woo explosions and gymnastics are combined with Saving Private Ryan chunks of meat and Guadalcanal Diary choreography.  After they blow up the bunker they charge the Japs and get into a big fist fight.  At the bar fight i said I can't watch this anymore.

You got further than I did.  I turned it off before he even got close to going to war.

Valmy

Quote from: viper37 on July 23, 2017, 05:53:05 PM
It's stylized Christian pacifist propaganda.
shhh.  Don't say such things out loud.  ;)

You just don't get it Viper :lol:

Ah well.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

viper37

Religion is a sensitive subject.  I think I got it.  A long time ago. ;) 
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.