News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tonitrus

Superman is the Jewish messiah.  General Zod is the hidden Imam.

celedhring

Quote from: Valmy on July 17, 2017, 01:42:49 PM
Quote from: celedhring on July 17, 2017, 01:26:52 PM
As I said a few pages ago, Viper has a point and it's perfectly natural that superhero movies are riddled with religious motifs.

And as I responded a few pages ago that is moving the goal posts. The motifs are cultural ones not literal Christianity like Viper was claiming. Which was my entire point.

I really don't understand how's that moving the goalposts. How does that make those motifs not Christian if we live in a Christian culture and they're drawn from Christian myths?

The Bible was in my mandatory reading list when I studied filmmaking. And I was in a secular school.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: viper37 on July 17, 2017, 12:05:23 PM

I'm not really concerned by Bastille Day. :)

Fête de la Fédération type?  :P

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on July 17, 2017, 12:26:00 PM
Quote from: viper37 on July 17, 2017, 12:08:56 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on July 16, 2017, 12:04:42 AM
Why spend so much time talking about atheism? That's the good thing about it. You don't have to spend any time on it.
Except on this thread, once challenged by a very angry CdM, a very angry Raz, an annoyed Valmy on the defensive and a cohort of others, I do not remember having talked a lot about of Atheism, except when asked specifically about it, nor do I remember mocking someone's religion, or insinuating anything about religious people.  All I said was that religion was very present in your iconic cultural product: blockbuster movies.

Hey I love Atheists.
you have strange ways of showing it.  You killed that poor atheist bastard for rebelling against the Church in Dragon Age II :(

:P
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on July 17, 2017, 01:58:48 PM

try St-Jean-Baptiste :P

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Duque de Bragança

Valmy

Quote from: viper37 on July 17, 2017, 02:08:55 PM
you have strange ways of showing it.  You killed that poor atheist bastard for rebelling against the Church in Dragon Age II :(

:P

Yes but he was really really annoying :blush:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: celedhring on July 17, 2017, 01:52:17 PM
As I said a few pages ago, Viper has a point and it's perfectly natural that superhero movies are riddled with religious motifs.

And as I responded a few pages ago that is moving the goal posts. The motifs are cultural ones not literal Christianity like Viper was claiming. Which was my entire point.

I really don't understand how's that moving the goalposts. How does that make those motifs not Christian if we live in a Christian culture and they're drawn from Christian myths?

The Bible was in my mandatory reading list when I studied filmmaking. And I was in a secular school.

I don't think the motifs really come from the Bible since in most forms it lacks pictures :hmm:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

celedhring

Quote from: Valmy on July 17, 2017, 03:11:04 PM

I don't think the motifs really come from the Bible since in most forms it lacks pictures :hmm:

Motif is also used for recurrent themes in artwork, not just images.

garbon

Quote from: celedhring on July 17, 2017, 03:27:09 PM
Quote from: Valmy on July 17, 2017, 03:11:04 PM

Motif is also used for recurrent themes in artwork, not just images.

Anyway, goal post changing as viper wasn't saying that JP films were full of Christian motifs, he was summarizing the films as largely being based one people's relationships with God.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

viper37

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on July 17, 2017, 02:14:07 PM
Quote from: viper37 on July 17, 2017, 02:09:18 PM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on July 17, 2017, 01:58:48 PM

try St-Jean-Baptiste :P

Religion, again.  :P
only because I'm an old man ;)
The official designation is Fête national du Québec, but I grew up hearing my parents calling it "St-Jean", so it stuck with me :)

celedhring

Quote from: garbon on July 17, 2017, 03:32:27 PM
Anyway, goal post changing as viper wasn't saying that JP films were full of Christian motifs, he was summarizing the films as largely being based one people's relationships with God.

...and that's indeed a theme in JP, although mostly in the first one - carried from the book - and marginally in the last one, which is pretty much a souped up remake from the original film.

I just wouldn't say it's central in the film, certainly, but it's there. The fact that Viper overemphasizes its importance doesn't mean he's completely off-base. Which is why I stepped in since I love talking about this stuff.  :P

viper37

I never said it was central :)  Yes, I overemphasized it, because I thought it was a funny way to look at the movie, since the dino slasher is the really obvious part, the one we focus on.   I never expected people here to be so touchy about it, gee.

Admiral Yi

I'm streaming Keeping up with the Joneses and the idea that Gal Gadot can somehow not be eye candy is retarded.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 18, 2017, 09:46:29 PM
the idea that Gal Gadot can somehow not be eye candy is retarded.

That's Jewhaters for you.  Any way to rationalize it.