And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HVC

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 16, 2017, 11:58:36 PM
Quote from: HVC on July 16, 2017, 09:03:49 PM
First episode of GoT is always slow, but I'm glad it's back.

I am on Episode 2, I believe.  [spoiler]Season 1.[/spoiler]   :ph34r:

Pick your favorite character. There's a pretty good chance they're dead by now :lol:
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Eddie Teach

Tyrion isn't dead yet.  :P
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

celedhring

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on July 16, 2017, 11:59:13 PM
Quote from: celedhring on July 16, 2017, 04:22:46 PM
War of the Planet of the Apes - Meh. All the lifts from Apocalypse Now (even acknowledged within the movie) felt pretty weird too, and don't particularly elevate the film. The filmmakers just don't seem to have a story to tell and lurch from vignette through vignette.
:( I was really looking forward to this.  I just finished reading the prequel that bridges the gap between 2 and 3.

Me too, I was quite disappointed. Humans always behaving like morons notwithstanding, I quite liked the previous films. This one is still a breadth of fresh air in a blockbuster world dominated by flying guys in pajamas, but it really feels the series has run out of steam.

Eddie Teach

Saw The Lost City of Z, well most of it, fell asleep. This was kind of a bait and switch. Trailer suggests Indiana Jones or The Mummy instead you get The Mission with lesser cast and score.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

celedhring

Quote from: Eddie Teach on July 17, 2017, 04:01:17 AM
Saw The Lost City of Z, well most of it, fell asleep. This was kind of a bait and switch. Trailer suggests Indiana Jones or The Mummy instead you get The Mission with lesser cast and score.

I went in expecting a watered down "Aguirre, the Wrath of God" and got the same as you.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: celedhring on July 17, 2017, 04:55:18 AM
Quote from: Eddie Teach on July 17, 2017, 04:01:17 AM

I went in expecting a watered down "Aguirre, the Wrath of God" and got the same as you.

Saura's El Dorado gets no love nowadays. :(

CountDeMoney

Quote from: celedhring on July 17, 2017, 04:55:18 AM

I would water down "Aguilera, the Wrath of God" anytime.

viper37

Quote from: Eddie Teach on July 15, 2017, 08:23:06 PM
Quote from: viper37 on July 15, 2017, 06:00:08 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on July 15, 2017, 02:28:47 PM
Well, asking you to be less stupid about it would ideal, but if you keep quite that works as well.
since you consider atheism to be stupid, there isn't any way I can be less stupid if I talk about it.

Try not bringing it up unless it's relevant, so not when discussing Spider-Man.
how about trying not to over-react to any comment? :)
I wrote a silly movie review, for a trilogy that has been out there for 24 years and everyone has seen.  I'm not a professional reviewer writing for the New York Time and I just commented on the multiple appearances of religion in your cultural product.  And right there, I hit a nerve.  People like Raz talk constantly about how French is an inferior language and we should disapear as a culture, but I shouldn't react to that because, ah, that's racism when you wish for your culture to be protected.  But mention anything related to religion, and there are people willing to slaughter you.  Talk about double standards.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 15, 2017, 08:26:05 PM
Quote from: viper37 on July 15, 2017, 05:59:30 PM
The Birth of a nation (2016).

I don't know. Weird movie.  I'm supposed to get something out of it, but I really don't get it.  Slavery is bad.  Ok, we all knew that since Spartacus, at least.  Those that refuse to acknowledge it will not be convinced by this movie.  I can't feel anything for the main characters, I don't grow attached to them or anything that happens to them.  And it's slow, very slow.  meh.  2.5/5, for the effort of trying something.

:lol:  What's with turning the doucheness up to 11 recently? Is it a Bastille Day thing or something?
I'm not really concerned by Bastille Day. :)

Did you like the movie?  Ok, let's talk about it: what is it you liked about it?

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: 11B4V on July 16, 2017, 12:04:42 AM
Why spend so much time talking about atheism? That's the good thing about it. You don't have to spend any time on it.
Except on this thread, once challenged by a very angry CdM, a very angry Raz, an annoyed Valmy on the defensive and a cohort of others, I do not remember having talked a lot about of Atheism, except when asked specifically about it, nor do I remember mocking someone's religion, or insinuating anything about religious people.  All I said was that religion was very present in your iconic cultural product: blockbuster movies.

viper37

Quote from: Tyr on July 16, 2017, 08:33:02 AM
Quote from: viper37 on July 15, 2017, 05:59:30 PM
The Birth of a nation (2016).

I don't know. Weird movie.  I'm supposed to get something out of it, but I really don't get it.  Slavery is bad.  Ok, we all knew that since Spartacus, at least.  Those that refuse to acknowledge it will not be convinced by this movie.  I can't feel anything for the main characters, I don't grow attached to them or anything that happens to them.  And it's slow, very slow.  meh.  2.5/5, for the effort of trying something.

I'm not getting the choice of title.
They're intentionally trying to rile up the 5 kkk members left?
they tripled their number since Trump is in office ;)

the title was intentional, from what I read.  I haven't seen the original, I'm not a fan of silent movie ;)
Only heard about the original and how it was shown in the White House last year, when reviewers started praising this movie.

Valmy

Quote from: viper37 on July 17, 2017, 12:08:56 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on July 16, 2017, 12:04:42 AM
Why spend so much time talking about atheism? That's the good thing about it. You don't have to spend any time on it.
Except on this thread, once challenged by a very angry CdM, a very angry Raz, an annoyed Valmy on the defensive and a cohort of others, I do not remember having talked a lot about of Atheism, except when asked specifically about it, nor do I remember mocking someone's religion, or insinuating anything about religious people.  All I said was that religion was very present in your iconic cultural product: blockbuster movies.

Hey I love Atheists. I just think you are putting religion in something that does not have anything to do with religion just because they used US colloquialisms.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on July 17, 2017, 12:26:00 PM
I just think you are putting religion in something that does not have anything to do with religion
I'm not the one putting religion in this.  I didn't make these movies ;) :D

celedhring

As I said a few pages ago, Viper has a point and it's perfectly natural that superhero movies are riddled with religious motifs.

Valmy

Quote from: celedhring on July 17, 2017, 01:26:52 PM
As I said a few pages ago, Viper has a point and it's perfectly natural that superhero movies are riddled with religious motifs.

And as I responded a few pages ago that is moving the goal posts. The motifs are cultural ones not literal Christianity like Viper was claiming. Which was my entire point.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."