News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Nah lacrosse would be saying Batman and robin was just as good as the dark knight.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

CountDeMoney

viper37

Quote from: celedhring on March 06, 2017, 05:57:29 PM
Doctor Strange. Average. Not bad, not particularly good either. Pretty formulaic.
Re-Boo  :mad:

:P

Ok, outside of the visuals, the story is pretty classic, and you can easily guess what will be happening.
The mentor always has to die to leave the place to the trainee that becomes the new master.  It's been like this since forever, or Star Wars, which is the same in my case :P
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Josquius

Quote from: viper37 on March 06, 2017, 11:49:52 PM
Doctor Strange. Average. Not bad, not particularly good either. Pretty formulaic.

Ok, outside of the visuals, the story is pretty classic, and you can easily guess what will be happening.
The mentor always has to die to leave the place to the trainee that becomes the new master.  It's been like this since forever, or Star Wars, which is the same in my case :P

At least in star wars they had the valid excuse that the new trainee was the only trainee.
Must suck for those other magic guys to have strange jump the line like this
██████
██████
██████

viper37

Quote from: Tyr on March 07, 2017, 02:03:05 AM

he's a natural.  ;)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Scipio

Galavant was a great little show. My wife and I just finished binge-watching it. Now we're watching Hap and Leonard, which just hit Netflix. That shit is ridiculous. James Purefoy as shitheel Texan with Michael K. Williams as his conservative homosexual black best friend who volunteered to go to Nam. Christina Hendricks as well. Fucking brilliant.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Berkut

See, on the one hand your review makes me interested in trying Hap and Leonard.

On the other hand, you started the post by admitting you watched more than 12 minutes of Galavant, so your taste in any kind of show is definitely rather suspect.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

celedhring

Quote from: Tyr on March 07, 2017, 02:03:05 AM
Quote from: viper37 on March 06, 2017, 11:49:52 PM

At least in star wars they had the valid excuse that the new trainee was the only trainee.

Strange jumps over the other candidates because he is an egomaniacal asshole that just has to be the absolute best and cuts corners (i. e. stealing books) in order to achieve that. That was about the most interesting part of the character, but then his conversion towards 100% bland good guy is pretty automatic.

Admiral Yi

A Serious Man.  Coen brothers flick about Jews being Jewish in 1960s (I think) Indiana.  Not much to this movie.

Josquius

Predestination - well that was.... A film. Interesting setting. They've gone for the angle that the film was made in the 50s and melded its vision of the future with actual history.
Very slow alas.
██████
██████
██████

frunk

Luke Skywalker has a question in newly revealed Last Jedi footage

[spoiler]"Who are you?" According to reports from a meeting of Disney shareholders, these are the first words spoken onscreen by Luke Skywalker in more than three decades.[/spoiler]

Which immediately raises the question:

[spoiler]is Luke Skywalker a Vorlon, or at least an inquisitor?[/spoiler]

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: frunk on March 08, 2017, 08:46:41 PM
Luke Skywalker has a question in newly revealed Last Jedi footage

[spoiler]"Who are you?" According to reports from a meeting of Disney shareholders, these are the first words spoken onscreen by Luke Skywalker in more than three decades.[/spoiler]

Which immediately raises the question:

[spoiler]is Luke Skywalker a Vorlon, or at least an inquisitor?[/spoiler]
:lol:  Nice.  Re-watching the series now for the first time in years.  Into Season 3.  Earthgov is Trumpgov.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Eddie Teach

Doctor Strange. The best parts were like Escher on acid but the plot was kind of generic.

Syt

Whoa, end of the month there's a double feature at the the main arthouse theater here: Flash Gordon and Highlander. :o  :cool:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Eddie Teach

Double features go against everything Highlander stands for.