News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

Best King book? His book on writing. Seriously.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Josephus

Quote from: Ed Anger on November 04, 2016, 07:03:55 PM
Best King book? His book on writing. Seriously.

Yes that one's a classic.

He also did a book, early on in his career, called Danse Macabre which was a non-fiction take on the horror industry. Quite good. Talks alot about the old 50s horror movies he grew up on.

But in terms of fiction he did write some good ones. Off the top of my head:

The Shining
The Stand
The Green Mile
Misery
The Talisman with Peter Straub

For his recent stuff, 11/22/63 was quite enjoyable as well.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

crazy canuck

Quote from: Josephus on November 01, 2016, 04:36:01 PM
Quote from: Martinus on October 31, 2016, 03:53:19 PM
Quote from: Liep on October 31, 2016, 07:06:36 AM
Westworld sure didn't hold back on nakedness in this episode.

I think it is meaningful. Bernard always talks to Dolores when she is clothed - Anthony Hopkins doesn't. It is meant to convey how they treat her, imho.

Several things I don't understand. When Bernard/Hopkins are talking to Dolores, where IS Dolores? Is she still out in the physical world? And that is an avatar of her? Cause it seems like when she wakes up from her conversations, she's back where she left off.

There might be multiple Delores models and all are linked or Delores might be flashing back to conversations she had in her down times.  Not sure about the explanation but the effect provides a nice layering to the narrative.

katmai

Dr. Strange.
Enjoyed it, except for few nods to rest of marvel wouldn't have known it takes place in connected universe.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

The Brain

Embrace of the Vampire (2013). Didn't see the 1995 version, but this is definitely the kind of movie that was more important before the internet exploded. Scenes would have ended up on my mix VHS for sure.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Liep

The Night Of

Started strong, fizzed out a bit in the middle with some weird side stories, ended as a pretty good courtroom drama.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Liep

Quote from: The Brain on November 06, 2016, 03:24:01 AM
Embrace of the Vampire (2013). Didn't see the 1995 version, but this is definitely the kind of movie that was more important before the internet exploded. Scenes would have ended up on my mix VHS for sure.

I remember scenes from the '95 version.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

crazy canuck

Quote from: katmai on November 05, 2016, 01:23:23 AM
Dr. Strange.
Enjoyed it, except for few nods to rest of marvel wouldn't have known it takes place in connected universe.

Good to hear.  I will try to see it some time this week.  :)

Josquius

Westword Ep 4-

Yeah. I'm behind. Trying to catch up slowly.

Interesting scene with the black prostitute lady and the drawing.
It would make a very good scene from a horror movie told entirely from her POV except of course we have all of the information where we normally wouldn't. We're getting her fear and the logic behind it. Very novel.
██████
██████
██████

Ed Anger

Lego movie. For the kids.

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Ed Anger

CountDeMoney

Yeah, but it's weirder when it's not your kids.

Ed Anger