Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HVC

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 06, 2016, 02:58:19 PM
Quote from: katmai on November 05, 2016, 01:23:23 AM
Dr. Strange.
Enjoyed it, except for few nods to rest of marvel wouldn't have known it takes place in connected universe.

Good to hear.  I will try to see it some time this week.  :)

You should. It's really good.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Ed Anger

It's like some woman named Esther dropping LSD in a Shaolin temple. Or so I hear.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

HVC

The original meeting is trippy, yay.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Admiral Yi

Westworld.  Watching now.  [spoiler]Did y'all notice Yul Brinner against the wall on floor B82?[/spoiler]

viper37

Quote from: celedhring on November 04, 2016, 04:10:42 PM
Star Trek Beyond. Decent. One of those movies that I can't say much wrong about, yet it isn't particularly exciting. I guess that's the problem, it's well done but the story isn't particularly compelling.

Pissed off Bones is great though. I think it's my favorite part of the reboots.
Were I gay, I would have a crush on Karl Urban.

Just seen it tonight.  The Fast & The Star Trek, it shows :)   It's pretty decent action movie, but it doesn't have much to do with Star Trek.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Ed Anger on November 06, 2016, 10:31:49 PM
It's like some woman named Esther dropping LSD in a Shaolin temple. Or so I hear.
Kind of.  Well, if you see it in a theater, in a D-Box seat, and you crank it to maximum setting, combined with the inherent motion sickness of 3D, yes, you'll feel like you are on a an LSD rush in a Shaolin temple.  Or something like that.  I've never done LSD nor been in a Shaolin temple, so I wouldn't know.  Ask Malthus for more details, he's done at least half of that ;)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

celedhring

Bringing my GF up to speed with Star Wars, since I want to take her to Rogue One when it opens and she's never watched a single Star Wars movie.

Greatest thing, watching Empire with someone that doesn't know that Vader is Luke's father. She was floored when the I'm Your Father scene came up.

Savonarola

Saw The Princess Bride (1987) at the revival house.  This time I noticed that Buttercup's falling from the window scene is an homage to the final scene Cocteau's La Belle et Le Bête.  Also I liked how Christopher Guest's fingers WENT UP TO 11!
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

celedhring

Quote from: viper37 on November 07, 2016, 02:06:28 AM
Star Trek Beyond. Decent. One of those movies that I can't say much wrong about, yet it isn't particularly exciting. I guess that's the problem, it's well done but the story isn't particularly compelling.

Just seen it tonight.  The Fast & The Star Trek, it shows :)   It's pretty decent action movie, but it doesn't have much to do with Star Trek.

Yeah, all in all it was decently entertaining but had nothing distinct to it. They tried to introduce a half-assed "pacifism is for suckers" motivation to the villain, to tie it with Rodenberrian Trek themes, but it was pretty tacked on.

Malthus

Quote from: Josephus on November 04, 2016, 06:53:27 PM
The Shining was a great film, I think King hated it because it was so different than the book he wrote (that whole maze thing in the movie, for instance, isn't in the book). I think a good "adaptation" should stand well on its own. The Shining did that.

Speaking of Dark Tower, as a teenager, back in the 80s, I loved Stephen King, but for some reason I never got into this series at all.

The Dark Tower is, like King's work in general, wildly uneven. The first book is OK, the second and third books are true classics - just awesome. The forth book is a stand-alone flashback, much over-extended. The later books are just OK-to-bad.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

Quote from: celedhring on November 07, 2016, 08:35:37 AM

Yeah, all in all it was decently entertaining but had nothing distinct to it. They tried to introduce a half-assed "pacifism is for suckers" motivation to the villain, to tie it with Rodenberrian Trek themes, but it was pretty tacked on.

The reveal of the villain was horribly disappointing, and the resolution: [spoiler]as always, horrors that are cosmic in scale get resolved with ... a fist fight.  :lol: [/spoiler]
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

celedhring

Quote from: Malthus on November 07, 2016, 09:24:30 AM
Quote from: celedhring on November 07, 2016, 08:35:37 AM

The reveal of the villain was horribly disappointing, and the resolution: [spoiler]as always, horrors that are cosmic in scale get resolved with ... a fist fight.  :lol: [/spoiler]

Yeah, I hated it when they did it in Into Darkness and couldn't believe they did it again.  :lol:

Also (not spoilering this since it was in the trailers), this is the second film in a row where the Enterprise gets totalled. It's weird how they keep reusing stuff.

celedhring

Quote from: Malthus on November 07, 2016, 09:22:50 AM
Quote from: Josephus on November 04, 2016, 06:53:27 PM
The Shining was a great film, I think King hated it because it was so different than the book he wrote (that whole maze thing in the movie, for instance, isn't in the book). I think a good "adaptation" should stand well on its own. The Shining did that.

Speaking of Dark Tower, as a teenager, back in the 80s, I loved Stephen King, but for some reason I never got into this series at all.

The Dark Tower is, like King's work in general, wildly uneven. The first book is OK, the second and third books are true classics - just awesome. The forth book is a stand-alone flashback, much over-extended. The later books are just OK-to-bad.

I love The Stand, one of the reasons I want Dark Tower to do gangbusters is that one gets brought to the big screen too. I'm actually not much of a fan of the 1990s mini.

Syt

I thought the mini series was fine for a TV production. I think if re-adapted it would be better to make it a 10 - 12 part series as opposed to a LotR style 10 hour epic.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

celedhring

Quote from: Syt on November 07, 2016, 11:00:13 AM
I thought the mini series was fine for a TV production. I think if re-adapted it would be better to make it a 10 - 12 part series as opposed to a LotR style 10 hour epic.

An updated mini brought to 2010s levels of TV quality as opposed to 90s cheese would work too, yeah.