News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 30, 2016, 10:55:27 AM
Get a chance, watch the additional material on the Dr. Stranglove DVD, has a lot of stuff about that on it.

Heh, I should get that. It's been years since I've seen Dr. Strangelove.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

CountDeMoney

Syt

George C. Scott was rather miffed about Dr Strangelove's final cut. He wanted to play his character much more serious and disagreed with Kubrick on the direction. Kubrick made a compromise with him - each scene, Scott would rendition in 3 different versions: very subdued, very over the top, and middle of the road. Kubrick then used the over the top performances.

Scott later came around to liking the movie as is.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: celedhring on September 30, 2016, 10:44:41 AM
It was adapted from a (serious) novel with a very similar plot to Fail Safe. Actually, Kubrick and the author sued the authors of Fail Safe and it was settled out of court.

IIRC the whole purpose of the lawsuit was to delay the Fail Safe release (which worked)

Personally I think they are different films with different messages that succeed in their own way, although Strangelove is obviously the greater.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Syt

Fail-Safe also had a 2000 remake. It was performed live:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0235376/
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

CountDeMoney

Ed Anger

Valkyrie

It put a little Heil in my step.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

I'm thinking of happier times.  Like before I saw that movie.

Ed Anger

I rather liked it. But Otto Remer does make me tingle in my pants.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

It was OK.  Goofy ass Nazis.

Admiral Yi

The Revenant is on HBO GO.  Definitely worth another look.

celedhring

Started watching Luke Cage on Netflix. So far so good. It's certainly slower paced than Daredevil or Jessica Jones, but they aim for more realism. If you take Luke's superpowers out of he equation, there's (so far) nothing about this show that seems comic-booky. I'm loving the canvas of black culture too, and I don't mean that in an empty SJW way, it's really engaging. You got a superhero clobbering henchmen to Wu Tang Clan music, endless dialogues about NBA history, Crispus Attucks being a weirdly central figure to the story... it's refreshing.

Mike Coulter is a powerful presence too. And I don't mean that in the sense that he's built like a friggin' brick shithouse. The guy carries this show with the same ease he rips lamp posts.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 01, 2016, 02:30:30 AM

The Saving Private Ryan of frontier movies.

celedhring

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 01, 2016, 02:58:20 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 01, 2016, 02:30:30 AM

The Saving Private Ryan of frontier movies.

In what sense?  :hmm:

Amazing battle scene at the beginning, slightly downhill from there even if solid throughout?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: celedhring on October 01, 2016, 03:01:12 AM
In what sense?  :hmm:

Amazing battle scene at the beginning, slightly downhill from there even if solid throughout?

30 minutes of acid trip intensity then some reasonable shit after.