News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

Florence Foster Jenkins: Meryl Streep plays the worst soprano in the history of opera, and Hugh Grant his (cheating) husband that tries to shield her from the fact that she's a laughing stock. The movie is pretty harmless, decent but not great, but it's certainly elevated by Streep's performance. She takes a character that could easily be ridiculous and injects her with such infectious eagerness - which hides a life tainted by tragedy - that turns Florence into a hugely relatable character. She's simply stellar in it.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Syt

Vienna Comic Con this year has Jeri Ryan (7 of 9), John Rhys-Davies, Kristian Nairn (Hodor), Mark Pellegrino (Supernatural), and Gemma Whelan (Yara Greyjoy).

Apparently, for 350 bucks you can have dinner with Jeri Ryan (10 tickets available). The dinner with John Rhys-Davies is already sold out. :D

Overall, not much of an interesting program online (an Independence Day: Resurgence panel? :rolleyes: ), so I don't feel compelled to pay €20+ entry fee per day (or €50 for the weekend).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

celedhring

Warcraft. I expected it to be bad (it is, but no more than your average dumb blockbuster), but not to be so... boring. The CGI orcs seemed to have more life to them than the entire human cast.

Josephus

Westworld.

Bit of a twist from original movie already.  :punk:
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

CountDeMoney

Syt

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2016/oct/04/guardians-of-the-galaxy-deadliest-film-83871-deaths-jrr-tolkien

QuoteGuardians of the Galaxy, the tongue-in-cheek superhero movie starring Chris Pratt, has comprehensively topped a study of the deadliest blockbusters, thanks to an especially bloody finale.

The film sees the killing of 80,000 Nova Corps pilots in one of its closing scenes, which takes its estimated on-screen body count to 83,871 – that's 78,184 more than its nearest rival.

The study was conducted by financial services comparison website Go Compare, and totted up the casualties in the best-performing Hollywood films since the 1940s.

It found that the average number of deaths in movies has risen through the decades. In 1940, there was just one film with 50 or more on-screen deaths, rising to four in 1950, 33 in 1960, 44 in 1970, 84 in 1980 and 119 in 1990. Four films from 2014 made it into the top 10.

Family films such as the Lord of the Rings trilogy were also found to feature an enormous amount of bloodshed. The combined body count of the second and third films in the series feature 4,512 deaths.

The top 10 deadliest Hollywood movies
1. Guardians of the Galaxy (2014) – 83,871 on-screen deaths
2. Dracula Untold (2014) – 5,687
3. The Sum of All fears (2002) – 2,922
4. The Lord of the Rings: Return of the King (2003) - 2,798
5. 300: Rise of An Empire (2014) – 2,234
6. Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers (2002) – 1,741
7. The Matrix Revolutions (2003) – 1,647
8. The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies (2014) – 1,417
9. Braveheart (1995) – 1,297
10. The Avengers (2012) – 1,019

I have no idea how they arrive at these numbers. Full list is here: http://www.gocompare.com/life-insurance/directors-cut

Apparently, Independence Day had 897 deaths, Man of Steel 134, and Day After Tomorrow 130 (2012 isn't on the list).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

celedhring

If the ships shot down during the GOTG finale "count", then the billions dead in Alderaan should.

11B4V

Binged Season 5 Longmire.

Sackhoff
Hot Injun broads.

B+

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

mongers

Trying to watch a bbc documentary about type 2 diabetes, but struggling, grim stuff, I'll have to FF around the amputation scenes.  :(
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Eddie Teach

Finished off Luke Cage. [spoiler]Claire is quite the superhero groupie, ain't she.[/spoiler]

Eddie Teach

Quote from: mongers on October 04, 2016, 07:30:42 PM
Trying to watch a bbc documentary about type 2 diabetes, but struggling, grim stuff, I'll have to FF around the amputation scenes.  :(

Scipio

What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

garbon

Quote from: Scipio on October 05, 2016, 07:52:15 AM
Quote from: garbon on October 04, 2016, 04:19:51 AM
Quote from: Tyr on October 04, 2016, 04:13:14 AM
I don't understand what they're saying sometimes.

Like what?
Tyr is just a jive-ass turkey.

It is odd as I don't recall anyone talking with a crazy amount of slang. I mean, I guess they do reference Nicki Minaj (Or Nicki Minidge as Apple's pronunciation called her on my old iPod).
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.