News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tonitrus

I haven't watched Casablanca in a good 10-15 years.  Need to dial that one up again. :P

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ed Anger on September 29, 2016, 08:36:20 PM
I watched the Right Stuff up to the scene when the Reds launch Sputnik.

GET THAT MORON OFF THE SCREEN

Will finish it when I have the time.

I actually saw that in the movies. :lol:  There was a 10 minute intermission right after the "vill it be zee man, or zee monkey" g-forces test scene.

Tonitrus

Quote from: Tonitrus on September 29, 2016, 08:35:13 PM
QuoteWhat did you not like about Fail Safe?

A "very good" but not "great" is enough to rile the mob?  :lol:

The weak points:

- Overacting on the colonel who breaks down.
- Extreme over acting by the bomber pilot's wife trying to talk him down.
- I know a film like this cannot have a happy ending...but something about it didn't feel satisfying (not to mention just some of the film techniques used to depict nuking NYC, as that can just be said to be the film technique of the time).  To contrast with a comparable movie...the ending of "By Dawn's Early Light" was a much more satisfying one, while still not being a happy one. (and to be clear, no, I do not think BDEL is a better overall movie in comparison).

Oh, but I do have to give the film props...what little you can hear of the Soviet premiere, and subsequent translation by the WH transator seems legit, and not some fake, lazy Russian gobbledygook.

CountDeMoney

Tonitrus is just looking for an excuse to shoot someone for not turning his missile key. 

Ed would do it at the break room vending machine, though.  SELECT B-6, SIR

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Tonitrus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 29, 2016, 09:00:08 PM
Tonitrus is just looking for an excuse to shoot someone for not turning his missile key. 

Ed would do it at the break room vending machine, though.  SELECT B-6, SIR

If B-6 was the Reese's PB cups, Ed would be in the right.

viper37

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 29, 2016, 08:37:14 PM
Quote from: Tonitrus on September 29, 2016, 08:35:13 PM
- I know a film like this cannot have a happy ending...but something about it didn't feel satisfying (not to mention just some of the film techniques used to depict nuking NYC, as that can just be said to be the film technique of the time).  To contrast with a comparable movie...the ending of "By Dawn's Early Light" was a much more satisfying one, while still not being a happy one.

I bet you're the kind of prick that saw Casablanca and said, "Meh, it's full of cliches." :mad:
Yeah, I did.  Sort of :P
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: viper37 on September 29, 2016, 11:40:46 PM

Of course you did.  You people are so cynical, you're like supermassive cynicism: cynicism ready to collapse upon itself.

"Louie, I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship."
"Ugh...what a hackneyed, overused phase."

viper37

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 29, 2016, 11:50:24 PM
Quote from: viper37 on September 29, 2016, 11:40:46 PM

Of course you did.  You people are so cynical, you're like supermassive cynicism: cynicism ready to collapse upon itself.

"Louie, I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship."
"Ugh...what a hackneyed, overused phase."
I thought more along the lines: wow, this movie had so much effect that everyone copied it and it's now cliché.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

celedhring

The problem with Fail Safe is that Kubrick made a better Fail Safe film before the real one even came out.

Malthus

Quote from: celedhring on September 30, 2016, 10:27:21 AM
The problem with Fail Safe is that Kubrick made a better Fail Safe film before the real one even came out.

I remember when I first saw Dr. Strangelove, I thought it was a parody of Fail Safe. I was very surprised to find out it came first.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

celedhring

Quote from: Malthus on September 30, 2016, 10:34:16 AM

I remember when I first saw Dr. Strangelove, I thought it was a parody of Fail Safe. I was very surprised to find out it came first.

It was adapted from a (serious) novel with a very similar plot to Fail Safe. Actually, Kubrick and the author sued the authors of Fail Safe and it was settled out of court.

Malthus

Quote from: celedhring on September 30, 2016, 10:44:41 AM
Quote from: Malthus on September 30, 2016, 10:34:16 AM

It was adapted from a (serious) novel with a very similar plot to Fail Safe. Actually, Kubrick and the author sued the authors of Fail Safe and it was settled out of court.

:lol:

That's totally a reversal of what I would have expected, isn't it.

'Your serious drama is detracting from my comedy!'
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

CountDeMoney

Get a chance, watch the additional material on the Dr. Stranglove DVD, has a lot of stuff about that on it.

garbon

Overall review of Mr. Robot Season 2? What a let down. I guess that's what often happens with shows trying for some overarching sinister plot and its reasons.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.