News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 23, 2016, 05:34:35 PM
Doesn't rewatch value require actually watching it, as opposed to a bit?

No.

Also saw some parts of Thor vs. Moby Dick.  Pretty silly CGIfest.

FunkMonk

Connie Britton is a real fox in Friday Night Lights, I tell you what son.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

mongers

So what's actually on Netflix UK, seems rather hard to find out before signing up?  :hmm:

Any guidance, note I'm not especially keen on watching new TV series, be those comedy, lifestyle, situational etc.

More interesting in film, perhaps non-blockbusters and the odd documentary. 
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

CountDeMoney

Quote from: mongers on September 23, 2016, 06:56:12 PM
So what's actually on Netflix UK, seems rather hard to find out before signing up?  :hmm:

Any guidance, note I'm not especially keen on watching new TV series, be those comedy, lifestyle, situational etc.

Definitely see "The Propaganda Game"; new documentary on North Korea, runs at about 1 hour 40 minutes.  Really an eye-opener on how fucking batshit nuts that place is from the inside.

mongers

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 23, 2016, 06:58:20 PM

Definitely see "The Propaganda Game"; new documentary on North Korea, runs at about 1 hour 40 minutes.  Really an eye-opener on how fucking batshit nuts that place is from the inside.

Thanks for that.

So they have a few documentaries then?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

CountDeMoney

Quote from: mongers on September 23, 2016, 07:01:40 PM

Shitloads.  I don't know what that translates to in the UK, though.

lustindarkness

Quote from: lustindarkness on September 22, 2016, 10:35:41 PM
Quote from: lustindarkness on September 22, 2016, 08:45:34 AM
Now I hope it does not ruin the western adaptation I'll watch tonight. But I don't think so, as I love westerns and cowboys speak English :D.

Did not ruin it at all, on the contrary, made me appreciate the adaptation of the Seven Samurai story while still a great western in itself. Definitely a classic of the genre, and what a fucking cast.

And the 2016 version is a fun more lighthearted version with many more horses, shooting and even some explosions. Good? Maybe,  but not magnificent.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

HVC

Quote from: mongers on September 23, 2016, 07:01:40 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 23, 2016, 06:58:20 PM

Thanks for that.

Does Netflix uk not have a trial month?
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

celedhring

So, I went on and fired up old Arrested Development episodes tonight, and I had a real shock when I realized that Lucille is Mallory Archer.  :lol:

Admiral Yi

Watched the tail end of Wild Things, a Spanish anthology film.  Last vignette was about a wedding that blows up because of discovery of cheating.

Two questions for the Spaniards: is the custom of eating pastrami at a wedding reception a real thing?  Why pastrami?  Bad translation of ham?

Is carrying the bride and groom around chairs a Spanish thing or does it mean the bride and groom are Jewish?

celedhring

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 24, 2016, 03:18:05 PM
Watched the tail end of Wild Things, a Spanish anthology film.  Last vignette was about a wedding that blows up because of discovery of cheating.

Two questions for the Spaniards: is the custom of eating pastrami at a wedding reception a real thing?  Why pastrami?  Bad translation of ham?

Is carrying the bride and groom around chairs a Spanish thing or does it mean the bride and groom are Jewish?

It's an Argentinian film, you know... Do all Spanish speakers look the same to you, huh?  :P

CountDeMoney

Send all these Mexicans back to Argentina!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: celedhring on September 24, 2016, 03:20:57 PM
Do all Spanish speakers look the same to you, huh?  :P

Not at all.  There are the white ones and there are the brown ones.

garbon

Quote from: celedhring on September 24, 2016, 03:03:47 PM
So, I went on and fired up old Arrested Development episodes tonight, and I had a real shock when I realized that Lucille is Mallory Archer.  :lol:

You mean Jessica Walter is both? ;)

Anyway, surprised you didn't already know that.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

celedhring

Quote from: garbon on September 24, 2016, 03:24:54 PM
Quote from: celedhring on September 24, 2016, 03:03:47 PM

You mean Jessica Walter is both? ;)

Anyway, surprised you didn't already know that.

Well, there's been almost 10 years in between me watching both shows, so I never made the connection back to AD when I started watching Archer.

Now it seems obvious to me that they wrote Mallory with Lucille in mind.