News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gups

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy last night. Like a who's who of good Brit male actors Oldman, Hurt, Jones, Cumberbatch, Firth, Hardy. Particularly liked Mark Strong as Jim Prideaux. Very nicely shot - looked very sharp but with lots of 70s Britain shades of grey. Don't think it matches up to the Alec Guinness mini-series but does a good enough job.

Berkut

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 05, 2016, 09:38:38 AM
Because America just isn't on edge enough as it is, ABC's been throwing more lighter fluid on the fire and shoving promos of its new series down everyone's throat every chance it gets.

That looks interesting. Sutherland can certainly pull it off.

This came up on youtube right after that:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXZdEmvcFdU

Not sure that movie needs a re-make, even as a TV show...
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Ideologue

Quote from: 11B4V on September 03, 2016, 12:04:36 PM
PW absolutely agree.

Jaws, Star Wars, Rocky, American Graffiti, God father, Apoco Now, Serpico, Blazing Saddles, 10, were blockbusters in their own right. And I dare say better than the Assburger shit of today.

They all made fucktons of money, but the real qualitative difference is that they weren't intentionally planned as big hits.  (Except possibly Apocalypse Now, although in Apocalypse Now's case, it was still very much a passion project--and a boondoggle.)

The first movie that was really planned in the same sense as the modern blockbuster would probably be Superman.  (You could make an argument for Towering Inferno being a precursor, but that was released in a pre-Jaws world.)  Anyway, Superman was ridiculously expensive; it was filmed simultaneously with its sequel; franchise-building was cooked into the screenplay (it is the only rationale for the trial of General Zod, a character who does not reappear until Superman II in 1980); it was a fantasy film intended to appeal to a family audience, including childrens and teens, rather than to the predominantly-adult audiences that ate up New Hollywood style drama; it's self-consciously "epic"; it makes no effort to be brief; and it was heavily, heavily hyped.

It's striking just how similar the industrial production of first Superman was to modern blockbusters, especially superhero flicks--far moreso than Batman, let alone Batman Returns.

P.S.: One way you can tell people are just late-middle-aged, and not necessarily all that committed to "quality filmmaking for adults," or however they'd prefer to phrase it, is by how much they uncritically love Superman and Superman II.

Joan: the robots are coming/here.  Also, fine, maybe the rooms weren't always brown.

Tim: hey, man.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

celedhring

Godfather was very much planned as a big moneymaker. It was adapting the by then best selling novel of all time in the US.

It also had a baked in sequel as all the Young Vito storyline showed up in Godfather II.

Ideologue

I guess The Godfather's a contender.  But did it cost the 2016 equivalent of around $250 million (Superman was enormously expensive) and did Coppola and his producers hope to get families in the theaters, plus repeat viewings?  I dunno.  Haven't looked into it.  (I mean, it's not exactly four-quadrant entertainment, I do remember that much. :P )
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

celedhring

Quote from: Ideologue on September 05, 2016, 04:58:52 PM
I guess The Godfather's a contender.  But did it cost the 2016 equivalent of around $250 million (Superman was enormously expensive) and did Coppola and his producers hope to get families in the theaters, plus repeat viewings?  I dunno.  Haven't looked into it.  (I mean, it's not exactly four-quadrant entertainment, I do remember that much. :P )

Its budget was modest in 2016 dollars, but it was far above the average Hollywood budget of the time. They actually wanted to make it as a small movie at the beginning, even moving the action to 1970s America (!!). That's why a relative unknown like Coppola got the gig. But when the book became hugely successful they bet the farm on it. It was *the* movie from Paramount that year.

Repeat viewings was actually a big part of the Hollywood business model before home video. If you really liked a movie the only chance you had of seeing it again was heading back to the theater, there was no DVD to pick up a few months later.

lustindarkness

No Country for Old Men, what a great dark sad movie with a unexpected anticlimactic ending. No happily ever after in this movie!
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

The Minsky Moment

I agree with Ide on Superman - a lot of the bad blockbuster habits (esp bloat and bogus epicness) can be traced there.  II was snappier and more fun, although not without faults.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Barrister

Quote from: celedhring on September 05, 2016, 05:09:05 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on September 05, 2016, 04:58:52 PM

Its budget was modest in 2016 dollars, but it was far above the average Hollywood budget of the time. They actually wanted to make it as a small movie at the beginning, even moving the action to 1970s America (!!). That's why a relative unknown like Coppola got the gig. But when the book became hugely successful they bet the farm on it. It was *the* movie from Paramount that year.

Repeat viewings was actually a big part of the Hollywood business model before home video. If you really liked a movie the only chance you had of seeing it again was heading back to the theater, there was no DVD to pick up a few months later.

Well not exactly - there was a time when the "Movie of the week" on TV was a big deal, because it was your only other chance to watch last year's big blockbuster.

But I do remember a time when it was not uncommon for movie companies to re-release movies back to the theatres for precisely that reason - so you could go and see an old favourite again.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

CountDeMoney

Superman was as plastic and artificial as the coke-laden, chintzy, artificial-wood-grain era it represents.  As bloated as Brando and his contract, as slow-developing as Carter Administration energy policy.

Worse misuse of a bad guy in Mistah Lootoor ever.  Even watching it in the theater as a kid, couldn't understand why he wouldn't rather swim in old Central Station and fuck Miss Tessbocker all day instead.  Meh.

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

CountDeMoney

Best scene was watching that anorexic cokehead get crushed in a Ford.

Josquius

Bbc has a classic sitcom season going on.
They've made a new episode of are you being served - rather good.
And more exciting for me a sequel to goodnight sweetheart - has a nice man from the 90s the 10s air about it rather than the 90s to 40s of the original.
██████
██████
██████

Jacob

Just watched Casablanca again. It's been a while.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Jacob on September 06, 2016, 04:07:33 PM
Just watched Casablanca again. It's been a while.

Pretty sure it's got the same ending.